Motorized Barley Crusher Coupler Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twang

Reaction score
I have the stand and barley crusher, and the motor picked out. But, I am unsure what coupler to use. I am a little overwhelmed by the amount of different types of couplers...The mill shaft is 1/2" and barley crusher is 3/8".

The Mill
Shaft 1/2" dia. x 1-3/16" w/keyway and flat

A link or part # would be a big help.

Thanks. I appreciate the response. Read some good information there. However, I am looking at doing a direct drive setup and did not see any coupler information.

Thanks. I appreciate the response. Read some good information there. However, I am looking at doing a direct drive setup and did not see any coupler information.

I have no doubt you could do this cheaper than I did, but here are the part numbers I used from Surplus Center (surpluscenter.com). Looking at the motor torque numbers and the potential for the mill to stall, I went for the Total Overkill option and probably paid twice what I needed to. C'est la vie...

1 1-1995 3/8" KTR 19 COUPLING HALF
1 1-1998 1/2" KTR 19 COUPLING HALF
1 1-2011 INSERT FOR KTR 19 SERIES 3-PIECE COUPLING

Anyway...if you look on their site you'll find lower torque handling sets. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a less expensive option...

Cheers!

Thanks. Looks like there are only 3 different 3/8" coupling halfs and the one you mentioned is the cheapest one that meets the motor torque.

Thanks. Looks like there are only 3 different 3/8" coupling halfs and the one you mentioned is the cheapest one that meets the motor torque.

Yeah, that's how I saw it. As a design engineer my whole professional life has been to look at "worst case" and go from there, no room for optimism ;)

Cheers!

Back