First Attempt at an IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnidons-Brewing

Reaction score
Let me know what you think, this is my first attempt at an IPA recipe:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WYeast 1217-PC (West Coast IPA) [2 Vials]
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7days @ 68f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14days @ 68f

Mash at 154 for 60min.
American Rahr (2 row) Pale: 11.50lbs
American Briess Crystal 20 1.00lbs
American Briess Light Munich 0.75lbs
American Briess Carapils 0.75lbs
American Briess Torrified Wheat 0.25lbs

Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 30min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 30min
Nugget (Pellet) 0.5oz 15min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 15min
Nugget (Pellet) 1oz 5min
Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary

How does this sound to everyone? Looking for some opinions before trying it.

You might want to simplify the grist a bit and move the hops around. A lot of people (myself included) like to go with mostly base malt and little to no crystal, but others do like to add some in. You could try dropping the Carapils and just staying with the C20. 5% by weight is a good amount, but the 7% you have will work too. I would consider dropping the torrified wheat, since you're getting foam and body producing dextrins from the Crystal anyway. You're mid range mash temp will help in that regard too.

As for the hops, the calculated IBUs are over 100 and its usually best to push most additions towards the end of the boil, 15 minutes or later. You could safely load the majority of yours to 10 minutes and less with a small bittering charge to get the IBUs you want. Maybe 0.5 oz Nugget at 60 minutes, with the rest spread as late addition.

I agree with the above poster. Drop the carapils and wheat. Maybe do a 60min addition of Chinook then add the rest of your hops in the last 5-10 mins or at flameout. I don't think a 90 minute boil is necessary. 60min should be fine.

So, something like this perhaps:

Boiling Time (Minutes): 60

Mash at 154 for 60min.

Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 60min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 30min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz [Flameout]
Nugget (Pellet) 1oz 5min [Flameout]
Nugget (Pellet) 0.5oz 5min
Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary

Does this look better?

Thanks guys for the critique, trying to adjust and tweak it before brewing it. Refining it before brewing sounds like a good idea.

Looks much better. I'd probably move that 30 min Cascade addition to the last 5 min though. Not a big fan of 30min additions. You don't get much flavor/aroma out of them. I don't know how many IBUs you're aiming for but if the 1 oz of Chinook isn't enough you can move the 0.5oz of Nugget to the 60 min addition to get some more IBUs. How long were you planning on dry hopping? I find 3-5 days works well for me.

I had read about only dry-hopping for 2 days. So hearing you say 3-5 days is interesting. Is 2 days not enough to really get anything out of it?

So, tweaking the recipe a bit, given what you say cswis, here goes:

Boiling Time (Minutes): 60

Mash at 154 for 60min.

Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 60min
Nugget (Pellet) 1oz 5min [Flameout]
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 5min

Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary [3 Days]

You might want to simplify the grist a bit and move the hops around. A lot of people (me included) like to go with mostly base malt and little to no crystal, but others do like to add some in. You could try dropping the Carapils and just staying with the C20. 5% by weight is a good amount, but the 7% you have will work too. I would consider dropping the torrified wheat, since you're getting foam and body producing dextrins from the Crystal anyway. You're mid range mash temp will help in that regard too.

As for the hops, the calculated IBUs are over 100 and its usually best to push most additions towards the end of the boil, 15 minutes or later. You could safely load the majority of yours to 10 minutes and less with a small bittering charge to get the IBUs you want. Maybe 0.5 oz Nugget at 60 minutes, with the rest spread as late addition.

From your previous posts and including this one, I'd consider your suggestions show you are a skilled recipe builder. I always smile when I see torrified wheat mentioned as one brewer called it (by mistake) "terrified wheat".

From your previous posts and including this one, I'd consider your suggestions show you are a skilled recipe builder. I always smile when I see torrified wheat mentioned as one brewer called it (by mistake) "terrified wheat".

I don't know if I qualify as skilled, but persistent for sure. Thanks for the kind words!
:mug:

Just put it all into BeerSmith. It's saying final estimated OG is 1.015

IBUs (Tinseth) is 47.7
ABV is between 5.5-7.5%.

Bitterness ratio is 0.691

Seems to be on the low-end of ABV/IBUs, but not really a bad thing. A bit above a session but not on the high-end of IPAs or a DIPA.

I definitely appreciate the help rhys333.

What do you think of my newest tweaks to it?

Looks good to me too. You could move 0.5 oz of your Chinook bittering forward to 10 minutes and your 0.5 oz Nugget back to 10 also. You'll balance out around 50 IBUs, and a bit higher if you let it rest off-boil for for 5-8 minutes before chilling. You can also skip secondary fermentation too if you want. Most of us just leave it in primary until finished and then package. :mug:

What are the pros/cons to doing just primary and no secondary?

Pros -less work, fewer transfers/handling (less chance of contamination) no need for a second fermentation container, fewer times opening so less introduction to oxygen.

Cons - may not be quite as clear as an IPA that was allowed to settle out and transfered.

Just my two cents here, but I would use Nugget for bittering and use Chinook for aroma. I really like Nugget for bittering and feel that given you've already got some Nugget going in at 5 minutes, the Chinook will give you a nice added layer of aroma. See below.

Nugget (Pellet) 1oz 60min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 5min
Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 5min [Flameout]

Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary [3 Days]

Back