MENARD'S Criterion chest freezer, anyone keezer it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcorn

Reaction score
Just noticed that Menards.com has some pretty awesome prices on their own brand (I am guessing, can not find any info at all on this brand) available in 5, 7 and 10.5 csqft. These chest freezers look pretty nice, even having their own adjustable thermostats. Might even have a refrigerator mode similar to the Igloo freezers? Anyone have any experience with them? The dimensions are similar or larger than normal freezers within it's class.
http://www.menards.com/main/p-2254907-c-5600.htm

Looks like a good deal, dont get too excited about the thermostat though its not enough to do temperature control with...its likely just like the others with a "Cold, Colder, Coldest" or some 0-7 scale ...

Looks like a good deal, dont get too excited about the thermostat though its not enough to do temperature control with...its likely just like the others with a "Cold, Colder, Coldest" or some 0-7 scale ...

You are probably right with the cold,colder coldest freezing temps. I really like that 7.2 Igloo with refridgeration control (175$ at best buy free instore pickup) but I cannot find anywhere that can confirm that it will fit 4 or 5 kegs with a collar. I have seem confirmation that it will maintain up to 50 degree temps consistently though with its built in refrigeration setting.

You are probably right with the cold,colder coldest freezing temps. I really like that 7.2 Igloo with refridgeration control (175$ at best buy free instore pickup) but I cannot find anywhere that can confirm that it will fit 4 or 5 kegs with a collar. I have seem confirmation that it will maintain up to 50 degree temps consistently though with its built in refrigeration setting.

FWIW i can tell you the Haier 7.1cuFt freezer that Costco(and i think Sams Club) sells year round for $175 does fit 4 kegs and probably a 5th with a collar..

I fit four 5 gallon ball locks, a 2.5 gallon ball lock on the hump with a 5# CO2 tank and dual regulator..its a very tight squeeze but it does all fit! :)

So if you know anyone with a Costco membership get them to let you in to take a look around.

FWIW i can tell you the Haier 7.1cuFt freezer that Costco(and i think Sams Club) sells year round for $175 does fit 4 kegs and probably a 5th with a collar..

I fit four 5 gallon ball locks, a 2.5 gallon ball lock on the hump with a 5# CO2 tank and dual regulator..its a very tight squeeze but it does all fit! :)

So if you know anyone with a Costco membership get them to let you in to take a look around.

That would be a very similar setup to mine minus the 5# tank. I also have a 2.5 gallon williams brewing keg. I absolutely love the little guy for split fermenter batches and especially poolside beer in the summer :) great deal on the Haier, I need to find a Costco friend.

Yea i use the 2.5 gallon keg to carbonate water, then go to Bed Bath and Beyond and buy some Sodastream syrups and a pump top...pump 2 squirts of syrup into a cup, pour in some carbonated water and you got some soda, or tonic water or anything else you want really they sell syrups of all flavors.

Haha that is awesome man

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Can you post a picture of all that in there? I have the same freezer and can fit 3 kegs, maybe 4 with a collar... so am thinking I am doing something stupid.

Can you post a picture of all that in there? I have the same freezer and can fit 3 kegs, maybe 4 with a collar... so am thinking I am doing something stupid.

Lucky for you i just put everything in my still building keezer to test that the lid still shut so i have a photo from a few days ago.

Keezer-Day19a.jpg

The 4 kegs on the bottom are a tight fit no doubt, if all of the other 3 kegs are full putting the 4th one in requires a bit of muscle but not so much that you think your breaking something...i could probably spray some lube or vaseline or something on the 4th one in those cases to make it slide in easy, but its rare i'd have 3 full kegs when im putting in a 4th :mug:

Thanks! I see two differences in yours and mine.

1) I have 1 or 2 commercial kegs in there as well. I 'believe' they are slightly larger?
2) You CRAM them in! Certainly nothing wrong with that though. If I see they fit, I will try that next time!

