Maple Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arog3000

Reaction score
I am trying to make a maple porter. I have tried three times. The first time I added the maple syrup at the end of the boil. The yeast ate all of the maple syrup and I was left with a really nice tasting porter but lost any maple flavor. The second and third time I tried adding 1 oz. of maple extract to the porter after four days of fermentation right in the primary. I didn't really like either of these two as the flavor seemed off but you could definitely taste the maple. I think the extract is just not as good as real maple syrup. I am nervous about adding maple syrup into a secondary as it will just get eaten again and start a second round of fermentation but this is what I was thinking. Anyone have advise about making a maple beer? :tank:

I've never made maple beer, but I suppose you could try to prime with it. Or if you keg (something else I don't do) you could toss some campden tabs at it to kill the yeast, add maple syrup, then keg and force carbonate. Either of those might work.
Also are you using grade B? it has more maple flavors than A.
I believe the herb fenugreek is used to flavor maple flavored things, that might help too. I've also heard of guys replacing the water with maple sap, but it's the wrong time of year for that, at least in new England.

Back