Mini Keezer Collar Brains Storming.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flomaster

Reaction score
so I have built my Keezer with Granite tiles its rather heavy to lift and its using the stock hinges for the time being. I just swapped my 5Lb tank out for a 20 Lb tank. It's to tall sit inside my keezer on the floor and the the hump is entirely out of the question.

I don't want a HUGE collar I was thinking 2x3 or some thing small.

here is the keezer
IMG_20110207_215309.jpg

here is how I keep it propped up. I have the hinged mounted to the lid and it just hangs down in the keezer when the lid is closed.
IMG_20110209_183645.jpg

now on to the brain storming part.

do I mount the collar to keezer or to the lid?

I was kinda thinking of using the stock hinge and attach the keezer to the collar. then using "L" brackets to attach the collar to the lid. I have a piece of 1/4" backer board attached to the top of the lid. and I have wood frame around the entire top of the lid including a piece of wood that runs the length of the lid on the inside I currently have my hinges attached to.

I want to move my 20Lb tank outside of the keezer and use a bulkhead fitting to get gas into the keezer. I plan on having 4 secondary regulators for each keg inside there and the collar will make a perfect mounting point.

any other ideas?

-=Jason=-

This might not be what you were looking for, but what about adding one of those gas pistons that are used to lift and hold open tonneau covers on pickup beds? Then you could bolt the collar to the lid, making it easier to get kegs in and out, and you wouldn't have to prop the lid open.

Hinge both, here is the reasoning: You can lift the collar to put in/remove kegs then lift the lid so you don't disturb or uncoil your beer and gas lines.

my taps will not be through the collar, so i don't see how lifting the lid vs lid and collar makes a difference. I had thought about using a shock or strut instead of the piece of wood, but home depot didn't have any and I didn't feel like going to autozone at the time.

I also toyed with the thought of an electronic actuator.

this collar would be a 2x3 or a 2x4 at the most.

-=jason=-

me? that stand is sexy enough that I would cut the bottom out, step in an inch or so, and raise the original bottom as high as I needed to go, to leave the new bottom low enough to make the overall unit taller to fit the tank without messing with the top or anything else.. half dozen brackets and facing board of your choice plus additional insulation and silicone and your good to go. I cant see making it taller hurting the look.

So the only reason for the collar would be for the gas line? You can just fish it through the weatherstripping, perhaps.

or maybe just a bulkhead fitting in the hump (i don't think there are cooling coils in the hump).
That thing is damn sexy btw.

I think mounting the collar to the freezer would be the way to go as it would give you a solid mounting point for gas pistons on both sides.

Back