Morebeer.com Is anyone familiar with this site?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
A good friend of mine that I have converted from a BMC guy to craft beer gave me $100 gift certificate to buy more beer ingredients becuse he felt bad for drinking my beer.

Anyway, I have never purchased anything from this site and I am looking for any advice on which kits are good or which one to stay away from.

I was looking at the Columbus IPA and the American IPA with Magnum hops.

:ban:

I've ordered the Pliny the Elder kit from Morebeer and it is outstanding.

My only complaint with Morebeer (and it's not their fault) is that it takes longer to receive my orders because they are on the opposite side of the country.

Also, their grain crushes have been a bit "under crushed" for my taste. I took the morebeer grain to my LHBS for a re-crush and all was well in the world again.

I did the I2PA kit a few years ago and it was very good. Don't buy kits anymore so thats all I have. I do use them for other things when the LHBS doesn't have them, like Simcoe hops recently or the used 3 gallon corny keg special that had a few years ago. The free shipping deal is nice.

Morebeer has been around quite a while and is a reputable outfit. I've ordered from them several times and have always been satisfied.

My only complaint with Morebeer (and it's not their fault) is that it takes longer to receive my orders because they are on the opposite side of the country.

Also, their grain crushes have been a bit "under crushed" for my taste. I took the morebeer grain to my LHBS for a re-crush and all was well in the world again.

I'm on the East Coast as well. How long does it normally take for you to get your ingredients? I was planning on a double brew day on the 18th and want to make sure I have ingredients to brew. If not, I will have to go to the LHBS.

Yeah, I don't really do kits much anymore either but thought if they had something that was outstanding I might consider it.

I have several of my own recipes I was planning on brewing over the next few weeks so maybe I will just order ingredients.

I'm on the East Coast as well. How long does it normally take for you to get your ingredients? I was planning on a double brew day on the 18th and want to make sure I have ingredients to brew. If not, I will have to go to the LHBS.

Yeah, I don't really do kits much anymore either but thought if they had something that was outstanding I might consider it.

I have several of my own recipes I was planning on brewing over the next few weeks so maybe I will just order ingredients.

If you use their free shipping, it takes about 8 business days to reach NY.

I don't make kits anymore, but I have made their APA II and Porter. The Pale Ale was ok but the Porter was nothing to write home about... I'm under the impression, judging by my experiences and others, that their standard kits are about average: not great, but not bad (still better than a BB kit.) The Brewmaster and Signature series tend to be a little better but have a price to match.
That said, they are a reputable company that I have ordered equipment and ingredients from on several occassions. Their equipment prices are very good, especially when you factor in the free shipping. Their ingredient prices are also very good, but selection is limited.

Bought the Pliny kit from them last week. Showed up on my door the next day. Haven't had a chance to brew it yet, but initial service was awesome.

If I order again, just plan on sticking with the Brewmaster series, didn't see a lot of others that I thought would knock my socks off.

I love them and order from them all the time.

On the east coast, if you need stuff by the 18th, I would recommend not using the free shipping (that usually adds a few days).

Never used their kits, but I imagine they are good. They have several current and former employees that are fantastic brewers and they have a lot of kits that were developed by "celebrity" homebrewers or commercial brewers.

I ordered a final gravity hydrometer from them over the weekend and it showed up yesterday. Very fast shipping.

The hydrometer looks very fragile (not a knock on Moorbeer), I'm going to have to be very careful (and sober) when I use it.

A good friend of mine that I have converted from a BMC guy to craft beer gave me $100 gift certificate to buy more beer ingredients becuse he felt bad for drinking my beer.

Anyway, I have never purchased anything from this site and I am looking for any advice on which kits are good or which one to stay away from.

I was looking at the Columbus IPA and the American IPA with Magnum hops.

:ban:

I just kicked a keg of their Columbus IPA. I was very impressed with the beer, really tasty! All my buddies enjoyed it as well. I bought an extra 2oz of cascade to do a dry hop with and it turned out great. I like morebeer in general and I order from them all the time. Great customer service both ordering online and in their Riverside showroom!

It might be cutting it close if you use their free shipping option. If you order from morebeer and need it by the 18th you may want to consider using one of the faster shipping options.

Or perhaps give them a call and see if they can expedite the order for you somehow. The customer service I received from them was excellent.

i used them almost exclusively for 4+ years...

i just stopped because i went to all grain and my LHBS has better prices on that....

but i loved their product and customer service

Their kits are overall fairly decent, some standouts are Fire in the Hole, Speakeasy 3rd anniversary ale, Blind Pig and Pliny and their Scotch ale. Keep in mind that their kits are priced the same as if you were to enter their showroom and buy each ingredient separately. Their yeast recommendations were screwed up a while back on some of the kits, use common sense there.

I don't buy from their site, but MoreBeer is my LHBS. Their prices (in the store anyway) are high compared to Midwest or NorthernBrewer, but their stuff is good, and the staff are helpful.

I don't buy from their site, but MoreBeer is my LHBS. Their prices (in the store anyway) are high compared to Midwest or NorthernBrewer, but their stuff is good, and the staff are helpful.

Which ingredient prices are higher?

They are a very good company. I've had the Pliny kit and the Double Barrel Ale kit and they were both outstanding.

Although, I got the free shipping and they were the slowest to ship of any beer store I have ordered from. It was over 2 weeks.

I cut my homebrewing teeth with more beer kits...
They are still my 'go-to' company for on line orders...
I've bought 'most' of my equipment from them...

Their American IPA, Columbus IPA, American pale ale, american pale ale II are all very good kits...

Also, I tried vinnies blind pig (extract) once.. and provided you give it plenty of time to condition.. It is kick ass...

They are a very good company.... One of the 'pillars' of the homebrewing world...

Wow, that took some nads. How did you start that conversation off?

I use morebeer a lot (and Austin homebrew and northern and rebel a lot). Their free shipping to NY does take a decent amount of time. If I am in a rush to get something, I use rebel brewer. They have good prices and their cheapest shipping option has the stuff to me in 2 days

Wow, that took some nads. How did you start that conversation off?

I was skeptical about asking but they were fine with it. I offered to pay for the re-crush but they wouldn't charge me for it. I ended up buying several other items from the LHBS that day so it all worked out.

I've been using MoreBeer since returning to brewing. I've made their Irish Red Ale (not the Flanders), Porter, Nut Brown, Milk Stout, Light Ale and CDA/Black IPA. The IRA and porter were amazing, the nut brown was okay (I lost my taste for it), the Light Ale tasted pretty good just before bottling it tonight, the milk stout and CDA/BIPA smell incredible (needs another week in the fermenter).

My next order is going to be 2 IRA kits so I can make a double batch. That stuff didn't last long here. I'll definitely be ordering the porter again as well.

Back