Marris otter recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarter

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 55 lb sack of marris otter from my friends at Lazy Magnolia brewing company in Kiln Ms. Does anyone have a good brown ale recipe that I can try with my new find? Thanks in advance!

Thanks brewpilot, I was thinking of maybe lighter crystal (30-37 L) or a caramel malt at maybe .5 lbs or 1 lb for a try. I like the fuggles followed by cascade for aroma
, what do you think?

Sounds great, and Id probably use some nottingham... maybe throw in some vienna for some maltyness as well?? .5lbs light crystal and .5 vienna or munich...

This sounds good:

7 lbs marris otter
.5 lbs 30 L caramel
.5 lbs vienna

fuggles 60 min
cascade 2 min

mmmm I can hardly wait

I use it alot in place of standard 2-row. Supposedly it's extremely close to Golden Promise, which is hard to come by. Sub for 2-row in any recipe that looks good. The slightly nutty flavor goes well with English hops IMO. I like to toast .25lb of it for hoppy american ales.

How about an American Brown:
9lb Maris Otter
1lb 120L Crystal
.5lb Honey malt
.25lb Chocolate malt

1oz Northern Brewer @60 min
2oz Cascade @5 min
1oz Cascade Dry-Hopped

Cal Ale yeast (1056/WLP001)

Captwilliard, what would you think the og be on that recipe?

Yeah, i figured mine at around 1050 but capt williard might shave a little something more. :) Maybe around 1060 1065 or so?

dcarter said:

Home of the one and only

23g.jpg

Not to kill the thread.....so, you can really brew ANYTHING with Marris Otter. It is just a version of 2 row pale. It makes great English beers.

The brewery is right around the corner from the home of the legendary Southern Miss quarterback Brett Favre. I think he went on to do something else also but it escapes me at the moment. Lazy Magnolia on the other hand is Mississippis first and only legal brewery which makes the world reknown southern pecan brown ale. Winner of a bronze medal at the world beer cup.

Where did you get your Maris... locally or mail order? That is something Id have 50# of for sure... that and some Weyermans wheat... mmmmmmmm

Oh, if SWMBO did not reguate my spending, I could get so crazy with this "hobby". This week is a first, one brew in the primary, one just bottled... I have so much beer, but I want more!!!!!

Brewpilot

Brewpilot, whats in the primary and what went into bottles?

Back