Motorcycle Fanatics, show your ride(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GilaMinumBeer said:
I want a Triple Black BMW R 1200 GS Adventure with panier cases.

9.7 gallon total fuel capacity and 51mpg highway. Gah. Nearly 500 miles between fill-ups.

That's only a few gallons shy of what my CAR holds, helluva big tank!

20G!?! I knew there was a reason I quit looking at BMW the first time. I'm sure it's nice, but damn, for 20G it needs 2 more wheels, a roof, doors and a lot more cargo space.

20G!?! I knew there was a reason I quit looking at BMW the first time. I'm sure it's nice, but damn, for 20G it needs 2 more wheels, a roof, doors and a lot more cargo space.

Wha? $20G is a stripped down harley. :D

Stripped down price is $17.4G. Still get some of the bells, none of the whistles.

20k isn't bad for a BMW, they build a solid bike. A basic Harley street glide or road glide starts at just over 20k, a loaded out CVO starts at a little over 30k

20k isn't bad for a BMW, they build a solid bike. A basic Harley street glide or road glide starts at just over 20k, a loaded out CVO starts at a little over 30k

Especially considering that what you get for that $20G is a street legal dual sport touring machine that laughs at the gas stations.

Check out ADVRider. You wont have to look far.

The Beemer is nice but I'm in lust for the Yammy Tenere or the new Triumph Tiger.

I'd love to see someone take that pig off road...

Ask and you shall receive...

You buy me one and I'll make a video. :rockin:

"In 2004 Ewan and Charley embarked on an epic Long Way Round challenge, to bike 20,000-miles, cross 12 countries and 19 time zones in just 115 days. Riding their BMW GS R1200s, they crossed Europe, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan and Mongolia to ride the Road of Bones through Siberia, over to Alaska, through Canada, North America and finished in New York. "

They rode over some CRAZY terrain, dumped the bikes NUMEROUS times, broke frames, and even flooded them a time or two and the fvcking things kept going. In the second tour Long Way Down, Ewan took a 40mph rear end hit, kept control of the bike, and it barely scuffed the hard cases but wrecked the car pretty bad.

Seeing this bike in action over these two series is what sold me on the model. Now, I just need to convince the wife to let me take a cross the states tour with Ewan or Charley so BMW will donate a bike to me. :D

my low tech air cooled vtwin gets over 50mpg.

Yeah. As does mine if I take it easy.

But it doesn't have a stock 10 gallon fuel capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of new HDs for under 20 even with some extras.

I just look at what's most often on the side of the road and it's air cooled HDs. Sure, there are a lot of them here, so it stands to statistics that there will be more broke down, but damn, whenever there's a traffic jam, if there's a bike on the side, shut off, it's an HD.

They really need to get with liquid cooling (aside from the V-rod) and shaft drive.

My HD is 9 years old with 58k miles on it, it has never once left me on the side of the road, as with anything it comes down to maintenance. The good thing about HD is the parts are always available and cheap. With a basic set of hand tools and a $50 service manual (the actual service manual that Harley techs use) you can do almost everything with exception to splitting the case. Another benefit is resale value. I bought my bike 4 years old for 14k with a full 2 year warranty, I could sell it easily for over 10k right now

Sometimes riders are just resting on the side of the road ya know ;). And air cooled isn't making anything break down...

Whatever you buy I'd recommend that you rent one for a day 1st. This assuming you have some fairly good experience riding and then do 150-200 miles. Some seating configurations just don't match what you want. You don't want to be like my friend:

A "big boned" buddy of mine buy a Sportster 1200 custom last year after a 20+ year hiatus. It was ok, but he couldn't keep up with me and another buddy. Too much work for longer rides so he started tweaking it (spending $).

Earlier this year he was convinced he was going to upgrade to a BMW R 1200 RT after all the rave reviews, larger profile and cool gadgets lacking in the sportster. He test rode it for about 75 miles and although loved it, the seating configuration he knew wasn't going to work for him for longer trips. You can't really adjust how you sit on it, feet etc.

So he opted to trade in his sporty for a Street Glide. He likes it much more but he's getting head buffeting at higher speeds. So he's a tweaking again (spending $).

Me I like my Heritage Classic just fine :). Which I bought through Craigslist 03/2011 with 1500 miles on it and a 7 year unlimited warranty for $15.7k, But I've ridden them before and knew it worked well for me.

May as well share a dressed pic since the avatar is in stripped down mode. This was loaded up for a 1000 mi road trip last mo.

2012-05-07_09-40-26_543.jpg

Also, I live and ride in Florida and I have never over heated. Even in 90 plus degree weather in bumper to bumper traffic at bike week. The only bike that has ever overheated on me was my liquid cooled Honda CBR600 when the temp switch failed.

Lots of new HDs for under 20 even with some extras.

