Maris vs 2 row Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surgicalbrews

Reaction score
So I have made what I think is an amazing IIPA. It is hoppy but not overly bitter, has good mouthfeel but not to thick, and just a touch of sweetness and more on the dry side really letting the hop flavor and aroma shine. I have only made this using 2 row and am thinking about using maris instead. Any thoughts??

2-Row Malt: 14 lbs
Munich: 3 lbs
Crystal 60: 0.5 lbs

Nugget 0.5 @ 60
Simcoe and Columbus 1.6 of each continously hopped from 20-flameout
Simcoe and Columbus 1 of each dry hop 7 days

mash @ 150

White Labs California Ale WLP-001

turned out to be 8.7%. I initially made this recipe for a lower efficiency and so matched the 66 IBU's to the projected 65 point OG, I overshot my efficiency and turned out with OG of 81 points. I am going to repeat this recipe because I love this beer, and everyone who has tried it also loves it.

If you are making an American IPA then I'd use 2 Row. If doing an English style then Marris Otter "might" be better. It will be different. Same w/your choice of hops and yeast. I do a "German" IPA using Munich, Magnum and K-97 dry yeast.

I would try a 50/50 blend of 2-row and MO first. I had a similar thought to you on an IPA with a similar grain bill and used MO in place of the 2-row. It's a little unbalanced towards the malty side right now. It's good, but next time I think I'll back off on the MO.

Im brewing tomorrow and I decided on a 50/50 split, also one less pound of Munich, and one full pound of Crystal 40. Also omitting 60 minute nugget addition and doing 2oz of each simcoe and columbus continuously added from 20-flameout, as well 1.5 oz of each during the dry hop. Little more malt, little more bready, little sweetness, little more hops, and hopefully that much more better!

Im brewing tomorrow and I decided on a 50/50 split, also one less pound of Munich, and one full pound of Crystal 40. Also omitting 60 minute nugget addition and doing 2oz of each simcoe and columbus continuously added from 20-flameout, as well 1.5 oz of each during the dry hop. Little more malt, little more bready, little sweetness, little more hops, and hopefully that much more better!

Excellent call. The Maris / 2-row 50/50 split grain bill is one of my favorites for American IPA. I'm not a Munich guy, but if that's your thing it'll be awesome. Strongly consider throwing another ounce each of simcoe and columbus in after you kill the heat and let it steep for 20-30 min before chilling, stirring occasionally. It'll bring the goodness. Sounds like a great beer. Enjoy man.

Back