Marijuana beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just done up a pilsner. From what I've seen it's as simple as chopping up and adding it in. I was thinking about doing it after 3-4 days. Any help would be appreciated.

Discussing MJ as an ingredient in beer is allowed in this forum. However, as you proceed, please heed these words by Der Administrator, TxBrew:

You cannot post pics or info on the follwing things.

Growing
Selling
Smoking
Trimming
Curing
Paraphernalia
Tinctures

Really anything having to do with marijuana.

What you can do:

Include it as an ingredient in your recipe, and post the directions for use. You cannot say "Add Hops, then smoke a joint" so please don't try it.

I'm really pushing the legal acceptability of it, so I ask you guys respect my outline so we may continue to discuss it.

Oops, just described a tincture. Sorry.

As was said above, it's not that easy. Continue research.

I see what you did there:)

Not what I meant to do, but I guess I accomplished it. I feel sheepish.

I actually described it without realizing it, posted it, then looked at the TxBrew quote and deleted what I wrote.

To be fair, unless you leave hops in the bottle, technically beer is a hop tincture, right? It's kind impossible not to make a tincture? Unless I don't know what a tincture is...

From what I understand, "dry weeding" wont do anything but maybe add some flavor. Heat is needed to change the compounds to achieve the (what I assume is) desired effect. Perhaps as a flamout addition. Or perhaps add it as a tea if not added during the boil. As far as I know a salad will just fill you up, whereas a baked brownie will f you up.

Did I stay within the guidelines?

The compounds one may be looking to include in the beer are not water soluble, so adding bits of MJ like a dry hop won't extract those compounds. Water is a polar solvent. Check out non-polar solvents and you may come up with more ideas.

The compounds are alcohol soluble, although heat is required to bind. Bourbon tincture prepared with some heat and added to secondary of a stout, for example.

On another "green friendly" forum I frequent, we talked about this and one of the member swears he's done it with success.

I can't vouch for this because I've never done it myself. It's not my fault if you use 3/4 oz of weed and it doesn't work at all.

If this method does work, then your beer recipe shouldn't matter much but I would imagine you would want something very hop forward to compliment the flavor of the marijuana additions. (IPA's, pale ales, etc..)

This is for a 5 gallon batch.

He uses approx 3/4 oz of quality weed, adding 1/2 (3/8 oz) like a 15 min. hop addition.

The other half was ground real fine and mixed with a small amount of water (enough to submerge the weed) and approx 1/16 of meta-bisulphate. Let it sit for an hour (at least) then discard the liquid. Add as you would a dry hop addition. Leave it in there for at least 10 days. Tada!!

Because of the variations in potency from one bud to another, be very careful with dosages. Remember that ingesting marijuana is WAY different than smoking. You can always have more, but you can never have less. Do your homework and use your brain.

If this goes outside the rules I apologize.

Back