Looking to get a used smoker & need advise please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am very interesting in getting a smoker. I figured I would go used since my wife only eats chicken, turkey and fish (no read meats or pork), my oldest daughter is very similar to her but is trying to go vegetarian and my youngest is becoming picky but will try most things (after much bickering and complaining) so I am hopeful she will enjoy it more like me. With that being said, I don't want to invest too much into this right off the bat b/c I may be the only one eating brisket, ribs and other meats the other three won't eat. I figure I could also smoke something else for them too at the same time once I learn more about this art.

I've started looking on Craigslist and came across these two units less than 10 minutes away from me. Looks like the same person is selling them. I have no preference over propane or charcoal but not sure if either are worth looking at or not. Any advice, insight, suggestions, tips, tricks, etc... would be greatly appreciated. Also, anything to look for when looking at a used smoker would help too.

Charcoal Smoker OR Propane Smoker

Thanks in advance everyone!

I'd go propane. It's going to be easier to use, and an easier learning curve. Given the size, you may have to do things to "fit" some of the bigger meats in there. I know people sometimes will cut a brisket in half, or ribs in half, etc.

I like offset smokers... But I think that the low-end offsets are going to be a lot more finicky than high-end offsets, because the firebox is small, the chamber is small, it's going to have very thin metal and won't retain heat well, etc.

I'm a fan of using wood or charcoal with wood. But, I like to keep tinkering with the fire/wood/air ratio to get the temp I'm looking for. I also have a lot of fruit trees in my back yard so I have free wood to burn or make charcoal out of.

Have you checked out any new ones? They don't have to be expensive to work well.

I'm a fan of using wood or charcoal with wood. But, I like to keep tinkering with the fire/wood/air ratio to get the temp I'm looking for. I also have a lot of fruit trees in my back yard so I have free wood to burn or make charcoal out of.

Have you checked out any new ones? They don't have to be expensive to work well.

No I have not looked at new ones. I’m afraid I would like the most expensive one and then deal with trying to talk myself out of getting it. What would you recommend as a good smoker to start with that doesn’t break the bank? I like the idea of using work and charcoal over propane but I’m not opposed to using propane either if that makes sense.
I thought about getting a charcoal domed grill and play with that as a smoker. I’ve read and seen videos about people using them. So that’s always an option with a good thermostat to keep an eye on the temperature.

There's lots of good info on the Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM), including the virtual bullet site listed above. Having lots of anecdotal stories on forums like that make it easy to master a smoker. I bought my WSM used for $100 and used it a LOT. It sits outside in the elements and still looks like when I bought it (well, it could use a cleaning, but it's not rusting or anything.

My neighbor bought some sort of small cheap electric smoker a year ago and he's already tossed it because it fell apart.

You can smoke on a simple kettle grill, but controlling temperatures over long periods of time are a chore. Even on the WSM, I use an external controller to do long (overnight) smokes.

I agree that an offset smoker has some real advantages, but those smokers are usually quite large. I guess they do double duty, as a regular grill and offset smoker. That's pretty nice. I'd consider one of those some day, but it appears that my weber kettle (Performer model) and WSM smoker will outlive me.

@passedpawn is this the one you have or similar?
https://rochester.craigslist.org/hsh/d/penfield-weber-smoker-barbecue-grill/6897022122.html
It’s about a 30 minute drive away but seems like I could get it for $100 or less assuming it’s still available.
I’ll have to research this some more.

Yep. The shell is made of 3 parts: base, middle cylinder, and the lid. I installed a couple of wood handles on the middle part to make it easier to move around. One negative of the WSM is that it is a pain to move. I also installed a cheap bimetal temperature gauge in the lid. They aren't very acurate (+/- 25 degrees), but they let me see if the coals are doing alright. A remote (wireless) sensor is better and sorta essential, but you'll see later.

I've made a ton of stuff on that thing, from fish to smoked peppers to beef jerkey to all manner of beef and pork. It's a fine way to get started. I also think it's kinda fun to start with coal and do it basic way. Maybe you'll later change to gas or electric, but at least you'll have tried the way the cowboys did it.

No I have not looked at new ones. I’m afraid I would like the most expensive one and then deal with trying to talk myself out of getting it. What would you recommend as a good smoker to start with that doesn’t break the bank? I like the idea of using work and charcoal over propane but I’m not opposed to using propane either if that makes sense.
I thought about getting a charcoal domed grill and play with that as a smoker. I’ve read and seen videos about people using them. So that’s always an option with a good thermostat to keep an eye on the temperature.

