Mandarina Bavaria saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigplunkett

Reaction score
So long story short, i work two jobs and dont have enough brew time ive been really wanting to do a Mandarina Bavaria single hop all german ipa. Bit summer is getting near and i really want a saison maby i can get both in one beer well sort of.
6# pilz
3# vienna
1# wheat
1# candi sugar
Mash 149 90min boil
Light bitter charge at 60 1 oz tettnang
15min irish moss & kdap
10min 1 oz Mandarina Bavaria
0min 1ozMandarina Bavaria
Wyeast 3711
Possible dry hop 1 to 2 ozs

Any thoughts or criticism are welcomed. Ive mever used this hop but ive had it and like it and ive never used 3711.

Why the low mash temperature? By the looks of it, that beer will have a very light body. I would raise the mash temperature and a little more base malt. Take out that sugar as well. Maybe add a little cara-pils.

Why the low mash temperature? By the looks of it, that beer will have a very light body. I would raise the mash temperature and a little more base malt. Take out that sugar as well. Maybe add a little cara-pils.

You do understand the concept of a saison, right?

Any thoughts or criticism are welcomed. Ive mever used this hop but ive had it and like it and ive never used 3711.

The grain bill and mash look spot on for a nice dry saison. I am not sure that I would use the 10 min addition. I just did an IPA with MB hops, at flame-out and dry hop (1 oz at each), and the orange aroma was very nice. I would suggest that for the saison as well.

Sounds like a French/German IPA. Looks like you're getting the best of both words in what you're looking for. Looks great. I just did an IPA with MB hops which is fermenting now. I have been told those hops are subtle. So I added a pound of them for a hop stand at 170*. Since its so young I don't know how that addition has effected the taste yet.
However, if you want to get more into the IPA range, and if you have them handy, up the hops. As mentioned, you could drop the 10 min addition down to 5, and/or use them at flameout, or hop stand. Another ounce or two at FO/Hopstand will add some orange to this. Plus, dry hops. don't forget dry hops.
looks really good tho. Please post back with your final recipe, critique and pics!
Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
So long story short, i work two jobs and dont have enough brew time ive been really wanting to do a Mandarina Bavaria single hop all german ipa. Bit summer is getting near and i really want a saison maby i can get both in one beer well sort of.
6# pilz
3# vienna
1# wheat
1# candi sugar
Mash 149 90min boil
Light bitter charge at 60 1 oz tettnang
15min irish moss & kdap
10min 1 oz Mandarina Bavaria
0min 1ozMandarina Bavaria
Wyeast 3711
Possible dry hop 1 to 2 ozs

Looks good to me! I like Mandarina Hops. Nice citrus aroma but still a nice noble hop type of touch to them.
Personally, I would replace the tettnang hops with sorachi ace. I would also be sure to use light candi syrup. Perhaps maybe 1 gram of crushed pepper corns in the boil?
Suggestion for dry hopping...keep the hops at 1 oz, but in addition to the hops add 1/2 oz. of orange zest flash boiled in a small amount of water...if your going for a zesty beer.

:rockin:

The grain bill and mash look spot on for a nice dry saison. I am not sure that I would use the 10 min addition. I just did an IPA with MB hops, at flame-out and dry hop (1 oz at each), and the orange aroma was very nice. I would suggest that for the saison as well.

That's the nice thing about saison.....such a wide profile range. Really hard to screw up.

I misread his post. All I saw was IPA. My bad.

Iw as thinking of adding a little pepper to it would that work best at 15 min 10 min idk? The tettnang is just for a light bittering charge i think that would be a waste of ace. I will be dry hopping and i could use a bit of zest if i think it needs more zing. Thanks guys.

Iw as thinking of adding a little pepper to it would that work best at 15 min 10 min idk? The tettnang is just for a light bittering charge i think that would be a waste of ace. I will be dry hopping and i could use a bit of zest if i think it needs more zing. Thanks guys.

A guy in our brew club did a Saison with white pepper at flame out. It spiced it up nicely.

Back