I just look at what's most often on the side of the road and it's air cooled HDs. Sure, there are a lot of them here, so it stands to statistics that there will be more broke down, but damn, whenever there's a traffic jam, if there's a bike on the side, shut off, it's an HD.

They really need to get with liquid cooling (aside from the V-rod) and shaft drive.

Also, I live and ride in Florida and I have never over heated. Even in 90 plus degree weather in bumper to bumper traffic at bike week. The only bike that has ever overheated on me was my liquid cooled Honda CBR600 when the temp switch failed.

Yeah. I am betting it has more to do with getting tired of working the clutch every 2 feet than it does with risk of overheating the bike.

Yeah. I am betting it has more to do with getting tired of working the clutch every 2 feet than it does with risk of overheating the bike.

It isn't any fun sitting on a furnace in 80+ degree weather stuck in traffic though that is for sure! :D

Sadly, my Honda Shadow is in the shop for a pre-sale tuneup. My left arm has developed a tendency to go numb without warning. $1600 of PT didn't help.

Poo!

DesertBrew said:
It isn't any fun sitting on a furnace in 80+ degree weather stuck in traffic though that is for sure! :D

Tell me about. I ride everyday to and from work about 45 miles roundtrip and the summers here in Vegas are a bit warm. Even once your moving it feels like riding through an oven when it's 109 out.

Does HD have shifting or low idle issues? Living in the land of perpetual road construction, I sit in a lot of traffic. It does mean working the clutch a lot, but with some experience, I can have learned to minimize it.

And I'm not anti HD, before it comes off that way. They make some beautiful touring bikes, have been around over 100 years and the 883 is the epitome of being just a motorcycle, all motorcycle and nothing else.

I plan to oil cool mine and add a large fan under the tank just for traffic jams. I only bought air cooled to shut my buddies up, I really am not a big fan of it. This is for me as much as it is the bike...

_

Tell me about. I ride everyday to and from work about 45 miles roundtrip and the summers here in Vegas are a bit warm. Even once your moving it feels like riding through an oven when it's 109 out.

as a 12 yr resident in Tucson, I get you. Still better than humid heat.

Does HD have shifting or low idle issues? Living in the land of perpetual road construction, I sit in a lot of traffic. It does mean working the clutch a lot, but with some experience, I can have learned to minimize it.

And I'm not anti HD, before it comes off that way. They make some beautiful touring bikes, have been around over 100 years and the 883 is the epitome of being just a motorcycle, all motorcycle and nothing else.

Clutching in traffic is a universal PITA. The key thing is air cooled means air. Stuck in traffic forever on a really hot day is more uncomfortable to you where you look for a way to get riding again faster than it being not good for your bike. Then again, my BMW 325 did not enjoy 118 in Phoenix at 70 mph and started acting up. Don't oversubscribe to the hype of air cooled breakdowns when you are riding as that is false. Idle isn't good for any motor just worse for air cooled. Plus, you live in Baltimore and I was in AZ so... :)

Quite frankly I don't care what anyone rides, you ride, you're alright by me. :rockin: I ride with riders of just about everything imaginable. Big groups 50+

Just downloaded these from my facebook while on mobile. Not sure if they show up good or not.

32084_104016942978341_7618367_n.jpg

217604_189388997774468_3421903_n.jpg

DesertBrew said:
Looks good as does the bike, but the passenger has that oh **** look in her eye! :D

LOL.

It was a random photographer on a local road I found on a local forum. Happened by chance but I tend to go a bit quick through that road.

I get that even with my water cooled Honda. Even it needs air moving through the coils to be most effective.

As big a fan as I am of the Beemer. My second choice would be a Ural. I have looked at getting a sidecar for my Honda but, it "looks" too much like an addition (you can tell where the brick has changed).

My youngin's would LOVE riding in a sidecar.

I considered a Ural too, but was scared off by top speed and reliability. I read a ton of reviews, really went back and forth. What really convinced me is that the nearest dealer is 180+ miles away, which is a long long ride home at 45mph!

I commute 50ish mules per day (mostly interstate), so that's a tad slow. It would have lived its whole life at redline lol

If I had the room, money, etc. I'd consider one for a second bike

I commute 50ish mules per day (mostly interstate), so that's a tad slow. It would have lived its whole life at redline lol

If I had the room, money, etc. I'd consider one for a second bike

With that many mules on the interstate, you'd think the Ural would save you some time. Or at least keep you ahead of the herd.

I guess that is one of the benefits of the great NorthWet. We've had approx 50 minutes of over 80 degree weather so far this year. I would like a few more sunny days but not frying in my stitch makes me happy. :D

static said:
I guess that is one of the benefits of the great NorthWet. We've had approx 50 minutes of over 80 degree weather so far this year. I would like a few more sunny days but not frying in my stitch makes me happy. :D

Yeah, but come on already! It is after July 4th summer can start anytime now. Remember though, when you ride in the Pacific Northwet, your rain gear is ALWAYS on board.. LOL

Latest posts

Back