Mini Kegs with Non threaded CO2 cartridges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for mini kegs (64 - 128 oz) to allow me carbonation and storage of my home brew beer.

I have a lot of problems to get threaded CO2 cartridges so I am looking for mini-kegs taking non threaded CO2 cartridges.

Any recommendation aside Ukeg because it does not allow me to replace the CO2 bullet without opening the mini-keg.

Thanks!!!

cheers,
Rookiebrewer

Welcome to HBT!
Actual kegs don't take CO2 cartridges, sounds like you really want a better regulator and separate small keg rather than another consumer dead-end. I can recommend these mini-kegs;
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/33487511533...FSGC0R&hash=item4df81cbf43:g:PUgAAOSw-p5kYuxv
...but recommend changing out the o-rings if you get one.
Tell us more so we can recommend an appropriate regulator. Does it need to be compact, or is a standard full-size regulator and CO2 tank a non-starter for you?
:bigmug:

Welcome to HBT!
Actual kegs don't take CO2 cartridges, sounds like you really want a better regulator and separate small keg rather than another consumer dead-end. I can recommend these mini-kegs;
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/33487511533...FSGC0R&hash=item4df81cbf43:g:PUgAAOSw-p5kYuxv
...but recommend changing out the o-rings if you get one.
Tell us more so we can recommend an appropriate regulator. Does it need to be compact, or is a standard full-size regulator and CO2 tank a non-starter for you?
:bigmug:
Hi, Crow

Thanks for the prompt response,

Maybe I should have explained a bit further.. I am looking for a mini-keg growler.

I have one like this:

https://tmcraftus.com/collections/mini-keg-growler/products/tmcraft-128oz-mini-keg-growler-black

TMCRAFT 128oz Mini Keg Growler Black​

However, it takes only threaded CO2 cartridges, and they are too hard to get for me here. I am looking for a similar one taking non threaded cartridges.

Cheers,
Rookiebrewer

Hi, Crow

Thanks for the prompt response,

Maybe I should have explained a bit further.. I am looking for a mini-keg growler.

I have one like this:

https://tmcraftus.com/collections/mini-keg-growler/products/tmcraft-128oz-mini-keg-growler-black

TMCRAFT 128oz Mini Keg Growler Black​

However, it takes only threaded CO2 cartridges, and they are too hard to get for me here. I am looking for a similar one taking non threaded cartridges.

Cheers,
Rookiebrewer
I have those Growler and I never have trouble getting the threaded CO2 from Amazon. You definitely want the food grade ones see link of the ones I buy all the time:

Food Grade CO2 https://a.co/d/cLeMWi8

I have those Growler and I never have trouble getting the threaded CO2 from Amazon. You definitely want the food grade ones see link of the ones I buy all the time:

Food Grade CO2 https://a.co/d/cLeMWi8
Thanks Bud

Where I live (outside US), threaded ones are quite hard to get. This is why I want to get a mini keg growler able to take non threaded ones.

cheers,

Be aware that some types of the non threaded cartridges have oil left in them from the manufacturing process.

As far as I can tell, most folk with the mini-keg/regulator combos have chosen them for mobility....Since you say you want them for carbonation and storage, wouldn't a standard CO2 regulator and tank be more appropriate to your needs?

I love my uKegs. By adding just a weensy bit of priming sugar, the CO2 will last an entire batch and then some.
Thank You dmtaylor, I just looked into the uKeg! Never heard of it but I will tell you that I will be getting one. I own several growler including the square. I love the design of the uKeg especially the CO2 tank in the cap! That is so awesome, saves space and makes it look a lot sleeker!

Re ukeg, I got the ball lock lid (official part from mfr) and can carbonate from a CO2 cylinder and then swap to the regulator cap. You could theoretically put an external mini regulator on it. e.g. https://www.morebeer.com/products/mini-co2-regulator-kit-ball-lock.html

edit: link for ball lock lid:
https://perfectwerks.com/products/ukeg-ball-lock-cap

(I also got Trong's beverage-out ball lock adapter!)

Re threadless cartriges, I buy Leland, because I don't trust rando amazon to actually be food grade. The 16g threadless Leland seem to fit fine in the 128oz ukeg holder without issue (when I insert the mating washer correctly....).

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your replies, I would give a try on the uKeg.

Yes, a CO2 cylinder would be great; but I do small batches (2 - 4 liters for carbonating).

Anyway. it has been very helpful.

cheers,

Thanks a lot for your replies, I would give a try on the uKeg.

Yes, a CO2 cylinder would be great; but I do small batches (2 - 4 liters for carbonating).

Anyway. it has been very helpful.

cheers,
I forgot you had issues finding threaded cartridges. Does that include the big ones? The mini regulator I linked to uses a threaded 74g threaded cartridge. I didn't find an external mini regulator for threadless carts in a short search.