All I can really say is to get out and look at some different types of smokers. The most important things to me are being able to access the fire and meat easily.

I started with a three piece Brinkman. The bottom was for the fire, middle could hold two racks and water bowl if you wanted to use a water bowl, and the top was the cover. I went through three of those before getting my current smoker. It was easy to use. They also make a two piece that isn't practical imo.

My current smoker is hard to describe. It has several options for cooking or smoking. The smoking cabinet is tall with 6 racks plus an area for hanging linked sausages. It also has the option of building a fire in the bottom of the cabinet or building a fire in a side mounted grill/smoke box for cold smoking. I can also grill on the smoke box. Bought it on closeout from Home Depot over the internet for less than half of regular price. It weighs about 200 pounds and should last for a long time.

I've had several smokers over the last 20+ years. They all made good food.

I have a friend who re-purposed a stainless steel cabinet into a smoker. It works fine.

I have an old O.K. Joe's. That I got on Craigslist for cheap. Its heavy as hell, but not a really big cooking area. I can do a 18lb brisket but hard to do more than 2 racks of ribs. Holds heat really well.

I also have a small portable propane smoker that works well, but space is limited and hard to keep heat under 275.
Masterbuilt MB20050116 MPS 20B Patio-2-Portable Propane Smoker, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079K9VR46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8Hh-CbC8E7FSV

I second a bone-in pork-butt as your first run. Most forgiving piece of meat.
I've put all kinds of non-meat stuff on the smoker. Eggplant, tomatoes/tomatillos, summer and winter squash, garlic, onions. If you add a cool/cold smoke setup you can do cheeses.

And fishes are delicious. Did these bass on the portable propane under an easy-up lakeside in the pouring rain.
20180415_183449.jpg

Attachments

• 20180415_163902.jpg
    20180415_163902.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 69
The WSM has a huge community, and can be had cheap. Never used one, but it has a good reputation. It would be a great way to get started.

For ease of use, an electric smoker is hard to beat. Even a cheap one can make pretty good food. You just have to feed it wood. They are available at all price points. I think mine was $50, but I honestly only use it as a cold smoke chamber.

Pellet poopers like Traeger also can make great food but I believe the consumable cost is higher.

Personally, my daily driver is a ceramic grill/smoker. Mine is a Big Green Egg, but they all work the same. Vision, Kamado Joe, whatever. I like the style because I really enjoy the flavor from lump charcoal, they can run for a long time unattended, and you can also turn up the heat and do high-temperature grilling. If you don’t care about high temperatures, skip the ceramics though, and get a dedicated smoker.

GMG pellet. All will put out some fantastic food but I prefer the pellet pooper.
I like that term.
My bro-in-law has a pellet-pooper and I used it a few times. I'm not going to buy one soon, but would consider it if I get another.

I didn't know if it was worth the cost when I got my smoker back in early 2000s. Price is more affordable now and tech is better. It was really easy. Set it, and you're good.

No experience with the electric ones. Offset stick burners and propane uprights. My experience with (cheap) propane upright cabinets is that they are easy and reliable but run hot.

Vertical Vs horizontal, wood, charcoal, propane and electric. Good and bad to all. I remain certain vertical tastes better. Horizontal has more room and top loads/mop sauce. Just like a kamado, vertical smoking is best for flavor, imo. Heres my list one and two.

1.get an electric
2.get a kamado

I like starting with the electric. .mine was 150 on Amazon prime came day later. Then get a wsm or kamado. I have reccomend the mes 30 wildly since the day I bought it and the people on the smoking meat thread who have bought one, love it. If you dont have kids and this is some big trip/hobby for you then get wsm first. If you want to fire it up as often and as easily as you like, it's a no brainer.

I have an electric smoker, this one - http://www.cookshack.com/SM025_5
However, I bought mine a few years ago and dropped 600.00 on it. Best smoker I've ever had.

It's basically an easy bake oven for adults. I follow the recipe book that came with it when it comes to the amount of wood chunks to add at the start and it's a "set it and forget it" type operation. I've done many a pork butt and brisket and all have turned out excellent.

One thing I learned about smoking meats and doing a bit of research, is that the meat does not take on any more smoke after it reaches a temp of 140 degrees. I've over smoked turkeys, beef and pork and the bark was disgustingly bitter.

