Looking to get a used smoker & need advise please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my Akorn. I do 4 chickens at a time. Good price here.
https://rochester.craigslist.org/for/d/pittsford-acorn-smoker/6907340744.html
You will want to get the smoke stone for indirect cooking.
0626151435a.jpg

I am thinking about getting a smoker as well, a friend has an electric smoker, who does my salt for me. After looking around and the FACT you could smoke in your oven with a sealed unit and a tuna can with chips (saw it for sale) I think I might just get an electric element and rig it to my Propane BBQ, one of those 100 dollar jobs. If I tank it no biggie, it is a few years old now anyhow. Gonna make it removable, couple of wingnuts.
From what I have been reading the temp is set per weight and meat, the smoke is from chips, put in a used soup can and another for water and it looks like a go....The Element is 45.00 for a new 120 V 15 amp that has a control like a griddle... I've even seen a smoker made of an upright file cabinet. But I am in the Deep South now.

I am thinking about getting a smoker as well, a friend has an electric smoker, who does my salt for me. After looking around and the FACT you could smoke in your oven with a sealed unit and a tuna can with chips (saw it for sale) I think I might just get an electric element and rig it to my Propane BBQ, one of those 100 dollar jobs. If I tank it no biggie, it is a few years old now anyhow. Gonna make it removable, couple of wingnuts.
From what I have been reading the temp is set per weight and meat, the smoke is from chips, put in a used soup can and another for water and it looks like a go....The Element is 45.00 for a new 120 V 15 amp that has a control like a griddle... I've even seen a smoker made of an upright file cabinet. But I am in the Deep South now.
Yup. I've seen old oil barrells used, old kegs, etc. Any chamber to keep the hot smoke (or cold smoke) works. It all comes down to how much control you want on the heat.
I watch some bbq shows and it seems that every real bbq joint has its own smoker, usually 50+ years old and built by a family member.
Type of wood, rub, etc. All play major parts too

Yup. I've seen old oil barrells used, old kegs, etc. Any chamber to keep the hot smoke (or cold smoke) works. It all comes down to how much control you want on the heat.
I watch some bbq shows and it seems that every real bbq joint has its own smoker, usually 50+ years old and built by a family member.
Type of wood, rub, etc. All play major parts too
I am sure those are used food grade oil barrels, not motor oil....LOL

My first attempt at smoking was simply one of those smoker tray/boxes for gas grills. I found it was pretty easy to keep the grill chamber at acceptable temps by only lighting one burner on one side of the grill, setting the smoker box on top of it, and making sure the food was placed over on the opposite side of the grill so the heat was indirect. It worked just fine. No electric element required either. I've also heard of people just putting chips into a pack of aluminum foil with a few holes poked in it, which does the same thing.

However, if you want to go with the electric element, there are TONS of options... As you say, a metal file cabinet works. I always liked the Alton Brown terra cotta smoker idea... Check out the below video (about 9:30 into the video he shows the build):

I am sure those are used food grade oil barrels, not motor oil....LOL
Ha! Right?
Actually, one WAS an oil barel- they burned they heck out of it first.
Really a great little video... found it going down a rabbit hole one day (almost for sure on this site I bet!)
The "family" doing the video was kind of... interesting... too to watch.

That vid is really cool, especially since I have that burner already....However, a quick peek at FB Market and I found a handful for a 100 or less. I found a Master something with a glass door, used twice, looks good for 110. Really can't beat it when I can buy a middle of the road set up for 100. Not hijacking a thread merely adding in what I've found and it really is cool the input everyone has.

My first attempt at smoking was simply one of those smoker tray/boxes for gas grills. I found it was pretty easy to keep the grill chamber at acceptable temps by only lighting one burner on one side of the grill, setting the smoker box on top of it, and making sure the food was placed over on the opposite side of the grill so the heat was indirect. It worked just fine. No electric element required either. I've also heard of people just putting chips into a pack of aluminum foil with a few holes poked in it, which does the same thing.

However, if you want to go with the electric element, there are TONS of options... As you say, a metal file cabinet works. I always liked the Alton Brown terra cotta smoker idea... Check out the below video (about 9:30 into the video he shows the build):

Cool vid, great for a quick set up! Mission V, I prob built your house or at least the roof, maybe just 'pick up' fixing other's mistakes. Miss the weather for sure.

Latest posts

Back