My cider tastes like throw up......help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambiying

Reaction score
That's the best I can describe it. The sour taste you get in the back of your throat after you drank too much and threw up. Yeah, that's the taste of my cider.

It was 6 gallons of apple juice, sugar and EC-1118 yeast, started at 1.052, down to .990. I then racked and added potassium sorbate and some pectic enzyme. Then added sugar and 2 cans of Treetop apple juice concentrate to backsweeten....went up to 1.015. I can taste the sweetness, but also the sour taste.

Is this something that should go away as the cider ages or do I just have gross cider? Should I add more sugar?

That's the best I can describe it. The sour taste you get in the back of your throat after you drank too much and threw up. Yeah, that's the taste of my cider.

It was 6 gallons of apple juice, sugar and EC-1118 yeast, started at 1.052, down to .990. I then racked and added potassium sorbate and some pectic enzyme. Then added sugar and 2 cans of Treetop apple juice concentrate to backsweeten....went up to 1.015. I can taste the sweetness, but also the sour taste.

Is this something that should go away as the cider ages or do I just have gross cider? Should I add more sugar?

How much sorbate did you add? Also, was the cider completely clear when you racked and then added the sorbate? The reason I ask is that if the cider wasn't completely clear and without much yeast in suspension, the sorbate just stresses the yeast and creates a pretty bad flavor. Sometimes, MLF happens in cider, and with sorbate added the flavor and aroma becomes like geraniums (geraniol) but it doesn't sound like that's the problem here.

I'm guessing it's the sorbate & malic acid from the added concentrate. Excess malic can sometimes be perceived as having a "bile-like" taste. But I wouldn't call 2 cans of added FAJC in 6 gallons "Excessive," I've added 3 times that & never gotten that flavour. I'd bet money it's something reacting with the sorbate.
Only thing I can think of is to let it bulk age for a while. Time can work serious magic. That nasty flavour might age out.
Regards, GF.

I'm guessing it went sour. I've tasted sour beers that gave me that same sensation and flavor.

I added 3 teaspoons of sorbate according to package instructions. It tasted sour before I added that and the concentrate though. When it got down to .990 and was sour, I then added the sugar and sorbate thinking that would help the taste. Yeah, it didn't. I guess I'll just let it sit awhile.

I added 3 teaspoons of sorbate according to package instructions. It tasted sour before I added that and the concentrate though. When it got down to .990 and was sour, I then added the sugar and sorbate thinking that would help the taste. Yeah, it didn't. I guess I'll just let it sit awhile.

For your next cider, wait until the cider is clear before racking onto the sorbate (dissolved in some water). Don't ever add it to the vessel, as then the sorbate can't "work", since there are lees (sediment) present. Also, never add the sugar at the same time- add it later. If it was sour before that, the sorbate issue isn't the cause but it will make the cider taste terrible (but not sour) if it's not done correctly.

Someone with more experience please chime in here but it sounds to me like it may have become oxidized. Is it slightly vingary?

Back