MD Bulk grain buy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I will set up a sign up sheet of some sort and get some of the details worked out on Monday while im at work.

I am pretty much game for whatever the majority wants. The idea of buying numerous types and splitting them up is a pretty good idea too though, but like I said, I am game for whatever!

I got the spreadsheet that the atlanta people used (im lazy) so email me you gmail mail info and ill add you alls to the edit list, just dont mess **** up :)

liftgate charges are BS. I used to be a chef & only 2 resturants i worked at even had a loading dock. I would argue that i not paying. Thirsty brewer doesnt even have a loading dock.

Ok, since I was somehow put in charge (still dont know how that happened but oh well :confused:) I am going to be taking alot of the advice that BobbyM gave.

I am making the decision that we need to get a minimum of 30 bags in order for this buy to go through. That will put shipping at a Max of $6.70 per bag as long as they dont change their fuel surchage between now and then.

If you are going to say that you will order x number of bags is the shipping get down to a certain point then dont bother ordering. I really dont want this getting screwed up by some people that are going to be anal over a couple bucks. Nothing is set in stone until we are unloading that truck. I am saying this now because I dont want to hear any bitching when something changes. When something changes it effects everyone not just you.

I am stealing the worksheet that p4ck37p1mp made and adjusting that. I am currently in the process of making changes on it and when I am done it will be made so that everyone can go in and adjust what they want. Please PM with your email address so I can add you to the list. Please do not change ANYTHING that is not on the line with your name on it. If you see anything you think should be changed or you want changed please let me know.

I will consider getting a sack of some specialty grains and splitting it into 5 pound increments but ONLY if there is enough interest. I do not want or can afford to get stuck with 35 pounds of Crystal 40. I will add a couple columns for some specialty grains. These will be done in 5lb increments so if you want 10lbs then put 2 in the amount rown for you. These bags will not be counted towards the 30 bags until we have enough people that want it to make 55lbs.

Lastly (for now that I can think of), as of right now Claphamsa will be handling all of the money but please do not even discuss sending money until the week before we place the order. This way we will have everything pretty much narrowed down completly instead of having to adjust it constantly.

Any questions or problems let me know.

Ok, so I am finding out that I REALLY F'in hate using google docs so I am just going to make a whole new sheet using excel then try and find out how to upload it and share it in google docs. This might not get done until tomorrow just to let everyone know.

So I clicked this thread in hope of finding people making fun of me, but no alas. I dunno if I should get in on this because I don't have a mill.....what do you all think?

I dont have a mill yet either but a mill is easier to get at anytime than getting in on a bulk buy. If it comes down to it ill just get a 30 dollar corona mill.

ok, so we need to decide if there are any specialty grains we wanna order, and split up.... any ideas? we would ideally need 5+ people wanting a certain specialty to make it worth ordering (that would be 11# each) and one problem is me and Data arent the most experienced brewers.....

Ok, I am finishing up the form now. I originally had canadian malting company on there for the pilsen but it seems from the two people that said they wanted it that they wanted the best malz. The best malz is about 5 bucks more per bag. It doesnt matter to me just let me know because I would like to keep all of the same type to the same brand.

Also for now I am adding Light Munich, Vienna and crystal 40 to the list to be split up. These will only be ordered if enough people want them to be able to split up the entire bag.

If anyone wants anything else added to the list let me know.

Ok, the current list can be seen here. Google docs was having some sort of problems and wouldnt let me share it so I will try that again tomorrow. Let me know if anyone sees any mistakes or problems with this.

And make sure you PM me your email address so I can add you to the list.

suggestions
change the formula in cell L19 to be
=IF((SUM(L4:L18)<11), 1,2)
change the formula in cell M19 to be
=IF((SUM(M4:M18)<11), 1,2)
change the formula in cell N19 to be
These changes above make it so the number of bags purchased is 1 if there are less than 11 people wanting a bag and 2 if it's greater than 11. It changes to the second bag when the bag size would drop below 5lb bags. I didn't take into account getting more than 22 people wanting any 1 specialty grain.

make the formula for cell L25 to be
=55/(SUM(L4:L18))
M25 would be
=55/(SUM(M4:M18))
N25 would be
=55/(SUM(N4:N18))

This would show the size of each bag if its divided up. If someone is ordering 2 then they get twice the number shown. This assumes all of them are 55lb bags, if there not just change to the size they are.

Can ya tell I'm bored with work?

suggestions
These changes above make it so the number of bags purchased is 1 if there are less than 11 people wanting a bag and 2 if it's greater than 11. It changes to the second bag when the bag size would drop below 5lb bags. I didn't take into account getting more than 22 people wanting any 1 specialty grain.

Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to do but didnt know about the "<" function. I was trying to do it with an if/then function.

M25 would be
N25 would be

This would show the size of each bag if its divided up. If someone is ordering 2 then they get twice the number shown. This assumes all of them are 55lb bags, if there not just change to the size they are.

I think for now it will be easier if we just do it in 5lb increments then at the end if we dont have 11 orders for one we can figure what the split would be at that point.

suggestions

M25 would be
N25 would be

i cant figure out how to make it show me the equations.... oh well :)

I couldn't either, all I could figure out was to download it as .xls and then do it in excel and re-upload it.

It might make payments easier if you set up a paypal account. Just thinking...

The final decision is up to clapamsa but I think he is just going to front the money and everyone pay him when they pick up the grain.

I couldn't either, all I could figure out was to download it as .xls and then do it in excel and re-upload it.

Click View then there's Formula Bar as an option under it. Also in edit mode you double click the cell and it shows the formula. Press Enter when done editing it, if you try to click off, it will add that cell to the formula.

Ok, I just sent an invite to everyone that has sent me their email address.

DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE NUMBER OF BAGS YOU WANT IN THE LINE WITH YOUR NAME ALREADY ON IT!

if you think anything needs changed let me or clapamsa know.

on another note... Ill be buying 5-6 LBs of hops... and I can split them out with people if you so desire. But PM me, so we dont mess up the thread!

We can also get extract too. I think that each thing of extract will just count as a bag of grain. I am not going to edit the spreadsheet unless anyone shows any interest so let me know if you want any.

It is briess and they have 50 lbs light dry for $104.70 and 60 lbs light liguid for $79.70 and those prices include the 6.70 shipping.

You want me to ask my local Home brew club? I was kinda scared of asking because the response might be overwhelming or they might not want any, there are 75-100 people in the club but I can give a max like first 10 bags or first 5 bags to respond can be added or something.

Hell if they want enough we could possibly get another pallet and the prices might go down a little more then.

Back