I made a tool to help simplify buying ingredients for home brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pacheco

Avid Beer Drinker
Reaction score
I posted this on Reddit a couple days ago but wanted to share here as well.

Last year was my first year home brewing and I calculated that I spent far too much money than I should have. Most of my spending was on equipment but I wasn’t exactly efficiently purchasing ingredients either. This year I vowed to get the most for my money.

I decided that in order to maximize ingredient costs, I would plan out the next 5-10 recipes and the buy all the ingredients at once. This lets me buy in bulk, save on shipping costs (I buy online) and take advantage of deals.

This was great in theory until I started trying to actually summarize my recipes. It was fine doing it manually for 1 or 2, but for 10 it was a lot to manage. I first thought about making a spreadsheet but then figured I could write it in code faster. Weeks later, I was able to create a functioning website.

The end result is Brew Shopper.

Anyone can create an account and upload their recipes. I was able to connect to Brew Father and Brewer’s friend directly, so if you have their paid features you can sync recipes by adding an API key. If not, you can upload in standard BEER.XML format, supported by most recipe tools out there.
I’m still actively working on the site so I would love to get the thoughts and feedback of the community!

Back