Maple syrup season= free RO water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirkwooder

Emperor of all things nobody cares about
Reaction score
I thought it might be worth a mention to all those who don't know, but here in the north east part of the US, we are in the heart of maple sugar/syrup season. Maple syrup is produced by concentrating the sap of sugar maple trees into the finished product. This was originally done by boiling the sap over a heat source until the desired consistency was achieved. This process requires an immense amount of energy to get to the end product. Many maple producers have gone to running the sap through a RO filter to concentrate the sap before boiling. A waste product of this process is pure RO water.

Any time the words "waste product" are applied to something I could use, opens up an opportunity. I have asked one local producer if I could have some of his waste water and he was more than happy to oblige me. Free. He filled two brew buckets for me and asked if I wanted more. I'll be brewing my first adjusted RO water beer this weekend.

It's worth stopping in and seeing these guys if you would like to save a few bucks on your next brew.

That's cool and a good idea.The wife and I did almost a month long vacation driving from California to Vermont then down to Delaware and back . While in Vermont we did a maple syrup tour . Now I know why 100% maple syrup is pricey . A lot of work for the amount they get. It was delicious.

Back