Midwest PET carboy vs. Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiknjville

Reaction score
I just opened up my new starter kit from Midwest. I received a Midwest plastic carboy that says PET on it. I thought I was going to get a Better Bottle. I did a lot of research prior to ordering a kit and I specifically ordered this kit because I wanted a secondary that was virtually impermeable to oxygen which I know the Better Bottle is. Can anyone tell me if the Midwest carboy is virtually impermeable to oxygen? I can't figure out if polyethylene terephthalate (PET) plastic is what does this or not.

I'm choking down my Mr. Beer Classic American Light. Can't wait to brew my partial mash wheat beer. I am psyched!

You do realize that better bottles ARE PET don't you?

The better bottle corporation website. said:
FAQ

Don't think of BetterBottle carboys as plastic – think of them as better than glass, because they are made from a special, scientifically tested, polyethylene terephthalate copolymer (PET), which does not have the disadvantages of other plastics.

BetterBottle® fermentation carboys are: are: 1) Designed to be strong, scuff resistant, easy to handle, and essentially unbreakable, 2) Pure – Taste- and odor-free, BPA-free, DEHP-free, and plasticizer-free, 3) Virtually impermeable to oxygen, 4) Clear and colorless, 5) Incredibly light weight, and 6) Extraordinarily easy to wash and sanitize (no brushes necessary). BetterBottle carboys are not at all like other plastic carboys. The special PET, used to make BetterBottle carboys, is non-absorbing, non-porous, and non-wetting (hydrophobic), so it will not carry over flavors from one batch of wine or beer to the next and it is easier to clean and sanitize than glass or other plastics. Optional, BetterBottle racking adapters, SimpleFlo™ valves, and DryTrap™ air locks make oxygen-free racking and dispensing simple – no siphoning is necessary. Optional closures, which use O-rings to make tighter seals, are more easily cleaned and sanitized than conventional stoppers. In short, BetterBottle fermentation equipment is better – ideal for home winemaking and home brewing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the midwest bottles WERE made by the BB corporation these days, since they were the FIRST to turn out pet plastic carboys, type vessels, and now since the bpa scandal have even begun making them for the water bottle industry, that's why many folks scour places that sell bulk water looking for bottles that either say better bottle corp on the bottom, OR more than likely simply have the magic symbol <2> on the bottom....because for pennies they end up with better bottle bottles, or just as good.

The thing to realize is that the whole "oxygen permeability" thing is another one of those things that only noobs get in a tither about. When in reality most modern food grades plastics are no more or less permeable than any other. And that for the most part the whole permeability thing was whipped into a frenzy by the glass carboy industry to freak people out when they in truth were the ones freaked out by cheaper plastic fermenters entering into the market and stealing business away from them, so just like Fox news and the whole "They're taking the Christ out of Christmas" nonsense, the whole oxygen permeability/glass -vs- plastic thing is really just a lot of hot air.

If you got Pet, or Pete, you are fine, REGARDLESS of who made them.....relax.

It never ceases to amaze me what things you new brewers find to get stressed out about. ;)

The yeast don't care.

Thanks for the info! It might seem a bit overboard but I just don't want to buy a bunch of stuff and then realize I need to buy other stuff because the stuff I bought wasn't good enough.

Revvy is spot on. You will let more oxygen in with one hydrometer reading than will ever permeate that bottle. The Midwest bottle looks just like the BB so I would bet he's right about the manufacturer too. I actually like the straight-sided PET bottles because the are a bit easy to clean.

Ask revvy what he used to ferment in back in the day...
There was no such thing as food-grade plastics and people smoked ciggs cause they were good for you!!

Liked revvys post up until he tossed in fox news and Christmas thing. Totally not needed. I would also bet they are made by BB.

While I'm sure the Midwest PET bottles are fine, I'd double-check what the kit you ordered claimed to include. IIRC, Midwest sells both branded BB's and their house-brand (or unbranded) PET carboys, with the branded BB's at a slight premium. If that was what the kit claimed to include, I would request a discount or replacement, simply on principle.

All plastics are porous. Even PET, PE, PP, HDPE, Nalgene etc. The difference is how porous (they are less porous and designed that way).

Your worry about oxygen (and oxidization) is misguided. Worry more about harbored tastes and bacteria in porous plastic. And about the surface of the plastic when using various cleaning agents. But if you are going to use plastic, you are probably using the best commercial plastic product.

Back