In all reality, what ever you chose to go with, you have to fine tune your process and if it works well for you, you're successful!

basically an easy bake oven for adults.
Use caution with a semi-automated set & forget smoker. One of the best benefits of fuggin around with my stick-burner is that it is so hands-on. Sometimes I have to tell my wife that I can't attend that boring event with those people I don't like because I HAVE TO TEND THE SMOKER AND DRINK BEER ALL DAY!!! I HAVE TO!

@pshankstar you do NOT want that WSM in the link you posted above. That is the 14" WSM--you'll be very capacity-constrained, even if you're primarily cooking for yourself. The WSM is a great smoker, but if you get one you want the 18.5" version.

FYI based on your description, it sounds like you want to keep this relatively inexpensive. So the folks talking about a pellet pooper or a kamado are probably talking about grills out of your [desired] price range.

So here's what I'd say when it comes to used/inexpensive:

Offset: As I said before, an offset smoker is great, but I think you'll give up significant quality with a cheap/used version in that $50-150 price range. Thin metal, small firebox, difficult to likely manage temps and airflow well. For a first smoker, I think this will be more trouble than it's worth.

Propane or Electric cabinet smoker: The propane smoker you linked in the OP falls into this category, and Masterbuilt makes an electric version as well. Retail on a lot of these smokers can be <$200. Used, in the $100 range is probably common. These are excellent "set and forget" smokers. Easy to use, easy to regulate temps. For both you use propane or an electric heat element as your heat source, and then wood chips or chunks smoldering to create smoke. I had a Masterbuilt 40" Propane as my first smoker and loved it. Not much to really state with used ones except obviously to make sure that the electric element and controller works.

Weber Smokey Mountain or other "bullet" type smokers: The WSM is a stellar smoker. Huge online community devoted to the WSM. Rather than propane/electric, you use charcoal briquets as your heat source, and wood chunks for the smoke flavor, and manage temps via airflow. As stated above, if you go this route you want the 18.5" diameter version, as the 14" will be too small. The biggest problem here is price. Retail on the WSM 18.5" is typically around $300 or a little higher. Which means it will be hard to find a used one in the $100 range, so you might be spending a little more. There are other brands of bullet-type smokers, but once you get out of Weber, I can't speak to much to build quality. BTW the WSM will take a little more work--it's not quite as "set and forget" as a propane or electric, as you'll have to learn how to manage your fire. But the reward IMHO is worth it.

Drum-style smokers: These would be the Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS) or the Pit Barrel Cooker. The UDS is much more of a DIY model. You need to source a 55 gallon food-grade drum and have the mechanical capability to convert it using a kit like this, but if you can do that it's remarkably inexpensive and a great smoker. The Pit Barrel Cooker is very similar to the UDS, but already made for you. It's a bit smaller, more similar in size [and price] to the WSM. Both of these smokers follow the same idea as the WSM--you use charcoal as your heat source and wood chunks as your smoke and manage temps via airflow. But both are very good options.

So the real question is whether you want ease of use, in which case the propane/electric is a better bet. If you want a little more hands-on approach, there are a few options using charcoal that are hard to go wrong.

I am very interesting in getting a smoker. I figured I would go used since my wife only eats chicken, turkey and fish (no read meats or pork), my oldest daughter is very similar to her but is trying to go vegetarian and my youngest is becoming picky but will try most things (after much bickering and complaining) so I am hopeful she will enjoy it more like me. With that being said, I don't want to invest too much into this right off the bat b/c I may be the only one eating brisket, ribs and other meats the other three won't eat. I figure I could also smoke something else for them too at the same time once I learn more about this art.

I've started looking on Craigslist and came across these two units less than 10 minutes away from me. Looks like the same person is selling them. I have no preference over propane or charcoal but not sure if either are worth looking at or not. Any advice, insight, suggestions, tips, tricks, etc... would be greatly appreciated. Also, anything to look for when looking at a used smoker would help too.

Charcoal Smoker OR Propane Smoker

Thanks in advance everyone!
Imo and fwiw... i have 4 bbq's (more but the wife has put the foot down!):
- a basic weber kettle grill $99 anywhere
-a weber 2 burner propanr
-a small traeger pellet "pooper"
-a large custom built 3 chamber smoker i inheritatied from an uncle.

