My back doesn't want to lift anymore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurfBrew

Reaction score
My 4 bad discs decided they do not want to lift buckets of beer anymore. I was thinking about putting my fermenters in my chest freezer and pumping from my BK into them. I guess I would also need to go to an aeration system since I wouldn't be shaking the fermenters anymore. Anybody try this?

Thanks
Bob

I was thinking about putting my fermenters in my chest freezer and pumping from my BK into them.
I don't have many solutions.
The two pics may help you to get an idea.
Option #1
Freezer_Door2.jpg

Option #2
Winch001.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

My 4 bad discs decided they do not want to lift buckets of beer anymore. I was thinking about putting my fermenters in my chest freezer and pumping from my BK into them. I guess I would also need to go to an aeration system since I wouldn't be shaking the fermenters anymore. Anybody try this?

Thanks
Bob

If ANYONE has the process down it is ClaudiusB!

I am right there with you... My 46 yo back simply can't do much of anything anymore. Up until just a few months ago I literally carried this pot with 11 gallons and set it up into the fermenter. I just can't do it now. I hurt my back pretty good. Now I just pump it over. I have adjusted my recipe to account for any volume loss in the hoses I now have but man is life SOOOOO much easier!

I would say to use a smaller diameter hose to minimize your losses if that is a worry...

true.jpg

Hell i'm only 56. Hey Lonnie Mac, what is the inside measurements of that True cooler and any model number would be great. Thanks.

SurfBrew;
I feel your pain as today is only day 26 after plasma surgery where they cut away two discs pressing on the spinal nerves, even Percocets and Morphine Sulphate had me in tears with pain 24/7, I was beyond the use of meds. Now on the slow mend but damn it's slow and painful. Morning get ups are a think about it for 20 minutes before I face the morning pain and stiffness. I was told it will take 2 to 6 months even longer to heal up plus the pain to slowly go away. Well 6 months is better than the last 7 years of getting worse with my injuries.

Hey Cladius;
I have a question without stealing this thread, where did you get your O2 stone as I recall it had a long stainless tube going to it besides a rather large diameter stone. I'm useless on the mend with a little more walking and moving around every day that's all I can do. Better nights sleep but can not go more than 6 hours without a percocet still. Beats every 2 hours plus don't fall asleep and wake up past perk time the pain is killer tear time.

That picture of your O2 stone sticking thru the end plate disk has been bugging me a long time, where did you get it and the specs on it by length and diameter of the stone plus the feed tube to it would be a great help.

Yes a brewing system for a person with a bad back in mind is a way to go especially if your already hurting, this is how I must build my next brewing system as I want to move around up to 20 plus gallons in a single brew batch down to 5 gallons.

I'am very pleased so far but still hurt as I was beyond meds and had to do something, I feel better but not pain free only time will tell plus to not do something that will damage what was repaired. You know what I mean, those rare I feel good days I think I can lift that without help then hurt like hell for the next 3 days after. Been doing this for 7 years until this surgery. Take care hope your feeling better. Carl......

Hell i'm only 56. Hey Lonnie Mac, what is the inside measurements of that True cooler and any model number would be great. Thanks.

SurfBrew;
I fee your pain as today is only day 26 after plasma surgery where they cut away two discs pressing on the spinal nerves, even Percocets and Morphine Sulphate had me in tears with pain 24/7, I was beyond the use of meds. Now on the slow mend but damn it's slow and painful. Morning get ups are a think about it for 20 minutes before I face the moring pain and stiffness. I was told it will take 2 to 6 months even longer to heal up plus the pain to slowly go away. Well 6 months is better than the last 7 years of getting worse with my injuries.

Hey Cladius;
I have a question without stealing this thread, where did you get your O2 stone as I recall it had a long stainless tube going to it besides a rather large diameter stone. I'm useless on the mend with a little more walking and moving around every day that's all I can do. Better nights sleep but can not go more than 6 hours without a percocet still. Beats every 2 hours plus don't fall asleep and wake up past perk time the pain is killer tear time.

That picture of your O2 stone sticking thru the end plate disk has been bugging me a long time, where did you get it and the specs on it by length and diameter of the stone plus the feed tube to it would be a great help.

Yes a brewing system for a person with a bad back in mind is a way to go especially if your already hurting, this is how I must build my next brewing system as I want to move around up to 20 plus gallons in a single brew batch down to 5 gallons.

I'am very pleased so far but still hurt as I was beyond meds and had to do something, I feel better but not pain free only time will tell plus to not do something that will damage what was repaired. You know what I mean, those rare I feel good days I think I can lift that without help then hurt like hell for the next 3 days after. Been doing this for 7 years until this surgery. Take care hope your feeling better. Carl......

That my friend is a True GDM 10... Very common for an "end of isle" cooler you normally see. I am finding that this is one of the best purchases I have ever made and I am looking for another one as we speak!

