Monster Mill 2 Won’t Keep Crush Setting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Has anyone else had this problem as well? The set screws are tight but it still opens up as you mill grains.

What about the nuts on the set screws? Are the nuts tight against the body of the mill too?

Now, I do know others have stated their mill binds if the set screws are too tight. Can't win...

There are no nuts on the set screws. They just screw into the body.

Has anyone else had this problem as well? The set screws are tight but it still opens up as you mill grains.

Just dealt with this last Friday. Screwed up previous mashes when I failed to detect the loosened settings in time. My fix was to carefully tighten the set screws with pliers. Maybe 1 to 1.5 full turns did the trick.

Just dealt with this last Friday. Screwed up previous mashes when I failed to detect the loosened settings in time. My fix was to carefully tighten the set screws with pliers. Maybe 1 to 1.5 full turns did the trick.

I’ll give that a try.

The 'so called' set screws they send with those are low grade butter bolts. Get a proper set of hardened hex socket set screws 5/8" or 3/4" long. Use a tiny dab of mineral oil on the threads. Problem solved.
https://www.mcmaster.com/set-screws/cup-point-set-screws/alloy-steel-cup-point-set-screws-10/
index.jpg

The 'so called' set screws they send with those are low grade butter bolts. Get a proper set of hardened hex socket set screws 5/8" or 3/4" long. Use a tiny dab of mineral oil on the threads. Problem solved.
https://www.mcmaster.com/set-screws/cup-point-set-screws/alloy-steel-cup-point-set-screws-10/View attachment 694193

Might Ballistol oil work for this application? I think I’ve read it’s similar. I know it easily emulsifies and I have plenty of it.

https://ballistol.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQ...kdgD_WKVzGTGE0ToCDUaWn_RSagVDu9IaAjhaEALw_wcB

It sounds to me that the female threads were not properly formed in the first place and the only real fix is going to be to drill out the threads and go with the next larger size set screw. Do a search on "helicoil" and do the fix right, will save you a great deal of frustration in the long term. These are steel inserts that will be far better than the aluminum threads currently in place. No fear, I re-thread stuff all the time and with 100 percent success. Sounds more complicated than it is.

There is also an epoxy thread repair method suitable for light duty, probably worth looking into, lower cost, but not as robust.

Last edited:
If the OP's "set screws are tight" it doesn't seem likely there are stripped threads involved.
Given the thumbscrews, I'm betting hand-tightening was involved, which might not be sufficient...

Cheers!

You can crank down on the set screws all you want and they will feel tight, but if there isn't the specified contact between the set screw threads and the female threads to provide sufficient friction to prevent backout, the screws are going to come loose. I guess this could happen if one cranked down too hard on the set screw and deformed the soft aluminum female threads. Or they were not properly formed to begin with, perhaps a slightly too large pitch diameter. But easily fixed, if a new unit, then a manufacturing defect and Monster Mill would be happy to fix it, I'm sure. Again, minor problem related to soft aluminum being used for the housing, easily fixed.

The problem is that the non hardened set screws are not biting into the shaft and holding it tight because the face of the screw is soft. If you remove one you will see that the end is not the correct shape a set screw needs to be in order to do it's job.

THis is critical. On my MM3 I couldn't get the gap to stay aligned no matter how hard I cranked down the screws. Until I read this. Actually about the third time I read it. Since figuring out the right way to align the rollers I've only tightened a touch past finger tight, once, and haven't had any movement in the gap in at least 800# of grain milled. I've got marks on my mill for a .030 gap and check the marks before every brew day grinding and there is never any need to readjust. Before I got this right I couldn't get through half a batch's grist before having to reset.

Latest posts

Back