I love my uKegs. By adding just a weensy bit of priming sugar, the CO2 will last an entire batch and then some.
What's the priming sugar for? I fill my uKeg with already carbed beer, and the CO2 cartridge is just for dispensing. I've only used it once, and I found that when I turned the pressure all the way up, it poured too much foam. I've been meaning to try it again, and turn down the pressure, but I haven't needed to transport 64oz of any of my beer lately. (I didn't even realize you could turn the pressure down, until I did a quick internet search. I thought it had to be turned all the way up.)

What's the priming sugar for? I fill my uKeg with already carbed beer, and the CO2 cartridge is just for dispensing.
Priming sugar is optional for those of us like myself who don't have pre-carbed beer via a standard kegging setup and/or who don't drink all the beer quickly within a couple of weeks. Priming sugar extends the life of the keg because the tiny CO2 cartridges don't hold pressure for a long time and (believe it or not) the uKegs leak slowly over time. I've had uKegs in my fridge for several months and by the end it does begin to go flat or won't dispense anymore. Guess I should drink faster.

I found that when I turned the pressure all the way up, it poured too much foam. (I didn't even realize you could turn the pressure down, until I did a quick internet search. I thought it had to be turned all the way up.)
Yeah, don't do that. I use the uKeg Go which has two settings, high and low. I usually only use the low setting because if/when I use the high setting it will pour too much foam and the CO2 will not last a whole keg.

Thanks, Mashdar... True, maybe my solution is to charge it up with a bigger cylinder and use the cartridges only when I take it outdoor or for a trip.
Great discussion, I learned from all comments and suggestions.

Priming sugar is optional for those of us like myself who don't have pre-carbed beer via a standard kegging setup and/or who don't drink all the beer quickly within a couple of weeks. Priming sugar extends the life of the keg because the tiny CO2 cartridges don't hold pressure for a long time and (believe it or not) the uKegs leak slowly over time. I've had uKegs in my fridge for several months and by the end it does begin to go flat or won't dispense anymore. Guess I should drink faster.

Yeah, don't do that. I use the uKeg Go which has two settings, high and low. I usually only use the low setting because if/when I use the high setting it will pour too much foam and the CO2 will not last a whole keg.
Do you mean you're dispensing over a few months from the ukeg and have not been topping up the pressure? It will of course go flat in this case without pressure being maintained. It doesn't mean it's leaking necessarily. Or did I misundersand?

Do you mean you're dispensing over a few months from the ukeg and have not been topping up the pressure? It will of course go flat in this case without pressure being maintained. It doesn't mean it's leaking necessarily. Or did I misundersand?
I mean the CO2 runs out after a few months regardless of whether it's turned up or turned off to zero. The keg MUST be leaking. Where else is there for all that gas to disappear to?! My bottled beers don't go flat for upwards of a decade, those caps seal really well. The uKeg Go is just screwed on hand tight. It probably leaks, just really slowly.

I see, I thought you were suggesting you didn't have any co2 source apart from priming sugar. My misunderstanding.

I mean the CO2 runs out after a few months regardless of whether it's turned up or turned off to zero. The keg MUST be leaking. Where else is there for all that gas to disappear to?! My bottled beers don't go flat for upwards of a decade, those caps seal really well. The uKeg Go is just screwed on hand tight. It probably leaks, just really slowly.
I had a slow CO2 leak at the top of the sight glass that required tightening. Otherwise I've had pretty good luck, but I've seen plenty of complaints.

Didn't someone on here post a success with refilling cartridges with some paintball gear? I ask because while I've never had my hands on any mini-CO2 gear, I would like to get such a rig for transporting a minikeg to family events but given the huge cost of CO2 in cartidges compared to a standard 5,10 or 20 lb tank I just can't justify it to myself unless there's a proven way to refill them from the larger tank.

Didn't someone on here post a success with refilling cartridges with some paintball gear? I ask because while I've never had my hands on any mini-CO2 gear, I would like to get such a rig for transporting a minikeg to family events but given the huge cost of CO2 in cartidges compared to a standard 5,10 or 20 lb tank I just can't justify it to myself unless there's a proven way to refill them from the larger tank.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...p4p_id=202404011117229952178392458715798726_5

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...L90HF8hA&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

refillable co2 carts . i have never tried these

while I've never had my hands on any mini-CO2 gear, I would like to get such a rig for transporting a minikeg to family events but given the huge cost of CO2 in cartidges compared to a standard 5,10 or 20 lb tank I just can't justify it to myself unless there's a proven way to refill them from the larger tank.
The cost of 16 gram cartridges shouldn't break the bank if you only use them for serving the occasional minikeg at a family picnic. You can get them from Amazon for about a buck a piece if you order 30 at a time (at least in the US). Or you can use a sodastream cylinder for your minikeg. Those can definitely be refilled from a larger CO2 tank.

Back