multiplying yeast before brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukesbb37

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered and I apologize in advance. I have been searching for this for about 20min and i cant exactly describe what im trying to do, so i cant find much on it.

I am currently washing yeast the traditional method and i find it annoying. Not the end of the world, but annoying.

Could i buy a pack of wyeast, add 3 or 4 ounces of wort, let it roll for a day or two, and then split it up into 3 more 1.5oz vials and store it? I know they would need a starter to get going again...

Or... option 2... would i need to add a lot more wort, store them in mason jars for a few days until the yeast fall out, pour off the top water and then keep the last ounce to store in the vials.

I would go with option two, of the methods you are considering. Why not store the yeast in a larger container, than a vial. Storing in a vial seems to just complicate the process, unless you are using glycerin and are planning on freezing the yeast.
Harvesting yeast is simple. The traditional method is a pain and not very good. Leave about eight ounces of beer in your fermentor. Swirl it all up. Pour into a sanitized quart jar.
You can harvest cleaner yeast by straining out the hop debris when pouring into the fermentor.

Honestly, i just like the vials in my fridge better than the mason jars. Its mainly aesthetic, but if i want to store a bunch of yeasts, I dont really have room for 10-12 mason jars in the fridge, so i want to use vials. Also, i happen to have a dozen 1.5oz glass vials from another project laying around.

So the plan is to use a cup of DME with 4 cups of water, pitch the yeast straight from the smack pack, let it go for a day or two, then rack it into three 20oz mason jars. Mason jars go in the fridge for a few days, then i pour off most of the liquid and try to keep the last ounce for the vial.

I am a bit worried about only letting the starter go for a day before i rack it. Should i put the mason jar lids down really loosely so that it doesn't pressurize/ explode? Or should i let the starter go for a week until it uses up all the sugar?

1) Make a 1.75-2L starter
2) Pour 1/2-3/4 into Ball jelly jars
3) Throw jars in fridge - these are your future starter yeasts
---------
4) Step up the remaining starter
5) Cold crash
6) Decant
7) Pitch

All my yeast is also stored in vials. Just be sure to have a nice thick mat of cells. They are no longer viable when they turn the color of peanut butter. That process starts from the edges and works towards the center. The dead cells are also called yeast nutrient. So long as there is a healthy proportion of cells still white the sample is viable, although it may take a while to ferment. I had a sample that was on the stir plate for 3 days with no sign of activity. Gave up. Turned off the stir bar, went to the LHBS and purchased a replacement sample intending to reboil the starter wort and redo the starter. When I came home the flask was bubbling away merrilly

I would go with option 2, except I would just store them and decant when you're ready to use them. Not much a point in decanting and re-storing, unless space is a huge issue.

Last question. I have read that most people wont wash a yeast more than 2-3 times. Is that the case with this method as well or can i just keep building up one of my vials and splitting it again since it's more "pure"?

Back