Mold in my fermenting chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialGreg

Reaction score
So i have a 7cu' chest freezer with a johnson temp controller but when i keep it plugged in for extended periods of time when im on a good brewing kick and the moisture that builds up and runs down the wall always seems to build up some mold in my chest freezer. Any help on keeping it fresh and a little more dry?

How many of those packs would you suggest for a 15 cubic foot chest freezer? I'm having similar issues. Thanks!

I use this too and it works great. Always smelled "musty" in there until I started using it and there is never moisture now.

I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029EGUNG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Supposed to last 3-4 months at least. When the chamber is not in use I leave the lid open of the freezer and close up the damp-rid to save it for next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or just buy a lifetime supply of kitty litter (silica gel type) for like $8 and pour it into tube socks that you can toss in the oven every couple years to rid of moisture.

I use this thing. Much better than damp-rid because you can re-use it. Onyl has to plug into the wall to recharge. I ferment 1-2 batches every week in my fermentor and only have to recharge every 2 weeks or so

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-E-500-Renewable-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFD2/ref=sr_1_16?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1441986662&sr=1-16&keywords=dehumidifier

just one of these would work in your case, dont bother with switching out damp rid or kitty litter

I bought one of these for my keezer. It seems to help. I think I need a 2nd one, though. I'll probably buy a couple more for my fermentation chamber.

I use this thing. Much better than damp-rid because you can re-use it. Onyl has to plug into the wall to recharge. I ferment 1-2 batches every week in my fermentor and only have to recharge every 2 weeks or so

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-E-500-Renewable-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFD2/ref=sr_1_16?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1441986662&sr=1-16&keywords=dehumidifier

just one of these would work in your case, dont bother with switching out damp rid or kitty litter
The beauty of kitty litter isn't just the cost, but also that a tube sock contains probably 5x - 10x what an Eva-Dry contains, so you rarely have to switch it out. And they may even contain the same stuff. So a few socks filled with kitty litter is extremely effective and will last a very long time.

I found my Eva Dry unit utterly useless, especially once I started using kitty litter.

My chamber is wood. On the floor of it there is mold. I tried to clean it. It is black. How serious should I be about rebuilding my chamber out of new wood or something that won't allow mold to harbor?

Get a spray bottle of a Clorox cleaner and spray down the walls every now and then. But the kitty litter is a good idea. I like CHEAP.

Back