American IPA My 2-time gold winning American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed this over the holiday weekend. going to dry hop in a few days. followed the recipe exactly and hit my numbers. hopefully in 3 weeks ill have it cold and carbed in a glass.

I know this post is old but I would like to try this beer out. Do you know the AAU of the hops and could I substitue one of them for citra if so what one.

When I made this beer I subbed Citra for Chinook in the boil, and also subbed one ounce of Citra leaf for one ounce of Cascade in the dry hop. Turned out FANTASTIC!

When I made this beer I subbed Citra for Chinook in the boil, and also subbed one ounce of Citra leaf for one ounce of Cascade in the dry hop. Turned out FANTASTIC!

I believe I did the same exact thing, and it was terrific. Although, I think the original recipe base beer is to credit with how well every good hop is showcased. I really don't think you can screw up this recipe!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just started cold crashing my batch. Cant wait to try it cold and carbed. hydro sample was good. Came in dry 1.006. My mash temps were low, 151.

Can someone tell me what to expect by replacing the torrified wheat with flaked barley? My LHBS was out of the wheat so they recommended the barley. It's fermenting now, already down to 1.011 after 4 days and still going, albeit very slowly. Tastes delicious so far!

I also used Amarillo instead of Willamette.

I have a stupid question... What do I do with the torrified wheat? Crush it or not? Mash it full time?
/Jensa

I'm going to try this tomorrow. Substituting home grown cascade leaf for the cascade pellets. 10g batch. Also white labs East Coast Ale Yeast, since I am on the East Coast. Got the starter stirring. Anybody try the WLP008 before? Thoughts? Sounds yummy to me!

Can someone tell me what to expect by replacing the torrified wheat with flaked barley? My LHBS was out of the wheat so they recommended the barley. It's fermenting now, already down to 1.011 after 4 days and still going, albeit very slowly. Tastes delicious so far!

I also used Amarillo instead of Willamette.

Torrified wheat is heated/toasted wheat, it's not barley. Flaked barley is great for head retention. You will still get a great tasting beer either way, but wheat is wheat and barley is barley.

Torrified Wheat has been heat treated (kind of "popped")to break the cellular structure, allowing for rapid hydration and allows malt enzymes to more completely attack the starches and protein. Torrified Wheat can be used in place of raw wheat in Belgian style Wit-Beers, also very good for adding body and head, especially to English ales. Since it has not been malted, you can't sub it for malted wheat. Because it's not malted, it needs to be mashed with a diastatic malt in order to convert the starches.

Just poured a pint out of my keg last night. Its a very good IPA. Will snap a pic later and post it.

I'm going to do a split batch of this sometime soon.
I'm stocked up with a load of different hops that I have never used before.
I'll do 5 gallons the same as the original recipe but I'd like to use something different for the other 5 gallons.

I'd like to try Summit and Aurora (super styrian) plus one more hop from the following:

Columbus, Citra, Galaxy, Falconer's Flight, Nugget, East Kent Goldings

Any opinions on which would work best and which would be the best choice of for dry hopping?

Thanks! :tank:

Just had a homebrew IPA that used Galaxy for dry hopping. It was a solid IPA, but the Galaxy made that one the best smelling beer EVER.

Just had a homebrew IPA that used Galaxy for dry hopping. It was a solid IPA, but the Galaxy made that one the best smelling beer EVER.

Sounds promising. I just remembered that I have 3.5oz of Belma in my hops freezer too. I read on a thread here that Belma and Galaxy go well together.

So maybe a combo of Belma, Galaxy and Aurora?
I wonder how that would work.:drunk:

I have never done a 90 minute boil before, how much water should I dough-in, add after the mash has completed before vorlauf, and then add for sparging? What should my target volume be before the boil? I am doing a single-infusion mash and shooting for 5 gallons post-boil. Thanks!!

I've made this brew twice and both times they were delicious. Just finished the Jalapeno Cream Ale recipe from HBT and that is also delicious. I think my next attempt with this recipe will entail jalapenos. What do you think?

Hi,
I'm preparing to make this beer with small modification and I have one question.
How long should the beer stay in bottles after bottling to get the proper co2 level and flavour?

Thanks in advance for answer.

Just tapped my first keg of this yesterday, and man is this a great beer! I made a 10 gallon batch, exactly as listed. Everything went perfect, and fermented at 68 for 9 days, then dry hopped for 5. Put into two kegs, and force carbed at 40 PSI for 24 hours and it was DELICIOUS last night!

Pretty impressed at how fast this came around. Just about 2 weeks from grain to glass. I will for sure be making this one again, excellent IPA

How long should the beer stay in bottles after bottling to get the proper co2 level and flavour?

Stored at 70F, this will probably be carbonated after 2 weeks plus 24hrs in the fridge. Sometimes it needs another week. It will still be good at 3 months, but the sooner you drink it, the "juicier" those hops come across.

I've brewed this twice already with minor modifications, I must say, this is an amazing beer. OG on 3 batches of 1.068 and FG of 1.010 Thanks. I only dry hopped for 3 days with Citra.

Phenomenal! I took a gravity reading at 8 days and after tasting I am going straight to keg. This is so good I drank 2 glasses from the primary. Well done to Enohcs!

Killed my first keg of this, have one left. I'm brewing this one again next! Never have I done back to back of the same brew! Amazing recipe. Had this alongside with a sculpin, and I thought this beer was much better. Thanks OP for sharing this AWESOME recipe! This will be my go to from now on when I want a killer ipa! Brew this one peeps

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Question, I put this recipe into beersmith, but had to convert it to metric as I'm based in Sweden. After I entered all the hops, including the 14 day dry-hopping I ended up with an IBU of 34, which is way off what the recipe says on the first page. As far as I can tell I've entered all the amounts completely correctly. Is this a Beersmith thing? Should I continue with the recipe as is or scale it up to the correct IBU that is listed in the recipe?

Does anybody know the aau's of the hops used in the original recipe? I couldn't find it in a search and don't want to have to read this entire thread.

Does anybody know the aau's of the hops used in the original recipe? I couldn't find it in a search and don't want to have to read this entire thread.

As it happens, I still have the original ingredients written down.
Chinook was 15%
Willamette was 4.6%
Cascade was 4.7%

Brewed this last weekend for my first ever home brew. It smells fantastic fermenting I am super psyched to try a taste test in a few weeks. I made many mistakes (it was my first brew after all) yet I think I'm still going to have a very good beer from this. Thanks again for the recipe Enochs!

I've brewed this twice. Very nice beer, goes down smooth and gulpable. Is that even a word? Thinking about turning my next batch into a jalapeño AIPA. Anyone have experience with this recipe and adding peppers?

What do you mean like dry hopping the finished beer with peppers or putting them in the boil or where do they come into the process?

a friend of my SWMBO, gave us some roasted New Mexico Chilli Peppers.....was thinking of maybe using them instead of the jalepeno. yes or no?

My first ever batch of beer, thanks to this thread! I can finally RDWAHAHB and I'm super happy about it! :rockin:

Homebrew 1.jpg

Just brewed this with a few tweaks based on available hops and it was superb! Only problem is I can't stop drinking it and it's only been in the bottle for a week. Didn't dry hop but love every drop.

I noticed OP has 65 IBU's. Im getting around 80. Is anyone else getting higher IBU?

Packerfan, new mexican chiles usually have fantastic flavor - did any of that flavor come through in your beer?

Latest posts

Back