mr beer recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sergio_69

Reaction score
saw this on another site, "Nightshade Ale, has anyone tried this recipe? My search didn't really yield any results. It is whispering wheat + st patricks stout + a cup of honey + willamette hops. Sounds quite interesting, but I was looking for more than the one review found on mb website."

I think it might be an interesting beer, but the cost to use mr. beer ingredients(its a kit on the official website) is quite high for such a small amount, does anyone know how to create this beer in an extract or all grain 5 gallon format?

Don't really know anything about Mr Beer kits but:

1. Sounds like you are mixing a Wheat extract kit with an irish stout extract kit
2. Both kits are prehopped with different types of hops
3. You are adding a third type of hops

Try mixing a bottle of fruity wheat beer and a bottle of guiness, and decide whether you want 2 gallons of it for $22+ shipping :)

Don't really know anything about Mr Beer kits but:

1. Sounds like you are mixing a Wheat extract kit with an irish stout extract kit
2. Both kits are prehopped with different types of hops
3. You are adding a third type of hops

Try mixing a bottle of fruity wheat beer and a bottle of guiness, and decide whether you want 2 gallons of it for $22+ shipping :)

That is the reason I want to see if anyone could change this to "normal" ingredients and do away with the expense of a mr beer kit.
Since I do not know how to formulate a recipe, I was hoping someone might find this interesting and come up with a good alternative recipe.

For a 2.5 gallon batch?

I'll just make something up off the top of my head if you really want to give it a shot.

3lbs Dark LME
2lbs American Wheat DME

Boil for 60 minutes

.75oz Willamette at 60min
.5oz Willamette at 15min
.25oz Willamette at 0min

Ferment with a pack of Nottingham dry yeast.

And if you want to get really crazy, you could steep .25lbs chocolate malt and .25lbs crystal 60 for 30 minutes at 155 for some added flavor/color.

For a 2.5 gallon batch?

I'll just make something up off the top of my head if you really want to give it a shot.

3lbs Dark LME
2lbs American Wheat DME

Boil for 60 minutes

.75oz Willamette at 60min
.5oz Willamette at 15min
.25oz Willamette at 0min

Ferment with a pack of Nottingham dry yeast.

And if you want to get really crazy, you could steep .25lbs chocolate malt and .25lbs crystal 60 for 30 minutes at 155 for some added flavor/color.

thanks, I may just give this a try.

Back