Mark Knopfler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
fYES.

I LOVE Mark Knopfler, almost as much as Eddie Vedder.

He's touring this year, Europe and the US. The closest to me in the fall is Milwaukee. The expensive tickets went on presale today, but the 'medium' priced tickets go on presale tomorrow. I am going to be there, even if not in 'rows A-Q'. :D

He's on my bucket list. Joe Cocker was one, also, but um, well..........never did see Joe Cocker.

Anyway, who else loves Mark Knopfler? Who else is bucket-list worthy?

Really super legit guitarist. I decided at age 40 to learn how to play guitar - I could live to 140 and not catch up with him. Plus he loves Stratocasters.

I saw him at Red Rocks about 5 or 6 years ago. Day of the show I decided to go. Somehow scored a front row ticket. God smiled on me as they released a bunch of tickets right as I logged into Ticket bastard. It was an amazing show.

Smcinco,

I've played guitar for quite some time and I agree with you. The solos and fills are fairly simple but hot damn are they gorgeous. I love how the fills feel like rebuttals to Mark's singing.

I have him on my list as the 3rd greatest guitar player in the world, behind only Steve Morse & Les Paul but he ends up at #18 on the aggregate list

he's one of those players, like Jeff Beck, who just make it look oh so frikken easy, sometimes when I watch him, I just want to put down the guitar forever, because I could never be that good

I saw him back in 91, I was 6 at the time. My dad always tells the story that it was the first time I got stoned, he had me on his shoulders and went up the front where there was a fair number of people smoking the naughty cigarettes, and I didn't stop laughing for the next 3 hours....

Anyway, gotta say I still love the music today.

Chet Atkins called Mark Knopfler "the best guitar player", while Mark Knopfler says that Chet Atkins is "his biggest influence".

A mutual admiration society, and they play together. How cool is that?!!

Incidentally, I play guitar badly but love it. And I sing badly- but I love that too. Listening to one of the world's best guitarists/songwriter/singer is humbling for sure!

I adored much of the dire straits sound minus money for nothing and a few others. Never did explore the mk experience beyond dire straits.

I adored much of the dire straits sound minus money for nothing and a few others. Never did explore the mk experience beyond dire straits.

While Dire Straits was a fun pop/rock-ish band with MK and his brother, his work since then has bordered on brilliant. One of my favorite albums is blocked on Spotify/Youtube/Pandora/etc due to a record company dispute- but there are lots others, and you'd find something you love, I guarantee it.

While Dire Straits was a fun pop/rock-ish band with MK and his brother, his work since then has bordered on brilliant. One of my favorite albums is blocked on Spotify/Youtube/Pandora/etc due to a record company dispute- but there are lots others, and you'd find something you love, I guarantee it.

Gimme a list, ill check them out. Lots available on youtube but much of what ive seen is live and poor quality phonecam recordings. Its been a while since ive looked.

Gimme a list, ill check them out. Lots available on youtube but much of what ive seen is live and poor quality phonecam recordings. Its been a while since ive looked.

Sure! I have youtube playing Eddie Vedder now, but I just finished Mark Knopfler's 2013 'live in Albert Hall' before that. If I go back to that to grab the link, I'll 'lose' my Eddie Vedder DVD and we can't have that! So I'll do that in the AM, or you can look for yourself.

Also, the work he did with Chet Atkins is fantastic- and if you like a country-ish but not country sound, the album he did over 10 years with EmmyLou Harris is fantastic. "All the Roadrunning" is really good.

My favorite is the record company blocked album "Privateering". I have the CDs, but found it online before the dispute and then buying it.

I like Mark Knopfler, seems like a real nice guy too. Would definitely try to catch him if he came to Aus.

My bucket-list has Fleetwood Mac at the top, especially now they are ALL back together.

Sure! I have youtube playing Eddie Vedder now, but I just finished Mark Knopfler's 2013 'live in Albert Hall' before that. If I go back to that to grab the link, I'll 'lose' my Eddie Vedder DVD and we can't have that! So I'll do that in the AM, or you can look for yourself.

Also, the work he did with Chet Atkins is fantastic- and if you like a country-ish but not country sound, the album he did over 10 years with EmmyLou Harris is fantastic. "All the Roadrunning" is really good.

My favorite is the record company blocked album "Privateering". I have the CDs, but found it online before the dispute and then buying it.

I can search them out. Was just looking for some suggestionz on what to search for. Thanks.

Sultans made me want to pick up a guitar along with srv and 15 yrs later I'm still trying to figure out what their doing. They make it look so easy and that just shows how much God giffted talent they had.

Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits was on my list - to the point where if I could see him/them I would be fine if I never saw another concert (and I've seen quite a few)!

