Mold in Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troglodytes

Reaction score
So I just found out last night that there was a leak in my keezer that's been going on for quite a while and the sprayed beer got on the top of two kegs, all my lines and the inside of the keezer itself. Couple that with the condensation in the keezer and we're talking a decent amount of liquid sitting in the bottom.

I just went into deep clean mode to eradicate all of it. I wiped down everything in the keezer, the CO2 canister, all gas and beer lines (on the outside) and the outside of the kegs themselves with a bleach solution (this includes the poppits, lid and gaskets).

Then I opened up the kegs and didn't see any mold or mildew inside at all so I washed with PBW and rinses with warm water. I ran the PBW water through the beer lines and then I filled the keg with star san and ran that through the beer lines as well.

Now I go online and I'm seeing tons of comments about not using bleach with stainless steel. Is a one time deep cleaning like I did ok? Also, is my cleaning regimen appropriate to get rid of the problem? I've since go a recommended passive dehumidifier to hang in there to solve the condensation issue. I'm just scared the mold will come back.

I don't think 1 time will hurt much so long as you rinsed very well but I wouldn't make a habit out of using bleach. I like oxyclean and a good scrubby personally.

Honestly, I give everything a good scrubbing maybe twice a year (more if I'm messy changing kegs) and rarely do I have mold issues. I have on occasion gotten a bit of mold on the bottom of the keezer, but it didn't hurt anything. Your kegs and lines should all be sealed and filled with positive pressure so any funk in the keezer, while nasty, isn't likely to get in your beer.

The only thing that didn't get a good rinse were the outside of the beer lines and the inside of the keezer walls. Here's hoping that I don't get any off flavors from the poppits and gaskets (those got rinsed really well after cleaning).

I should have trusted oxyclean, but when I saw how much mold their was i freaked and went straight for the big guns.

One more questions (as to not start a thread needlessly). the first keg I cleaned and sanitized is my sour keg as I'm filling it with a sour saison next. I was going to transfer that 5 gall ons of star san to my other non-sour keg as I'm doing an IPA next and wanted it stored filled so I can do a full oxygen purge and transfer for the IPA.

But now I'm thinking, is it safe to transfer the star san form a sour keg to a non-sour keg without contaminating the non-sour keg?

I have a small electric dehumidifier in mine...zero moisture issues since

Latest posts

Back