Maple Chipotle Ale .. advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcycaulkins

Reaction score
I'm starting my maple chipotle ale - all grain - tonight. It was originally going to be an attempt to clone rogue chipotle ale (which I realize is not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it), then I decided to go all Vermonty on it and add maple syrup.

I'm thinking I'll start with a lowish gravity ale:
7lbs maris otter
.5 lb crystal (I think it is 40L)
mashed at 150

should give me about 1.042 starting gravity at 80% efficiency (and I usually do better than that)

hops... cascade (or was it cluster?), around 7% AA... don't want it too bitter, so thinking .75 oz in boil 60 min, .25 in boil 5 min...

ferment with white labs east coast yeast, then add maple syrup to secondary

Here's my dilemma. I'm debating going with the whole quart of maple syrup, so my question is this... would that balance out OK with my amount of malt? I don't want to do a super high gravity beer here, and I would like to taste the maple, but I also want to avoid that winey taste you can get with too many simple sugars..

any thoughts? does this sound balanced to you all, or should I scale back the syrup, up the malt, etc, etc?

oh, and as for the chipotle, I'm planning on adding that to the tertiatary fermentor... I'll rough-chop them, then dry roast them in a pan for a couple minutes, and in they'll go. Haven't decided on an amount yet, so I guess if anyone has an opinion on that, I'd appreciate it as well.

Back