Mashmaster Mill Review - Unboxing and First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zepth

Reaction score
This is going to be long. I'm going to try and prevent that, then fail. Sorry about that.

My old mill died. Ended up saving the last brewday by double crushing - and ending up with massacred malt as a result. But I brewed! Enough is enough. I had taken a break from brewing and forgot how bad things were getting. Hopping back into the swing of things with infuriating equipment. Fantastic. I lost faith in "friction driven" secondary and/or tertiary rollers.

The Australian made Millmaster grain mill. Hardened stainless rollers. Fluted rollers instead of knurled. Gear driven secondary roller. This is some exciting kit. I also can't find it this side of the ocean. $340 CAD or $250 USD including shipping and import taxes. Looking at some of the premium branded 3 roller mills, they're even more expensive. Even a "decked out" 2 roller mill is in the same price range. Let's do this.

Screenshot from 2018-12-15 17:34:32.png
That's some quality packing they have there. Mill arrived in perfect shape, just a touch of damage to the cardboard box where the axle poked it a bit. I didn't buy this for the cardboard. The tiny pin on the left is the key. When this gets a permanent motor and gear reducer the keyway is going to transmit power to the mill. Set screws need not apply. As far as mounting screws go none were included. It also would have been nice to get some documentation with it, or even stamp the metal with screw size required. 1/4-20 just in case you were wondering.
Screenshot from 2018-12-15 17:40:42.png Mill Design.png
Friction driven rollers begone! You may notice from the first image they've included a guard to prevent your grain from falling into the gears. There's the fluting up close and personal. Always a void between the portion of rollers. The adjustment will allow the closer portions of the roller to get closer than I'd ever like them to.
Screenshot from 2018-12-15 17:43:38.png
Once again, I like what I see. Huge easy to grip adjustment knob with many well marked lines. No screwdriver required for gap adjustments. Not that I did so previously. Maybe now I will. Anti-slip shape on the shaft for a drill to grip. Current gap is wide enough for the non-embossed portion of a credit card to fit, but the embossed portion to bind. Seems like a good starting point.
Screenshot from 2018-12-15 17:50:02.png
This image does not do it justice. It is probably triple the weight. Heavy=quality right? Mounted it up to the old bucket top plate with some modifications of course, and re-used the old hopper. Needed some custom fabricated brackets, but that's the way it goes when you don't buy the hopper kit. If anyone wants to donate one for review, I'll be happy to. This thing crushed through a full hopper like I never imagined a 12V drill could. 3 KG (6.6LB) in 1:30 - impressive. Set to 350RPM on low speed, it's right in the 110-500 range the manufacturer recommends. With a load I'm assuming that speed dropped a bit.
Screenshot from 2018-12-15 17:53:26.png
At first this looked a little coarse to me. I did check it before the whole grist was milled, then decided to rock on with it as it. In acknowledgement of scientific process existing, try to reduce variables. Did a bit of research on how a crush should look, having been out of the game for a while. Still looked coarse. That little guy in the bottom right corner should be paid attention to. Looked untouched from the other side but when turning it around the husk is open and the meat is cracked. Good enough for day 1.

Mashing in I could tell there was a lot less dust than I had gotten used to. Particularly from that double crush salvage day - the day most recent and best remembered. Stirred like a dream. After 75 minutes, it's time to drain. Go with a quick vorlauf and get about 10 pieces of cracked grain. Then as clear wort as a stout grist could give me. This bodes well for a quick non-stuck sparge. That tun drained faster than I'd ever drained before. Almost as though there was no grain bed at all. Perhaps my extract rate suffered. Batch sparge and it drained like a regular 10g cooler would without 8KG (17.6? lbs) of grain in the bottom.

Turns out that the efficiency according to my software was 75% and coming in at OG 1.042. Not sure if that's the pre or post boil efficiency, but the same software would usually give 80-85 on a similar grist bill. Based on how the crush looked a bit coarse, the tun draining in record time, and the slightly lower than expected extract I'll be tightening the gap a little for future brews.

I hope this wasn't too long winded. So far I have no problems with it, and it seems to be the real deal that I hoped it would be. Time will tell. It is strictly the fact that I have only used this once that I feel unqualified to recommend this product. I'll be following up with any problems I encounter or revelations, and certainly after that next batch. Feel free to ask any questions about the mill here.

Nice write up.

Your lower efficiency was almost surely due to a coarser crush. Large grits take longer to completely gelatinize than do small grits, and gelatinization must occur before conversion can occur.

Run off rate has no effect on lauter efficiency when batch, or no-, sparging, unlike when fly sparging. A freely draining grain bed might actually reduce the grain absorption rate slightly, which would result in a small increase in lauter efficiency.

There was a thread a while back about a mill with helical fluted rollers, and that brewer also had an efficiency drop with that mill. Some analysis showed that with the depth of the valleys in the flutes, some very large grits could occur. I suspect the same is true with your mill. To compensate, you will need to adjust the gap significantly finer (to the point that it scares you.) Get some feeler gauges (auto or hardware store) and drop the gap 0.010" on successive brews. Keep dropping the gap until you are happy with the results. If you go past the optimal grit size, then back off 0.005" for the next brew.

Finally, pre-boil (mash) efficiency and post-boil efficiency are the same, unless you add sugar during the boil, or spill a lot of wort. Boiling off water does not have any effect on efficiency. This is because efficiency is a measure of how much of the potential sugar you were able to collect. Doesn't matter how much water is along for the ride with the sugar. (The amount of water does matter for SG, just not for efficiency.)

Brew on :mug:

Noticed that void before the purchase. Seems like insurance against setting the gap too fine with that design. That said I did decide to keep the setting based on first results, and the final extraction wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

I have been thinking about that tun draining. "Batch sparge" around here has come to mean "toss in more water, give it a quick stir and open the floodgates." Cutting corners to save a few minutes. I had come to rely on the density of the bed to be the sole thing to reduce drain speed. That was a major change.

Will certainly be doing things differently next time. Smaller gap and some form of improvement to the sparge, be it a 15 minute interval between water addition and draining, or the "small pot of water on a saucer" fly method.

Latest posts

Back