Mold in my keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBN

Reaction score
I've had my keezer set to 48 deg for about 3 months while I work overseas. Well my wife open it up today and there was mold all around the keg I had left in there. Any help on how to stop this from happening would be great.

View attachment 1477670000655.jpg

not leave it alone for 3 months :)

Gotta clean it and wipe down I would imagine every so often.

also a few EVA drys would be good + air circulation of some sort inside.

Ok kind of what I thought. I have to leave it though. My arms don't reach from where I work and I'm out of the county at least 3 to 4 months at a time..I'll add a fan and some of those silica dry ASAP when I get back in Nov. On a good note the beer is still good in the keg.

Ok kind of what I thought. I have to leave it though. My arms don't reach from where I work and I'm out of the county at least 3 to 4 months at a time..I'll add a fan and some of those silica dry ASAP when I get back in Nov. On a good note the beer is still good in the keg.

As long as your wife has functioning arms she can do basic stuff like wiping it down or at least peeking inside as well.

I just had this happen recently, too. Managed to run out of beer, so I turned the keezer up to 70F or so for about 3 weeks (with empties stored in the keezer), and when I went to keg a couple of batches, had similar mold/mildew on kegs and in keezer. I did some cleaning of the keezer with bleach and cleaned the outside of the kegs. Been meaning to get a fan installed for temp consistency and so that my Eva-Dry will be more effective, and this motivated me to think I should get on that.

(Shorter version, I agree; probably some airflow and Eva Dry would help.)

+1 to airflow and Eva Dry! I had seen mold in mine until I added these things. Been great ever since.

I use a chest freezer with a temp controller for a fermentation chamber and have had a pale ale sitting in there at 65° for about 3 weeks. I just opened it and there is mold present, should I be worried that the beer is contaminated? It is a 6 gallon better bottle with a blowoff tube going into a pitcher of starsan

itll be fine as long as you still had starsan in that blowoff container.

Latest posts

Back