My Beer Tastes like.... Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerHound

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing and am working on my first batch. I brewed the Smooth Nut Brown kit from midwest supplies about 11 days ago. I finally broke down and popped off the top to see how it was doing. The krausen ring was visible and it looked like beer inside. I took a gravity reading (1.011) and tasted the sample. It tasted like flat lukewarm beer! I'm pretty excited. I am going to wait another week before bottling, but I just thought I post about a good brewing experience so far.

I'm new to brewing and am working on my first batch. I brewed the Smooth Nut Brown kit from midwest supplies about 11 days ago. I finally broke down and popped off the top to see how it was doing. The krausen ring was visible and it looked like beer inside. I took a gravity reading (1.011) and tasted the sample. It tasted like flat lukewarm beer! I'm pretty excited. I am going to wait another week before bottling, but I just thought I post about a good brewing experience so far.

Good Deal.. Welcome to the obsession. And Kudos for having the patience to wait! Also make sure you read :https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

I'm sitting on my first brew myself. Started a Midwest "liberty cream ale" on Dec 26th. I've resisted temptation so far....but I'm thinking that I will have to crack the lid this weekend and at least take a reading.

Congratulations on your first brew! :mug: You are right to let the beer sit in the fermenter 2 weeks or more. However, do not use the calendar as a tool for measuring fermentation. Take hydro readings several days apart. If, and only if, they are the same, is it safe to bottle!

Congrats!!! Now you get to go through the torture of deciding what to brew next. So many recipes to choose from, so few fermenters to fill :D

good work

My first batch has been in primary for 20 days now. decided to wait 21 before cracking the lid and taking my first gravity reading. Then i plan on taking a gravity reading the following 2 days. then bottling at about the 24th day.

can't wait. i too think my first batch went well.

Yup, right now I am looking for a good deal on my next kit. I'm thinking about doing a Fat Tire Clone or an IPA.

It tasted like flat lukewarm beer! I'm pretty excited. I am going to wait another week before bottling, but I just thought I post about a good brewing experience so far.

You probably need to dump that batch, sounds infected.

Kidding, of course, and welcome to the hobby... just wait it carbs up and chills, you'll wonder why you haven't started more NOW. :)

Back