"The Juice Is Worth The Squeeze" Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT's AZ Ale Haus

Reaction score
The Juice Is Worth The Squeeze.jpg
I finally settled on what will be my 3rd Brew.
I should be starting it in 3 weeks, I'll keep you posted.
It's kind of a Grapefruit Sculpin/Fresh Squeezed Hybrid Clone

“The Juice Is Worth The Squeeze”
Imperial IPA

Grain Bill
15# American 2 Row
1.25# Munich Light
.75# Crystal 20L

Hops
.5oz Chinook – 60min
.5oz Chinook – 45min
1oz Cascade – 30min
1oz Citra – 15min
1oz Mosaic – 15min
1oz Citra – Dry hop 7 days
1oz Mosaic – Dry hop 7 days

Yeast
White Labs WLP001

Water
8 gallons RO
1 packet Beer Dust IPA

Mash
5.5 Gals 150° - 75 minutes
2.5 Gals 170° - Sparge

Additions
1 tab Whirlfloc - 15 mins
2oz Dried Grapefruit peel – Flameout
2oz Dried Grapefruit peel – Dry Hop 7 Days

Notes
OG - 1.073
FG - 1.015
ABV - 7.5
IBU – 90
Efficiency – 70%
Boil time – 75mins

I'm interested. I've not heard of this. Is it a recipe you came up with yourself?

I've never heard of Beer Dust. I'm assuming it's just a mix of gypsum, Epsom salts and others? I'll have to look in to this.

I've also never encountered dried grapefruit peel. Though I've never really looked.

You definitely have my attention. I'm going to look in to this and maybe brew this in the next month or two.

I'm interested. I've not heard of this. Is it a recipe you came up with yourself?

I've never heard of Beer Dust. I'm assuming it's just a mix of gypsum, Epsom salts and others? I'll have to look in to this.

I've also never encountered dried grapefruit peel. Though I've never really looked.

You definitely have my attention. I'm going to look in to this and maybe brew this in the next month or two.
Yes it's my recipe, but it is for everyone to share. I would love your feedback when you brew it.
Yes "Beer Dust" is a water agent for RO water, It takes all the guess work out. I've only read good reviews(other than price) $4.99, once I gain more knowledge about brewing I'll more than likely do my own chemistry.

I used grapefruit in my first brew will little fan fare, but to be honest, I only used 1oz in secondary to dry hop.

This go round I've bumped to 4oz at 2 stages.

I'll post my brew day and review back here once I brew this. It's probably going to be later in September or early October. I have a Chinook IPA up next. This would be after that.

Thanks for posting!

Is this recipe for 1-2 gallons? You are missing some hops, like a lot, at least for my taste and others that enjoy Imperial IPAs with a punch.

If you insist on a 60 minutes bittering charge, use more and get like 40% of the IBUs with that charge. You might want to skip using hops mid boil and before the last 15 minutes in the boil. Add more hops in the last 15 minutes and whirlpool. I think whirlpooling is one step I would not skip in an IPA, whatever kind it is. Dry hopping also needs more hops.

Mash temperature could be lower, as you are adding Munich and some Crystal malt. You want a lower FG, as you are going for a West Coast style DIPA.

Citra and Mosaic will give lots of tropical fruit. To enhance the " grapefruit " notes, you would want some more Amarillo, Chinoook and Cascade, if you like. Simcoe could also work in the mix.

Cheers!

Is this recipe for 1-2 gallons? You are missing some hops, like a lot, at least for my taste and others that enjoy Imperial IPAs with a punch.

If you insist on a 60 minutes bittering charge, use more and get like 40% of the IBUs with that charge. You might want to skip using hops mid boil and before the last 15 minutes in the boil. Add more hops in the last 15 minutes and whirlpool. I think whirlpooling is one step I would not skip in an IPA, whatever kind it is. Dry hopping also needs more hops.

Mash temperature could be lower, as you are adding Munich and some Crystal malt. You want a lower FG, as you are going for a West Coast style DIPA.

Citra and Mosaic will give lots of tropical fruit. To enhance the " grapefruit " notes, you would want some more Amarillo, Chinoook and Cascade, if you like. Simcoe could also work in the mix.

Cheers!
That is a lot of helpful info,
Thank you very much.

That's why I love this site, some much help.

I just picked up 8 oz of Mosaic and have been wanting to try the Citra/Mosaic combo. Post back how this recipe turns out.

View attachment 586038 I finally settled on what will be my 3rd Brew.
I should be starting it in 3 weeks, I'll keep you posted.
It's kind of a Grapefruit Sculpin/Fresh Squeezed Hybrid Clone

“The Juice Is Worth The Squeeze”
Imperial IPA

Grain Bill
15# American 2 Row
1.25# Munich Light
.75# Crystal 20L

Hops
.5oz Chinook – 60min
.5oz Chinook – 45min
1oz Cascade – 30min
1oz Citra – 15min
1oz Mosaic – 15min
1oz Citra – Dry hop 7 days
1oz Mosaic – Dry hop 7 days

Yeast
White Labs WLP001

Water
8 gallons RO
1 packet Beer Dust IPA

Mash
5.5 Gals 150° - 75 minutes
2.5 Gals 170° - Sparge

Additions
1 tab Whirlfloc - 15 mins
2oz Dried Grapefruit peel – Flameout
2oz Dried Grapefruit peel – Dry Hop 7 Days

Notes
OG - 1.073
FG - 1.015
ABV - 7.5
IBU – 90
Efficiency – 70%
Boil time – 75mins
Sorry about the lack of detail on the boil.
It should be a 7.5 gal boil, finishing at 5.5 gal into the fermenter.

I finally was able to brew this. It came out great.

I did have to make some adjustments for equipment and to work with the hops I had on hand. The full recipe with beerXML file is available on my website here: https://brewingaroundtherealm.com/the-juice-is-worth-the-squeeze-imperial-grapefruit-ipa/

The only major issue I had was that the grapefruit zest will clog your keg dip tube if you don't filter it out. I had to remove the outpost from my keg several times during serving to clean it.

I finally was able to brew this. It came out great.

I did have to make some adjustments for equipment and to work with the hops I had on hand. The full recipe with beerXML file is available on my website here: https://brewingaroundtherealm.com/the-juice-is-worth-the-squeeze-imperial-grapefruit-ipa/

The only major issue I had was that the grapefruit zest will clog your keg dip tube if you don't filter it out. I had to remove the outpost from my keg several times during serving to clean it.
That is awesome, I enjoyed the video.
It's kind of funny, seeing someone else make your beer, kind of proud.

It is a very Grapefruit forward beer.

CHEERS

Back