Mud syrup beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amin

Reaction score
i know few ppls before me ask this but seems my situation bit different
unlike other i waited about 2 weeks after fermentation is done.

it taste good but all i see is mud syrup u cant **** how muddy its my latest batch!

i wonder what went wrong this time :confused: last nite i added sparkolloid i usually use for wine see if it works on it or not:confused:

funny part is when i look at my sparkolloid mix even that was less look muddy than my beer:cross::(

i appreciate any input to fix or avoid this issue next time.

sorry guys for very late reply kinda had overwhelming workload lately

as matter recipe i used common Dry malt extract since not much other stuff exist here!
only thing i changed this time i ran out of nutrient i used little fresh grape juice i think that migth be the faulty part ... seems yeast didnt like mix of these 2 types very much and made mud syrup.

have to look for chemist or something to make some nutrient...
btw after this long time it still look very muddy as matter of taste its quiet mellow compare to regular beer i think thats part of grape juice effect ... gonna wait lil bit longer see if it clear or not.
oh almost forgot i used sparkloid didnt work so far ....
i guess thats it for now

thanks for replies guys :)

You mixed grape juice and malt??

You can't do that! It's like putting Germans and French together, or Democrats and Republicans!

But seriously, that's weird. I think that if you got the right amount of dry malt and juice and water you should be able to get it to ferment, but I don't know how clear it will end up.

And of course I assume you boiled the extract in some water and cooled it and then added the grape juice? You know, to sanitize the wort? Otherwise you might get an infection, which might make it cloudy.

lol @ dem @ repub quote hehe yeah probably using grape juice as nutrient weren't good idea,
and about sanitation yeah of course i do as much as i can well for beer its easy most things boil over anyway.

but here no starsan exist or even heard of make my job bit harder :cross:

as matter of taste as i said on last post it taste great just mellowed not like shandy but it mellowed maybe more preferable to ladies since they dont like bitter beers i w8 till next weekend i show you how it endup

I'd leave out the grape juice next time. Rehydrate dry yeast, pitch within 10 degrees of wort temp & keep the fermenter in a place where you can keep the temps down to 65-68F. A medium to high flocculation yeast helps too.

You should not need nutrient in beers. The malt has enough to go around. The muddiness, are you referring to the color of the wort (unfermented beer)? Muddiness is normal before you throw in the beer as there are proteins, etc in the wort that need to fall out. The clarity will come after fermentation and the yeast falling out of suspension. Especially if got got a good solid boil going to assist in the protein break.

How does it taste? As long as it tastes like a very sweet malty juice it sounds like things are going fine.

well here is the update...

1. god bless whoever invented Sparklloid it cleared up quiet nice :rockin:
2. well non carbonated one well taste hmm like beer but not quiet beer it have grape after taste not but for me since i love grapes in first place...

and bit stronger than usual ...
as matter of color as you can see its look golden honey like the color :D

thou just learned my lesson :cross: :D no more grape in beer as nutrient lol

DSC_0240.JPG

Back