Mmmm, DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanos

Reaction score
So, I'm sure that among homebrewers this may be a well known fact, but DME makes a great food additive when you're trying to add sugar to a savory dish without pouring cane sugar in. Cane sugar seems to add a fake sweetness that I don't care for much. But, I was sauteing (sp?) some mushrooms and onions and decided to dash in some DME. The dash ended up being ~1/4 cup and it is DELICIOUS!!! :mug:

+ 1 chocolate chip cookies (Alton brown "the chewy" recipe and add to taste)

How the heck do you think a lot of the breweries managed to survive during prohibition, coming up with uses for malt extract.

Pabst Blue Ribbon was the most famous.

!CFJREcwCGk~$%28KGrHqUOKo4E0WBDB9G2BNUKOpD+JQ~~_3.JPG

White Bread.
3 quarts sifted flour
1 quart lukewarm water
2 cakes compressed yeast
½ tablespoon sugar
1 ½ tablespoons Blue Ribbon Malt Extract (hop flavored or plain)
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons lard or melted butter.
Dissolve yeast, sugar, and Blue Ribbon Malt Extract in lukewarm water. Add lard or butter and half the flour, beat until smooth. Add salt and balance of the flour, or enough to make dough that can be handled, knead well. Place in greased bowl, cover and set aside in a moderately warm place until light, about one and a half hours. Mould into loaves. Place in well-greased bread pans, filling them half full. Cover and let rise until double in bulk. Bake forty-five minutes to one hour at 400o F. If a richer loaf is desired, use milk in place of all or part of the water.

Soft Gingerbread

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspooon cloves
1 tsp each ginger and cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Blue Ribbon Malt Extract (malt flavored or plain)
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup boiling water
2 tsps soda
2 beaten eggs

Sift the dry ingredients together. Mix the molasses, shortening, Blue Ribbon Malt Extract, and water thoroughly with the boiling water. Add the beaten eggs. Add to the other ingredients, mix well. Bake in moderate oven at 325 degrees F until done -- about 45 minutes.

the thought has crossed my mind of trying to make my own homemade potato chips. seasoning the chips with some dme while frying them up would be a good idea. :mug:

Back