Mash tun build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMe82

Reaction score
So im in the end stages of constructing my first mash tun. I used all 1/2 cpvc and it will have a brass hose adapter on the out side. I will seal/ glue the pass through with silicone. I hope it will be strong enough, but I think ill be fine. Im wondering if I should shorten the center cross pipes to bring the tubing more toward canter, to get a more even drain off. Any opinions would help. Tnx.

After I get all of this done, Ill probably use the extra cpvc to create something of a fly sparging thing on the lid.

IMAG0083.jpg

I would do one more if not 2 long runs, dont slit the short ones cause it could cause counter flow/channeling...i didnt think a counter flow was possible but it does slow it down if the short/width pvc is cut...i did try them both and ya get more efficiency if ya leave the short ones solid, dont cut...

I suppose ya could do it either way, have some more shorts ones...just keep all the holes/slits going the same direction to avoid a counter flow/channeling within the elbows..try it out both ways, stuff is cheap enough.

Not sure what size cooler you are using, but here is a picture of my 52 quart Xtreme from Coleman that I built a maniifold for.

I used a pipe cutter to trim my stock and it was ridiculously easy to get perfect cuts to length. I still have to drill my drain holes, but it fits wonderfully.

If you are going to fly sparge, you should try to leave some space along your cooler edges. I used the drain gutter as a space guide for my build. I also second what the other poster said, you should add some extra runs. CVPC is cheap, and if you use a pipe cutter, you can redesign and build your mainfold in a couple hours.

Good Luck!!!

Awesome! Tnx for the input guys, ill take some time and put in two short runs, And probably follow the tip on not porting the small tubes by the exit.

I digg the copper, its sexy, but I like the idea of being able to disassemble the cpvc once in a while. However, ill build my manifold to resemble the one in your photos. tnx.

actually I can take mine apart for that very reason. I only sweated the two long sides, I can take apart the the "out take" and I can fully remove all the smaller runs. Sweating the pieces together is this fashion makes it harder for the manifold to come apart when stirring, or so I've been told. I used copper just for personal preference of not trying to use PVC (nothing wring with it), AND I learned how to sweat copper from the project which has payed off when I made my CFC and the dip tubes for my kettles.
E-mursed's manifold is pretty wicked, too.

90 % complete. I couldn't find a decent pass through, like a male male piece. So I used a male to female adapter that passes through fine, but has smooth sides. So I secured it with a generous amount of silicone sealant, I also fashioned a bit of a flange on the inside with excess sealant. Ill test it as soon as I get a chance.

IMAG0085.jpg

BeerMe82 said:
Its cool, I only show it upright to display what I have for forum purposes. tnx though.

Understood. I did the Same thing when I built mine. Lol

Very nice copper manifold. I would not use CPVC or PVC after learning about the chemicals that leach out at high temps under acidic conditions, but that's up to each person. I will not drink beer made with those materials.
One of my friends had his plastic manifold come apart during mashing. It was a complete mess.

Very nice copper manifold. I would not use CPVC or PVC after learning about the chemicals that leach out at high temps under acidic conditions, but that's up to each person. I will not drink beer made with those materials.
One of my friends had his plastic manifold come apart during mashing. It was a complete mess.

Isn't the mash tun made of ... plastic :confused: Hopefully of HDPE without BPA ;)

Cpvc is fine If you boiling water through it for while first. The leaching ability is dramatically reduced after initial use according to what I've read. Although there are conflicting research available.

Meh, after I soak my beer in plastic, ill boil it in aluminum, then let it ferment in more plastic.
Nothing wrong with aluminum, or food grade HDPE. I know all the manufacturers insist there is no problem with CPVC as a direct replacement for copper pipe in residential applications, and that is probably true.
However, the industry has no information on what happens when you soak it for an hour or more in a 5.2 pH solution, so just keep that in mind.

Back