My cider project.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twankis

Reaction score
I have a somewhat different project going on with my cider making lately testing pressurized fermentation and underpitching/stressing to (hopefully) produce green apple "off-flavors".

Round 1:
Added 4 gallons of Whitehouse apple cider to a sanitized keg.
Capped keg, shook and put on my DIY spunding set to 30PSI.
Fermented for 6 days and took a reading of 1.006.
Tasted slightly sweet and very applely so I moved to the kegerator and served.
Ended up being a little over-carbonated but after some degassing it was pouring nicely. Very good cider flavor that was sweet enough to be noticed but not cloying like some of the mass produced stuff.

Round 2:
After Round 1 was done I got 4 more gallons of cider and 2 apple juice concentrates ready.
Opened the keg and dumped the remaining trub.
Flipped it back upright and added the cider and juice concentrate.
Capped keg, shook and put on my DIY spunding set to 20PSI.
Fermented this one for about 6 days as well and moved it to the kegerator when it was 1.010.
Carbonation was almost perfect on this one after a day of getting cold. Much cloudier than the first but for my preference that doesn't matter and has no noticeable effect on the flavor. I think I would have let this one go another day though to get below 1.01. It's just barely too sweet.

Round 3:
TBD - Cider is purchased and will be using the same technique as Round 2 for this one.

Edit: Should probably note, the origional yeast was just a half pack of US-05

Last edited:
Back