Monday Morning Quarterbacking my Christmas beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch S

Reaction score
I'm throwing this into the Beginners Forum since I think that a lot of the feedback will be helpful to many just starting out. This year, I made 2 small batches (1 gallon) for my in-laws Christmas Eve party/get-together/listen to screaming kids event. Just something to get a few of us through the whole thing. Anyways, the 2 batches I made were extract kits from NB. They were the Festivus Miracle Holiday Ale and Brickwarmer Holiday Red Ale. Here's what I experienced with both:

Festivus: I brewed this one first. The only issue I encountered (I think) was when adding mulling spices at flame out. Not sure if that's the best way to do it. Another mistake I made was... transferring to secondary. Now I know that if anything, a whirlpool would have been better and let in less O2, and I'd have had more bottles. Taste was... off? I thought it was too spicy or had a medicinal taste to it. I believe it was the secondary or the spices that caused it. I have a few left so I plan to do more taste testing Friday, just to see if the taste is off.

Brickwarmer: Second brew, but did it AFTER I came here and learned more about secondary and how it's an old technique. I did an overnight cold steep with grains on this one. I could tell it would have a coffee taste to it right away. Did not whirlpool or secondary. Still came out with low sediment due to taking care during the transfer to bottle bucket and a new autosiphon. Taste was good for an extract and was a hit with those that tried it. The debate was whether it was closer to a stout or porter than a red ale. The only request was for a way to be able to drink from the bottle without sediment. My thought was Keezer with a bottle wand while my uncle said through a coffee filter.

Any suggestions or questions are welcome!

Bottle carbonated beers have sediment; that's completely normal for those of us that bottle.

Pour it into a glass if the yeast bothers you. :)

I did a spiced hard cider . I used mulling spices right when the fermentation was finishing up . Man I could have used less . Mulling spices go a long way . Lesson learned

Bottle carbonated beers have sediment; that's completely normal for those of us that bottle.

Pour it into a glass if the yeast bothers you. :)
It wasn't that it bothered me since this is my 6th or 7th batch overall, it bothered them since I was taking time to pour carefully into the glass. I was thinking ways of making it easier on them. From what I've read hear, bottling will always have a small amount regardless of the methods you use.

I did a spiced hard cider . I used mulling spices right when the fermentation was finishing up . Man I could have used less . Mulling spices go a long way . Lesson learned
Since it was a NB extract kit, the spices came "pre-measured". Instructions stated to dump in and then flame out. I say "pre-measured" as there could have been less of one item and more of another. I think the mix NB uses is orange peel, coriander, clove, star anise, and maybe a little bit of cinnamon. It is a spiced ale and I had the Brickwarmer before; maybe my taste buds were off?

It wasn't that it bothered me since this is my 6th or 7th batch overall, it bothered them since I was taking time to pour carefully into the glass. I was thinking ways of making it easier on them. From what I've read hear, bottling will always have a small amount regardless of the methods you use.
LOL, if pouring your handcrafted homebrew into a glass takes too long for them, just give 'em a case of Natty Light. Everybody wins.

Latest update on the spiced ale:

Tried it again. This time I didn't get the weird medicinal taste. I'm thinking it just didn't pair well with the food I was eating.

Back