Yea according to this pic im guessing you have the D System?
kegcapacity.jpg

The extra diameter is whats killing you for that :)

Also while they are crammed in, there is still a bunch of dead space between the kegs particularly in the bottom left and top right corners, probably a good 3x3" space you can put a dehumidifier like an Eva-Dry 500 like i do. Or store a few bottles :)

I'm reviving this thread because I'm wondering if anyone's keezered a Menard's Criterion chest freezer. It's not in the Freezer spec sticky.

I'm reviving this thread because I'm wondering if anyone's keezered a Menard's Criterion chest freezer. It's not in the Freezer spec sticky.

I hit Menards with some cardboard circles.

It looks like the Criterion 10.6 cu ft holds 8 ball locks on the floor and 2 on the hump. The 7 holds 3 on the floor. The 5 holds 1 on the floor. I forgot to do the humps on the 5 and 7 because I was in a hurry. I hope that helps someone looking at these!

I just perused the online listing for the Menards Criterion freezers- and at least the 7cf one looks like it has a "large hump". As in, the hump seems to be wider in photos than other freezer photos I have seen. The 5cf doesn't show an inside picture, so no random comments about its hump.

All I can say is if Criterion is a Menards brand hopefully it's different than my Professional Series Freezer I got from them. It died after a year and a half and when I went on craigslist to find a new one I found a lot of people trying to sell or give away the same freezer I had

Just checked last night as these are on sale with the 11% rebate (both the 5 and the 7cuft)

The 5cuft will fit one 5gal pinlock on the floor, and could hold 2 additional 3gal pinlocks with a max height of 18.5" off the compressor hump. Not sure of the gas hookup height, but it'd be real close - may need a small collar. If using 3 5gal pinlocks the collar would need to be pretty significant in height to clear.

The 7cuft can fit 3 5gal pinlocks on the floor with ample height, and one 3gal pinlock on the compressor, same issue as before with roughly 18.5" from the top of the compressor hump to the lid.

The 7cuft would be the way to go unless you had space issues.

Sorry to red a dead thread but I have a question.

I just busted my GE 7.0 cu which I had a coller for. The coller measures 36.75x20 3/8.

Do you think my coller would fit on this one? Its 3/4 think wood so there in wiggle room. Thanks.

It's pretty hard to find anything out on these freezers and it's been a few years since this thread was started. Anyone have any experience using these as a keezer now?

Edit:

I checked out the 9.6 cubic foot one. Dimensions on the lower part are 20.5x23. Using 8.5 inch circles, it looks like you should be able to fit 5. The thing I don't like is that the compressor hump looks large on these. It was 11 inches wide and there was only 16 inches from the top of the hump to the top of the freezer. You could easily fit another two kegs on it, but it looks like you would need to use 2x10's for the collar, which starts getting pretty tall for lifting the kegs into the keezer. I really like the dimensions of this one otherwise, but I think that large hump is going to prevent me from getting it.

I picked up the 9.6 and have sized it for ball locks. You can easily fit five kegs in the lower part. The compressor shelf is pretty wide so I will be adding a collar. (2x10 will allow for 5 gal ball lock)

My plan is actually to have 4 kegs and a 20# CO2 tank in the lower part and two (or more) 2.5/3 gallon torpedo kegs on the shelf, with enough height to fit a full 5 gallon if I want.

Still in the design phase, deciding between adding a coffin top or just putting the taps in the collar.

I will post pictures later of the kegs inside the unmodified freezer.

edit:

I'm currently looking at the Criterion (menards) 9.6 CF freezer. How have these freezers performed so far? Any problems to write home about, this model or this brand?

I'm currently looking at the Criterion (menards) 9.6 CF freezer. How have these freezers performed so far? Any problems to write home about, this model or this brand?
I'm about to buy the criterion 9.6 as well. It would be great if anyone out there using one could comment on quality/reliability and how they set it up, maybe post some pics.

I've been using the 7.1 cf version for about 4 years now, works great and haven't had any issues with it.

Back