I saw him at Red Rocks ~8 years ago, and it was THE best show I've seen. My wife still says it was the best she's seen, and she has been a fan of his since. She told me just this morning that he's coming to Chicago in October and wants to go. How cool is that?!?!?

As far as bands/musicians to see on my bucket list, There are a few. Think I'll start off with Roy Rogers. BTW, that's the late Ray Manzarek of The Doors fame on bass. I would've liked to see Roy with the late Norton Buffalo (harmonica).

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a2e7aB0t8I[/ame]

Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood together.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umuDA5spwXg[/ame]

I'll leave it there for now.
Regards, GF.

I like Mark Knopfler, seems like a real nice guy too. Would definitely try to catch him if he came to Aus.

My bucket-list has Fleetwood Mac at the top, especially now they are ALL back together.

There were on my list too, and we saw them in about 2000 or 2001. But Christine McVie was not there, of course.

Clapton has been on my list forever, but he never tours. Although, I suppose he still goes to his own Crossroads Festival if there is one? (or not).

Also, someone I'd love to see in person is Warren Haynes. LOVE his guitar sound and his soul.

Love Knopfler, Dire Straits too. I still remember the first time I heard them on the radio, and the first time I heard the Making Movies album. I've seen Knopfler twice, once with Clapton. Amazing.

Listening to my Knopfler/Vedder/REM/Colin Hay Pandora station now as a matter of fact. His work with Emmylou Harris is excellent.

His Dire Straits stuff (the most popular anyway) has become a little moldy for me, but some of the lesser known DS and his solo work is really good stuff.

On a side note, if you have not checked out Colin Hay's solo work (he was the singer for Men at Work) do yourself a favor and give it a listen.

Clapton has been on my list forever, but he never tours. Although, I suppose he still goes to his own Crossroads Festival if there is one? (or not).

Also, someone I'd love to see in person is Warren Haynes. LOVE his guitar sound and his soul.

Saw Gov't Mule last year and Warren Haynes is mighty good. If you love good guitar, especially slide, you've got to see Derek Trucks. He makes a guitar sing like nobody else. Might even trump Clapton. It doesn't hurt that Susan Tedeschi is beside him with her amazing voice. They've been with Clapton several times on the Festival.
Now I'm trying to figure out a way to see Knopfler. He also makes a guitar sing like an angel. Looks like Atlanta is the closest - maybe he'll add some dates in the Florida swing closer to me.

LOL - my kids and I run a part time traveling coffee and espresso business -- we often go to music festivals and many times I can only hear rather than see the artists, but in the past 4 years we have seen (or heard) the Allman's, Gov't Mule, Tedeschi Trucks, Hot Tuna, Ivan Neville, Leftover Salmon, Lettuce, Umphree's McGee, the Traveling McCourys, the Del McCoury Band, the Disco Biscuits, Further, the String Cheese Incident. Railroad Earth, Trampled By Turtles, Jaimoes Jazz Band, Bela Fleck ... too many to name

@Yooper - do you by any chance get an MTV channel called Paladia?? They often run full hours of the Crossroads Festival

Surprised you haven't caught Warren - dude's a road warrior. Seems like the Mule is perpetually coming to town. Anyway, they're touring with John Scofield in February/March. Talk about some serious guitar playing. You might check those dates/tour stops on their site. It'll be a good show for sure.

Cheers.

Also, Knopfler is a bada$$.

@Yooper - do you by any chance get an MTV channel called Paladia?? They often run full hours of the Crossroads Festival

Love Paladia! Spent countless nights getting wasted on Southern Tier IPA's, just slamming the music from those festivals and people watching. It is honestly the only thing I really turn the tv on for.

I don't know much about Knofler. The stuff I've heard for the most part is not my go-to sound. I LOVE money for nothing guitar. The song is ok. The best part is when Weird Al asked if he could do a parody, Mark said yes, but ONLY if HE got to play guitar on it! So Weird Al's version is actually Mark on Guitar!

The Sultans of Swing is a great tune. I air guitar that every time. The actual guitar playing is not that hard, but playing it WELL takes some practice. I should hit that up again and try to learn it.

Based on the recommendations in this thread I think I'll try and hit up his music online and play it while working. I think it will be appropriate for the workplace.

Another interest of mine is vintage audio equipment. I hang out on the AudioKarma forum where Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits is a favorite there not just for the outstanding music, but also for the excellent quality that goes into the recording, engineering and mastering.

If you are into vinyl or have a system of doing a good job of playing Cd's or FLAC files I highly recommend you sit down and take the time to do some focused listening. It can be a transformative experience.

Latest posts

Back