If.you can afford it- the trager! Set and forget! $400 plus pelletes.

Honestly tho- get the old school weber kettle grill. I do 90% of all cooking on this! indirect heat, smoke, grill... it does it all. More labor on a brisket sure but for the price does it all

I do quite a bit of smoking,mostly whole chickens. I have a Brinkman "domed" charcoal cooker I converted to electric just for smoking. The element and stainless steel pan is from a table top electric grill that I found in a thrift shop that just so happened to fit under the three legs of the brinkman. I do 3 pans of chips per smoke session,which the chip pan is just a simple cookie gift tin with the paint burned off or what is called "Japaned" . I still use the drip pans from the grill as smoke diverters and water pan .
I'm guessing you're going to be hot smoking as I am vs cold smoking which is done for things like charcuteries (some fish, cured sausages and salamis- basically long term stored smoked meats and cheeses )

@pshankstar you do NOT want that WSM in the link you posted above. That is the 14" WSM--you'll be very capacity-constrained, even if you're primarily cooking for yourself. The WSM is a great smoker, but if you get one you want the 18.5" version.

FYI based on your description, it sounds like you want to keep this relatively inexpensive. So the folks talking about a pellet pooper or a kamado are probably talking about grills out of your [desired] price range.

So here's what I'd say when it comes to used/inexpensive:

Offset: As I said before, an offset smoker is great, but I think you'll give up significant quality with a cheap/used version in that $50-150 price range. Thin metal, small firebox, difficult to likely manage temps and airflow well. For a first smoker, I think this will be more trouble than it's worth.

Propane or Electric cabinet smoker: The propane smoker you linked in the OP falls into this category, and Masterbuilt makes an electric version as well. Retail on a lot of these smokers can be <$200. Used, in the $100 range is probably common. These are excellent "set and forget" smokers. Easy to use, easy to regulate temps. For both you use propane or an electric heat element as your heat source, and then wood chips or chunks smoldering to create smoke. I had a Masterbuilt 40" Propane as my first smoker and loved it. Not much to really state with used ones except obviously to make sure that the electric element and controller works.

Weber Smokey Mountain or other "bullet" type smokers: The WSM is a stellar smoker. Huge online community devoted to the WSM. Rather than propane/electric, you use charcoal briquets as your heat source, and wood chunks for the smoke flavor, and manage temps via airflow. As stated above, if you go this route you want the 18.5" diameter version, as the 14" will be too small. The biggest problem here is price. Retail on the WSM 18.5" is typically around $300 or a little higher. Which means it will be hard to find a used one in the $100 range, so you might be spending a little more. There are other brands of bullet-type smokers, but once you get out of Weber, I can't speak to much to build quality. BTW the WSM will take a little more work--it's not quite as "set and forget" as a propane or electric, as you'll have to learn how to manage your fire. But the reward IMHO is worth it.

Drum-style smokers: These would be the Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS) or the Pit Barrel Cooker. The UDS is much more of a DIY model. You need to source a 55 gallon food-grade drum and have the mechanical capability to convert it using a kit like this, but if you can do that it's remarkably inexpensive and a great smoker. The Pit Barrel Cooker is very similar to the UDS, but already made for you. It's a bit smaller, more similar in size [and price] to the WSM. Both of these smokers follow the same idea as the WSM--you use charcoal as your heat source and wood chunks as your smoke and manage temps via airflow. But both are very good options.

So the real question is whether you want ease of use, in which case the propane/electric is a better bet. If you want a little more hands-on approach, there are a few options using charcoal that are hard to go wrong.
There are some real jems in here. I like the uds, is that like a poor man's kamado?

I do quite a bit of smoking,mostly whole chickens. I have a Brinkman "domed" charcoal cooker I converted to electric just for smoking. The element and stainless steel pan is from a table top electric grill that I found in a thrift shop that just so happened to fit under the three legs of the brinkman. I do 3 pans of chips per smoke session,which the chip pan is just a simple cookie gift tin with the paint burned off or what is called "Japaned" . I still use the drip pans from the grill as smoke diverters and water pan .
I'm guessing you're going to be hot smoking as I am vs cold smoking which is done for things like charcuteries (some fish, cured sausages and salamis- basically long term stored smoked meats and cheeses )
That sounds super cool and clever. Would love to see it. I cant picture how the smoke goes from between the legs up into the kettle. I like work like this.

