Mash Tun with direct flame

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XXXBrewDude

Reaction score
OK, I've been using the foil bubble wrap for years and have caught fire a few times. I'm done with it. I rewrapped and used flashing to keep the direct flame off but it didn't work either . It just forced the heat behind the wrap and made it worse . I'm using a sanky for the mash tun. I'm now going to try pink insulation which won't burn for sure, wrap that in very heaving aluminum foil and secure with foil tape. Hope that works? Any suggestions out there?? The turkey fryer keeps torching the insulation when heating for mash out . Open for suggestions ???

I re-wrapped the tun. This time I used the pink insulation that cant burn, the outside is all taped with the aluminum foil tape for duct work. And I kept the lower edge about 5 inch from the bottom to get away from the flame. Ill give it a try tonight but Im pretty certain this will work.

Piece together a large diameter hose clamp to keep your tape from bending up and venting heat.

Good luck.

I was pondering the same idea but wasn't sure where to find a hose clamp of that size? probably pretty pricey too?

Back