Mash Tun Upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Arandir

Reaction score
I've been homebrewing with ye olde mash tun cooler for a long time, and my wife finally said it's time to upgrade.

I brew 10-15 gal batches, with my mash tun maxing at 30 lbs of grain. I do frequent decoction and step mashes, so the ability to direct heat the mash tun is good. I brew on propane outdoors.

What are you all using? Here are some things I've seen:

* SS Brewtech Infussion Mash Tun - A stainless version of a cooler with some nice accessories.
* Spike Mash Tun - Basically a kettle with extra valves. No insulation, but can direct fire
* Similar from BrewBuilt and other manufacturers
* Metal BIAB design like this from Spike
* HERMS/RIMS type system
* 3 Vessel brewhouse

If you want to keep using a separate mash tun, rather than BIAB, I really recommend a RIMS system. I can step mash and hold whatever temp I want. But, you may want to go BIAB. I have not brewed this way, yet, but many have here and done it very well.

I've been homebrewing with ye olde mash tun cooler for a long time, and my wife finally said it's time to upgrade.

I brew 10-15 gal batches, with my mash tun maxing at 30 lbs of grain. I do frequent decoction and step mashes, so the ability to direct heat the mash tun is good. I brew on propane outdoors.

What are you all using? Here are some things I've seen:

* SS Brewtech Infussion Mash Tun - A stainless version of a cooler with some nice accessories.
* Spike Mash Tun - Basically a kettle with extra valves. No insulation, but can direct fire
* Similar from BrewBuilt and other manufacturers
* Metal BIAB design like this from Spike
* HERMS/RIMS type system
* 3 Vessel brewhouse
I use both electric RIMS (maintain temp) and propane direct heat (step mash) on a 15G Spike w/ TC fittings. I can manage 10G batches provided I don't want too high an OG. For 15G, or higher gravity, you would obviously need something larger. I had Spike add a second port at the top of the MT, which provides flexibility. I've used the extra port for N2 purging and may one day use it for fly sparging.

Not cheaper, just better 😉
I just bought a Spike CF15 so I know exactly what you're talking about. That's why I'm looking at Spike for the next upgrade.

69310128660__874CC06E-3F5A-42A8-A266-7C1972CD21EF.jpg

I built my system before there were many BIAB all in one systems and I really liked the 2 Vessel Kettle Rims system so I wouldn't have to worry about water level in a rims tube and I could use the full brewing liquor. I recently upgraded my false bottom from the 12" domed one you'd use in a HD cooler to a customer build Jaybird. I have another one of his false bottoms in a keggle in a similiar system and it works so well.

Latest posts

Back