I have a (relatively) cheap offset smoker and do great with it, working within its limits

Start with part of a small bag of self-light charcoal briquettes, let them go about 15 minutes, then stuff the smokebox full of lump charcoal, wait 5 minutes, put my meat on, add my smoke wood on the coals, close it up, walk away for 3 hours and pull the meat out, finish up in the oven whatever time is necessary

I own both a Big Steel Keg, which is a kamado style cooker, and a RecTec pellet smoker. I like and still use them both but for ease of use and functionality with anything under 500 degrees the RecTec pellet pooper can't be beat.

Previously I've owned or still own a WSM, two different Weber Smokey Joes, as well as various other smokers including a propane smoker way back when on which the propane tank hose caught fire and had to be put out with a fire extinguisher. I don't recommend that one unless you are a thrill seeker.

However after years of trouble free use I feel confident recommending anything with the name Weber on it.

There are some real jems in here. I like the uds, is that like a poor man's kamado?

I think of it more like a bigger DIY version of the Weber Smokey Mountain. Like the WSM, it uses briquets rather than lump, and it doesn't have nearly the thermal mass of a kamado. But it's fundamentally the same as a WSM--a vertical cylindrical "bullet" type smoker, fed by charcoal with wood chunks for smoke, where temps are regulated via airflow.

I posted a link to a kit, which doesn't include a water pan like the WSM has. But as it can be VERY DIY, you don't even need the kit if you're handy enough, and if you wanted to put in a water pan or a heat deflector of some sort, it's not all that hard to do.

I think of it more like a bigger DIY version of the Weber Smokey Mountain. Like the WSM, it uses briquets rather than lump, and it doesn't have nearly the thermal mass of a kamado. But it's fundamentally the same as a WSM--a vertical cylindrical "bullet" type smoker, fed by charcoal with wood chunks for smoke, where temps are regulated via airflow.

I posted a link to a kit, which doesn't include a water pan like the WSM has. But as it can be VERY DIY, you don't even need the kit if you're handy enough, and if you wanted to put in a water pan or a heat deflector of some sort, it's not all that hard to do.
Thanks man. You have offered a lot of great smoker tips an info. Yeah I checked out that site pretty thoroughly and started some videos. In the past, I decided the big green egg minimax was for me. It is pretty cool if you havent seen it. And the reviews are great, matching exactly what I want it for. It comes with it's own handles and is little. Works just like an egg of course, but because it is little heats up super fast. Has the cooking size of the medium iirc.

I wanted something little that heats super fast to a 1000 degree for steaks or whatever. Pizza too and can smoke well. Not worried about buying it for entertainment purposes and am focusing on it just for daily use. Ultimately kind of need two kamados. A little small family daily user and a huge party monster. The electric 30 has four rows and fits plenty. While it would be an upgrade from the kingsford the kamado seems the right tool for me. Surprisingly my buddy with an egg wants my little electric. It's pretty convenient.

That sounds super cool and clever. Would love to see it. I cant picture how the smoke goes from between the legs up into the kettle. I like work like this.
If you can picture a Brinkman charcoal smoker /grill. Its maybe 30 inches tall ,cylindrical ,black, domed lid, has 2 grill plates for tier cooking and 2 black bowl shaped pans meant for drip and charcoal . I got it from my mother in law who said they used it a few times and the charcoal always went out before they got anything good off of it. They did maybe 5 chickens on it during the time they had it. They said I could have it if I wanted and I came up with the configuration I have and still use . I think it was a bad design for a charcoal cooker to begin with since in its factory design , doesnt allow good air circulation for proper charcoal combustion. a few simple holes drilled in the charcoal pan would have helped a bit.
Anyway...
the scavanged electric heat element sits atop the stainless steel pan it came with ...All I did was took the plastic parts off of the table top grill and used the actual working parts- the element itself which looks a lot like a miniature electric oven heat element and is attached to the control switch already,an actual grill surface that the element slides into where I place my chip pan on top of and it all fits in a lip on the stainless steel drip pan . The 3 legs of the smoker are maybe 3 inches tall , the SS pan sits on the ground ,JUST fits between 2 of the legs and bumps up to the last one in back. I fill a chip pan with wood chips place it on top and its good to go for 45 minutes to an hour. I do 2 to 3 pans per session. I take the smoker off to empty and refill the chips. Its way simpler than I have described. I'm frugal .I wasnt about to pay what they want for a smoker that Im only going to use a few times per year.

