RO Waste Water Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natmartin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to another HBT member, I now own an RO system, which I'm starting to work on setting up in my brewery.

Since I'm in drought-ridden California, I try to stay conscious of how much water I'm using while brewing. I'm setting up a 60 gallon rain-water collection barrel outside of my brewery, that I plan to use to capture water from my chiller, and re-use it for cleaning equipment, watering plants, etc.

Since the RO system produces waste water too, I was wondering if I can use the same barrel to capture the waste output for later re-use. However, I haven't been able to find through any searching online what the water pressure is at the waste output of the system.

Will it have enough pressure to run the waste water outside, through a hose, and up to the top of a barrel? Or is the only way to capture the waste water to put some sort of container directly below the system?

Fantastic! I’m working on an order from you guys for a few things to complete and add on to the system.

Since I have you here: I have chloramines in my water. Do I replace the carbon filter in my stem with a chloragard filter that you sell, or do I add the chloragard on with an additional housing?

Fantastic! I’m working on an order from you guys for a few things to complete and add on to the system.

Since I have you here: I have chloramines in my water. Do I replace the carbon filter in my stem with a chloragard filter that you sell, or do I add the chloragard on with an additional housing?
With Chloramines it's prudent to have two carbon blocks. I'd go with:
1 mic sediment->Chloraguard->chlorine grabber. You can find this combo as a filter kit here: Premium RO Filter Kit - Buckeye Hydro

OR
1 mic sediment->Chloraguard->Chloraguard

If your system only has a spot for 1 carbon block, then get an add on housing kit. Put it "in front (ahead) of your system. Move your sediment filter to the new housing.

With Chloramines it's prudent to have two carbon blocks. I'd go with:
1 mic sediment->Chloraguard->chlorine grabber. You can find this combo as a filter kit here: Premium RO Filter Kit - Buckeye Hydro

OR
1 mic sediment->Chloraguard->Chloraguard

If your system only has a spot for 1 carbon block, then get an add on housing kit. Put it "in front (ahead) of your system. Move your sediment filter to the new housing.
What would the reason be to use the chloraguard + chlorine, vs the double chloraguard?

Using two Chloraguards is a bit more expensive, but it is the best in terms of treating the chloramine.

Chloraguard+ Chlorine Grabber is a bit less expensive, and still very good.

Latest posts

Back