mini-keg vs tap-a-draft

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeysiin

Reaction score
i'm thinking about getting a tap-a-draft, as SWMBO won't let me keg (we dont have space, among other things). one, i'm wondering if this is the best of this type product, and two, i'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on using the PET bottles that comes with tap-a-draft, or if i should skip them for mini-kegs to use with the tap-a-draft... anyone have opinions?

I had a mini-keg system and tossed it after about 3 batches. The tap kept breaking and the kegs rusted. Other people have had better luck.

I liked mine, but I had the same problem. Rust in about 3 batches... I still have the the tap, but haven't used it in about a decade.

If they could kill the rust problem, I'd probably go back. Fridge sized, transportable, and pushed by CO2 (not air).

Although, this SS keg looks promising if it'll hold pressure.

I have the tap-a-draft system, two actually, and have been pretty happy with the system.

The only problem that I have encountered is that it can be difficult to clean the bottles. Once tapped, the 6 litre bottle often lasts two weeks in my fridge. As each beer is poured, a thin layer is left on the side of the bottle. This begins to dry and harden.

Being plastic, I am hesitant to use a bottlecarboy brush on them.

homebrewer_99 said:
I've used my minikegs over 6X each and I don't have a rust problem...where???

For me, it was the weld inside. Very little rust, but a strong metallic taste to the beer starting with batch #2.

kenche said:
I have the tap-a-draft system, two actually, and have been pretty happy with the system.

The only problem that I have encountered is that it can be difficult to clean the bottles. Once tapped, the 6 litre bottle often lasts two weeks in my fridge. As each beer is poured, a thin layer is left on the side of the bottle. This begins to dry and harden.

Being plastic, I am hesitant to use a bottlecarboy brush on them.

Dry and harden? You mean foam residue? Warm water takes care of that. As long as its rinsed when you empty it, I find them very easy to clean.

I love my TAD, I still use it even though I keg. Its great for parties.

You mean foam residue? Warm water takes care of that.

Well whatever it is, it is not coming out for me. I have used warm water, PBW, Oxy clean, and it won't come clean.

I never used to have a problem, but this is after about 6 uses.

Back