Dims internal:

19.5 wide
21.5 deep
35.5 high

Very nice cooler. You can usually pick up one on craigslist pretty reasonable... I paid 400 for mine in almost like new condition... Not bad for a commercial cooler...

As for your backs, I am so sorry my friends... Mine pale in comparison. Moonbeam's (swmbo) on the other hand is pretty serious too... She has another opp scheduled next week actually...

That my friend is a True GDM 10... Very common for an "end of isle" cooler you normally see. I am finding that this is one of the best purchases I have ever made and I am looking for another one as we speak!

Dims internal:

19.5 wide
21.5 deep
35.5 high

Very nice cooler. You can usually pick up one on craigslist pretty reasonable... I paid 400 for mine in almost like new condition... Not bad for a commercial cooler...

As for your backs, I am so sorry my friends... Mine pale in comparison. Moonbeam's (swmbo) on the other hand is pretty serious too... She has another opp scheduled next week actually...

Thanks for the information, that is one nice looking cooler. I got out of the construction trade last working day in 10-02, industrial electrician. I did do a lot of store remodels hence carbonators with pumps that they use on Miller welders so I built my own torch cooler. I never got a chance to grab a small cooler, even when working Safeway store remodels. I do have a Corny frig made by Corny that holds one Pepsi container with tap and spill tray. A Coke corny is a little wider and will not fit in. I'm looking for a frig like yours for my corny's plus a small frig to hold two 15.5 gallon kegs with a fermenting cone added to the bottom for a couple DIY fermenters. A long ways off as i'm on the mend. My surgeon is better than anyone from Stanford Medical, i'm more than happy just the slow recovery has me down and i'm hyper.
Good luck and my prayers for your wifes surgery. The back when hurts your life is not comfortable or normal. The wife has two new knees, all the family has bad knees. She feels great at 57 and was hurting since age 19 ending up bone on bone. I just hope my son 18 and daughter 15 don't get the wifes bad knees from her side.
My thoughts are with you and your wife as this is no simple finger surgery.
Thanks for the specs and take care. Carl.....

Thanks for the help guys.
I am going to do it. Nothing like a new project!

Beemer good luck with the heal.

Hey Cladius;

From this
Keg Carbonation Stone @ Williams Brewing

to this
OxygenStone.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Thanks Claudius B. that was exactly what I was looking for.
Fully thing Williams Brewing supply is less than 6 miles away from me.
I was next door looking at a granite counter for my rental house and stumbled into Williams brewing. They are a small 1/4 of a small building with only 30% of the floor covered with supplies.They must take an order then call their supplier, just a middle man and tack on their profit. The lady was nice but one of the men from the office was just flat rude like I saw something secret. I'm not sleeping with them and shipping will be cheap so i'll come out ahead and order one.
I will check their web. If I can not find your stone what is the micron size and the length of the rod, just ball park? The diameter? End of questions I promise. That way I can sketch up a simple sight window design. I'll use a .5 to 15 LPM hospital medical O2 flow meter off a 260 Cu/ft welding bottle. Bottle was free still has 1,900 psi. I have Victor 100 series gauges and regulators, cutting torch so a easy and better yet cheap addition to this hobby madness.
Call me cheap. Today was day 60 the maximum for my SSD hearing notice award that was approved. One step and day at a time. Then the 120 day SSD clock starts. Thanks again Claudius B. Take care brew on....

BrewBeemer wrote:
If I can not find your stone what is the micron size and the length of the rod, just ball park?

My stone is from Williams as posted above.

Rod, original length with stone: 22"
Rod, cut down to 5" as required for my setup
Rod diameter: 5/32"

Stone pore size: 2 micron

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Hey new guy question here. For sterilizing the pump I thought I would recirculate boiling wort for awhile. For the output line I thought I would use quick disconnects so I could just sanitize it in a bucket. Sound right?

Thanks

My stone is from Williams as posted above.

Rod, original length with stone: 22"
Rod, cut down to 5" as required for my setup
Rod diameter: 5/32"

Stone pore size: 2 micron

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

May be a stupid question but i'll ask anyway, is there a difference between using a 2 micron vs a 0.5 micron stone if the stone is within the sight glass and the bubble amount given off is adjusted to match each other in the outcome of the O2 amount in the final wort just before the fermentation process gets started? Has anyone used both stones on the same batch and their outcome? Granted any O2 is the best way to go and maybe splitting hairs here.
The best part is the tubing length allows one to custom build a sight window and has plenty of tubing to allow it to place the stone in the sight window fo see how much O2 is given off. Plan "B" would be to add SS tubing to a 0.5 micron stone and just a waste of time making what the 2 micron sone already has to offer in length. Just on the scratch paper design stage as i'm useless to build at the moment. Spare time makes the mind go wild on ideas.
Thanks ClaudiusB. for showing your setup.

Back