Masterbuilt Gravity Smoker/Grill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hottpeper13

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like a reasonable price for a set and forget unit, and i can use the lump coal I already have. The web site is just a picture and has no info on how this beauty works,how to control it and shut it off. Anyone using one of these that can tell me if it's a good investment? I have a vision Kamado,but would like to do cold smoking,and the Vision does't smoke under 225*

I have a 1050 (the big one) and I love it.

It works a lot like a pellet grill, in that you load the fuel, set the temperature, and the PID controller takes care of everything. Temperature regulation is done with a fan between the cooking chamber and the chimney. Smoke comes from adding hardwood to the charcoal hopper, and/or placing it under the hopper where ashes fall on it.

It has no trouble holding within a degree or two of 225 for hours at a time. (I actually don't think it goes below 225?) I've only used it at ~700 F once or twice, but it gets there with no problem.

Compared to a pellet grill, it's much less fiddly and gives much more smoke flavor.

I've found the app and the built in temperature probes both to be a bit flaky, and I now use my own remote thermometer and set the temperature using the manual controls.

Finally, it arrives in a box in a thousand pieces. It was a full day's work getting the thing put together.

This review is pretty comprehensive.

A buddy at work has one and loves it. He said he uses it for grilling, smoking and as a regular BBQ. I am waiting for my Weber to finally kick it and will look into these a bit more, they look like a nice all around unit to do multiple things.

Thanks guys, I really enjoy my Vision grill and will wait to see if they upgrade the components that fail. For now I guess the Little Chief Smoker will be my cold smoke option.

Thanks guys, I really enjoy my Vision grill and will wait to see if they upgrade the components that fail. For now I guess the Little Chief Smoker will be my cold smoke option.

I don't think any of these units are built for cold smoking, but your Vision absolutely can do it (as long as outdoor temps aren't too high).

Look up the A-Maze-N pellet smoker. Load that into the bottom of your Vision with NO other fuel, get it lit and smoking, and put in a heat deflector and whatever you want to cold smoke. The tiny smoldering of the pellets won't create enough heat (again, especially if it's cold outside) to get you too warm to keep things cold-smoked.

I don't think any of these units are built for cold smoking, but your Vision absolutely can do it (as long as outdoor temps aren't too high).

Look up the A-Maze-N pellet smoker. Load that into the bottom of your Vision with NO other fuel, get it lit and smoking, and put in a heat deflector and whatever you want to cold smoke. The tiny smoldering of the pellets won't create enough heat (again, especially if it's cold outside) to get you too warm to keep things cold-smoked.
The A-Maze-N would never keep lit when I closed my Traeger lid. Believe me, I tried many many times. Worked fine when the lid was open of course. It went in the recycle bin.

I replaced with a standard tube and have no problems since.

The A-Maze-N would never keep lit when I closed my Traeger lid. Believe me, I tried many many times. Worked fine when the lid was open of course. It went in the recycle bin.

I replaced with a standard tube and have no problems since.

I know that gas grills often recommend the A-Maze-N tube smoker rather than the rectangular one. I think it depends on airflow which one works better. I think I've heard of people having success with the rectangular in a kamado.

Either way, for cold smoking it's usually the way to go, as nothing based on a large live fire will stay cold enough for cold smoking, but the tube/rectangular pellet smokers usually can.

I know that gas grills often recommend the A-Maze-N tube smoker rather than the rectangular one. I think it depends on airflow which one works better. I think I've heard of people having success with the rectangular in a kamado.

Either way, for cold smoking it's usually the way to go, as nothing based on a large live fire will stay cold enough for cold smoking, but the tube/rectangular pellet smokers usually can.
Yea, they work great. However, I have smoked homemade cheese on a weber smokey mountain. Given enough care, it's not hard.
1686265062317.png

1686265068321.png

1686265074868.png

I have the Vision grill and the only factory item I replaced was the felt gasket with a high temp version which has held up for several years now. Every so often I have to disemble the top vent to clean it since it gets gummed up over time.

What issues are you having with your Vision grill?

For indirect grilling I purchased this: Link which has worked out great since the heat deflector's made from stone tend to crack over time.

My only gripe with the Vision grill is that to clean out the ashes I lift out the inter firebox to access them since trying to suck them out throgh the lower front opening proves to be challenging.

For smoking I still prefer my Weber Smokey Mountain.

My gasket is about ready for replacement. Only thing that broke was the perforated grate that swings, it warped and i cut it out and it burns way more evenly. I dump the ash tray after each use,no big deal. I can hold 160* if i want but it won't produce smoke until around 225*.

Back