Mistreated Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In a rush to get a couple kegs on my Memorial Day camping (RV) trip, I really hurried a Centennial Blond, kegging 7 days after brewing. The brew day itself was not great, as I did it before work while bottling some hard lemonade.

Don't know why, but I decided to strain the wort through a cheese straining bag that was dangling in the mouth of my Better Bottle. There was lots of spillage and hands all in the wort, trying to compact the hop junk enough to get the bag out. Dog was involved, and I think the cat also showed up.

Anyway, I kegged the beer and chill on CO2 for a day or so. The husband saw my kegs near the camper and helpfully loaded them in the bed of the truck on their sides. A couple hours later, I set up my new $19 trash can kegerator at the campsite, but realize two kegs won't fit without better planning and send one home with my son. Wrong keg. I'm left with the Belgian Coriander-Less Wit that I don't like. OK, ignore the beer and drink the crazy hard lemonade.

My son forgot to leave the beer in my kegorator. His fiancee likely drove around a couple of days in 90 degree weather with the keg of CB lying on its side in the back of her vehicle. But it was on my porch when I got home tonight, so I stuck it in the kegerator for chilling.

So, is this beer going to really suck? I'll probably drink it anyway.

wildwest450 said:
Yes, it will suck. But some braniac will tell you if you let it age for 3 months all the horrible off flavors will magically disappear...

_

Cant tell if this is sarcastic or an actual shot at you know who But no one says they will magically go away. Just that don't dump a beer at first taste let it go for a few months then try it again what will it hurt.... maybe you'll get lucky and you'll have drinkable beer...
Unless this is the only keg the OP has and needs for the next batch

Yup. It does suck. It may be slightly less sucky after I have a few glasses of the Wit, which, due to my frugal ways, must be consumed entirely, even if I don't like it.

I gotta make a habit of marking the kegs as soon as they're filled.

Back