My belgian pale ale is black.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin22

Reaction score
So decided to transfer my belgian pale ale after 2 weeks into a secondary. It looked pale in the siphon tube but is now a dark blackish color in the secondary. Will this clear up?

The color of a beer is gauged by its color in a 2" glass tube. You are probably looking through a lot more than that. If you post your recipe we can try to figure out what color you should expect.

1/2 lb belgian pale ale matl
1/2 lb Caravienne
5lbs extra pale extract
2lbs Munich extract
1 oz hersbrucker
1/2 oz styrian gold

It looks dark in the secondary way more than two inchs. In the siphon tube its really light. The siphon tube is maybe 1/3 inch thick

It will look much better in bottles, or in your beer mug. Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

Having said that, I used to work at a chemical storage facility, and we had to do optical tests of certain chemicals... I was amazed at the difference between colour choices in tubes... everything looked clear looking at them normally, but when looking down the tube at 10 inches of liquid, the colour differences look stunning. That's why everyone is going to ask if your beer is in primary / secondary carboy. Everything looks darker when not in a clear glass beer mug or clear bottle.

Did you use liquid or malt extract and boil all your extract for 60 minutes? Extract, especially LME, can carmelize and darken your beer.

My first pale ale - and first batch - used all Plain LME and came out very amber. I have suspected it's because of the LME. I now make late additions of DME for all batches present and future.

Your color will not be nearly as dark as in your carboy. You should see the color of my Amber right now! Don't worry, relax, have a homebrew.

Back