Moved to a new system and everything stopped working. Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbass

Reaction score
Howdy all fellow eBrewers. I've brewed 30 or so batches on a previous system that was purposefully under-engineered. Now that I have a feel for what I'm looking for and others in my group are looking to move electric I built a new modified Kal clone. Unfortunately, while I thought I was experienced enough, I've run into a problem that I haven't been able to solve yet.

Quick and dirty details:
1. I've changed from a ebay SET620 PID to an Auber SYL-2352
2. The element has stayed exactly the same, Camco 02933 220v 5500w ULWD
3. I've moved from a standard stainless rims mounted horizontally with the thermocouple ~ 5" above the outlet to a tri-clamp rims mounted vertically with the thermocouple mounted 3" above the outlet.
4. I use a two vessel system. No HLT.

On my previous system I was able to, after an hour of training the PID, maintain a slow 170f sparge using ~53f tap water. On this system, I've now spent 4 hours training the PID, copied all of the PID variables from the SET620 into the new Auber PID, and I still can't get the PID to stabilize a slow constant flow of water to anywhere close to 170. It'll creep up past 172, panic, and then crash back down to 130.

I'm curious if anyone thinks that the orientation somehow of the RIMS might be affecting my inability to sparge, or if its solely a manner of finding the right variables for the PID.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Try autotuning the Auber 2352. I doubt that PIDS from different manufacturers would work the same with the same input parameters. Autotuning the 2352 should take less than 30 minutes. Keep your flow rate as close to what you'd have on a typical brew day.

I think you'll be surprised. Keep us informed whatever you do.

Sorry, when I said I spent four hours "training" the PID, I did mean autotuning. Probably been through 15 or so autotuning cycles at the approximate flow rate that I used to sparge at, and it still wont stabilize.

Back