Multi Chamber Reality Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasky7777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a multi chamber fermentation chamber half built and just wanted a reality check before I proceeded further. The idea is that my dorm sized freezer will be set with a temp controller to around 2*C and then I will use an STC in the other 3 chambers to pull and push air from/to this cold 2*C chamber and also small heaters when necessary. The heating I think will work, but will the cooling idea work. Was thinking the other chambers would be 15*C and 20*C and 23*C. I would cold crash/lager in the coldest chambers.
IMG_0849.jpg
IMG_0848.jpg

Given the relatively humongous surface area of the add-on chamber structure, the viability of this project will surely depend on tightness and the insulation used.
A second-order issue will be the volume of actively fermenting (and thus exothermic) beer...

Cheers!

I don’t think it’s going to work, I made a chamber that was about 3x the inside of the dorm fridge I used and it didn’t work.

If you are going to use a structure that big I would recommend using Metzen’s glycol chiller idea. I’m redoing mine and I’m borrowing his idea.

Edit: I just went to that thread and I see he has it circulating in a conical but I’m going to use a pond pump to circulate the cold water through a heater core and a fan blowing across it to cool the area.

Last edited:
I was hoping since it is a freezer with more cooling capacity then a fridge that I would get away with it. Might have to settle for two chambers and temps

I was hoping since it is a freezer with more cooling capacity then a fridge that I would get away with it. Might have to settle for two chambers and temps

It is possible but I don’t think the way you have it set up.
IMG_0001.JPG
this is what I’m going to use to cool my chamber.

I originally had a similar idea (slightly larger, but same idea), but then I thought instead put a bucket of water (/glycol, but water's cheap!) in the coldest chamber, then bump it around to radiators in the other chambers.

Not meaning to complicate your design, but just an idea... :)

NOTE: I haven't built this, yet. I'm still stewing on the variations.

Latest posts

Back