Mixing Lager Yeasts (bohemain 2124 + urquel 2001)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bambooshoot

Reaction score
I'm making a starter today for a batch of dark lager (schwarzbier, also my first lager) that I will be brewing this weekend. I have a 2L flask with a stir plate. I was planning to use a Wyeast 2124 (bohemian lager) but I also have a pack of Wyeast 2001 (urquel) that I was planning on using for a different batch (a pilsner) next weekend.

Looking at Mr. Malty, I'm apparently supposed to be using 350 billion cells for this lager, which means that for a 2L starter I should be using 2 packs of yeast. In order to get away with 1 pack of yeast, I would need 4.2L of starter, which is out of the question for me. Is it weird/ok/acceptable to throw both my 2124 and my 2001 into one starter, to get me to the requisite cell count? I'm not sure how different these two yeasts are and I've certainly never heard of anyone using 2 yeasts for 1 lager.

Insights greatly appreciated!

By the way, for what it's worth, my 2124 has a date of 12/13. Beersmith tells me that a 2L starter with this one pack will give me 361 billion cells, which is in the ballpark. Maybe I just go with the one pack?

I'm nervous about underpitching given that I'll be pitching cold (45 degrees). I don't mind the COST of using both packs, i'm just wondering if it result in some weird interaction between the two yeasts.

The calc at Brewers Friend shows that your one pack of 2124 in a 2L stirplate starter of 1.036 wort will give you a sufficient (for a 5.2 gallon batch) 370 billion cells.

Are you using a stirplate? It makes all the difference and is an important piece of equipment if you brew lagers. A "shaken" 2L starter only yields 228 billion cells.

Make sure that you oxygenate your starter wort.

You are wise to pitch 2124 at 45*F.

Thanks BigFloyd, I'll check out Brewers Friend and compare vs Mr Malty.

Yes, I'll be using a stir plate. I just made one based on the DIY thread, looking forward to using it for the first time.

I don't have any real oxygenation equipment. I'll do my best to shake it up but my understanding is the stir plate should do a lot of that work for me once it gets going.

Back