mash time vs temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBCBrewmaster

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know if a lower temp converts more quickly than a higher temp? I make a beer using 2 mashes. one at 145 and one at 158 But I don't know which one I should start frst or let rest the longest because I can only sparge one mash at a time.

Thanks.

The beer you are mashing at 145F is focussing on the beta amylase phase and generally requires more time. However this is also dependent upon pH of the mash and the ratio of grains to water. The higher mash is focussing on the alpha amylase activity and generally requires less time with the same variables as the other mash.

...If it were me, although I'm not sure of the need to blend these two mashes, I'd rest the 145F for 90 minutes and the 158F for about 40. I'd do a starch test to be sure though. Have you considered just compromising with one mash at 153F? This temperature is a popular single infusion mash choice as it is a compromise between beta and alpha amylase ranges.

Thanks! What I'm trying to do is create a beer with a fuller body and a higher alcohol. I figure if I make one mash with less fermentable sugars and one mash with highly fermentable sugars I ought to be able to achieve this goal. but I don't want to wast my day aweay waiting for something to happen that has already happened 20 minutes ago nor do I want to jump the gun and cut of my conversion before all the magic has happened. I'll heed your advice and hope for the best.

Dave

Latest posts

Back