When I do 3 chickens I rub them up and arrange them like a chicken tripod on the top grill surface ,chicken butt down, the domed lid fits tight enough without touching the chickens. My wifes aunt would go to Costco to pick up the chickens for me to smoke,good sized ones too if you know Costco. I've had standing order requests from family to bring my smoked chickens to family gatherings,Thanksgiving,memorial day,etc . I watched a group of 16 (5 of which were teenage boys) destroy 3 chickens in 15 minutes.

23517590_10214697553739432_2115242691299076967_n.jpg

Ive done ribs and jerky too. My dad has a low pressure propane smoker my sister and I split on for Fathers day from Home Depot probably 10 yrs ago...he smokes pork butts ,ribs and chops quite a bit too. One of the best gifts we ever gave him.
He told me about the 3-1-1 method of smoking meats...after youve rubbed the meat you allow it to dry marinade in the fridge overnight wrapped in cellophane. Before you smoke it , allow it to come to room temp for a minimum of 1 hour. put it in the smoker for 3 hours changing chips when necessary, take it off ,have a tight fitting aluminum foil pan ready to put the meat in, and pour 1 cup of a mixture of 50/50 apple juice and water over the meat,put foil over the top to seal it in,no leaks, allow it to rest exactly 1 hour, the meat will have absorbed most of the juice, put it back on the smoker for 1 hour to finish.
I also have my own 4 ingredient rib/wing glaze my wife says I could enter in contests but I wont give up my recipe.

There's been a lot of commentary on electric smokers - I love my Masterbuilt 30". About as complicated as a crock pot - set the temperature, add chips every hour or so, and bam, gorgeous smoked BBQ. I've had mine for five years, using it probably 15 to 20 times per year, with no issues. Smoked corn and smoked potatoes work really well too.

He told me about the 3-1-1 method of smoking meats...

I do a 3-?-1 method.

with ribs, it's easy: 3-2-1, 3 in the smoker, 2 in the oven wrapped in foil with 1/2 of a little bottle of apple juice poured over, then 1 unwrapped with BBQ sauce on it, usually Famous Dave's Sweet & Sassy

for butts & brisket, figure out the total time based on 1.5 hours x weight in pounds, then it's 3 hours in the smoker, then it's wrapped in foil, (butts get a full little bottle of apple juice) and time in the oven depends on the weight (1.5 x lbs - 4) and the last hour is in the oven, unwrapped

used to use McCormick's Grill Mates pork rub, in the short, squat jar, but they've apparently stopped making it.

try
I do a 3-?-1 method.

with ribs, it's easy: 3-2-1, 3 in the smoker, 2 in the oven wrapped in foil with 1/2 of a little bottle of apple juice poured over, then 1 unwrapped with BBQ sauce on it, usually Famous Dave's Sweet & Sassy

for butts & brisket, figure out the total time based on 1.5 hours x weight in pounds, then it's 3 hours in the smoker, then it's wrapped in foil, (butts get a full little bottle of apple juice) and time in the oven depends on the weight (1.5 x lbs - 4) and the last hour is in the oven, unwrapped

used to use McCormick's Grill Mates pork rub, in the short, squat jar, but they've apparently stopped making it.
try some "Slap Ya Mama" rub

I didn't want to go overboard to start out and bought this one last year. Don't think I'll upgrade anytime soon, it does everything i need it to with the small upgrade I incorporated. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbuilt-Pro-Charcoal-and-Propane-Dual-Fuel-Smoker-20050412/202904343

Sealed the smoker with this, temperature is very manageable, even on cold windy days. https://www.amazon.com/LavaLock-Per...=lavalock+12&qid=1560174912&s=software&sr=8-1

Bought this skillet and set it on top of wood box with wood in it, no flaming wood.
https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Skille...32&s=gateway&sprefix=lodge+l5s,aps,139&sr=8-3

I would certainly try it, but the BigHair won't do Cajun anything

yet every year our vacation picks include NOLA. SMH
tell her she needs to go outside her comfort zone sometimes.
SYM is as hot as you want it. Believe me , I dont like a lot of heat on my food and as I get older , neither does my stomach. Applied lightly it has a lot of flavor , its when you put it on liberally is when it gets on the heat.
and SYM is good with a nice hoppy/citrusy homebrew !!

Back