Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

I bought a gallon of apple cider from a heritage variety called 'Grenadier' with Apfelwein in mind.

I tested it using my hydrometer (which i'm not very good at!) and the OG looks like 1.15, does this sound about right? It is a very dry juice and quite acidic.

I would like to ferment this to around 13% ABV although higher wouldn't be the end of the world. I have EC-1118 yeast and a couple others but the EC-1118 seems to get a good vote in the thread.

Can anyone guide as to how much sugar I should add to the gallon? I would like this to ferment dry.

Thank you!

I bottled this today! The 'Grenadier' gallon is still HOT but tasty, will need to age in the bottle a while. I also made a gallon with Pink Lady cider at the same time and bottled that today, that is freaking awesome, again won't hurt to age in the bottle but much smoother, just a bit of heat. Not quite sure but don't think the yeast could fully attenuate all the sugar, still slightly sweet, nice though, and strong, I'm having a glass with lunch and may well need a nap after!

Time is your friend frankjones ... :D

He he he. Yep. Time is my friend . I have several batches of beers bottle conditioning. So I figured I'd get into the apfelwein..

Now, as a rule, I don't open any beer I have made for a minimum of four weeks. The wheat / hefeweizen I don't touch for six weeks.

Hi guys,
first time trying to brew wine and just finished starting a 6 gallon batch of apfelwein.
5.5 gals of 100% apple juice (nothing but juice and ascorbic acid)
2.5# of turbinado sugar (a compromise between cane and brown sugar)
1pack of EC-1118

heated up 2 gallons of the juice and disolved the sugar in it before adding it to the carboy, put 2 gals of the remining juice in, let the temp come down to 75 then pitched the yeast and remaining gallon and a half of juice. shook the hell out of it for a few minutes to aerate before putting in the airlock.

my question is this, i pulled a sample to get O.G. and only showed 1.070. seems low to me or am i on track?

Hi guys,

first time trying to brew wine and just finished starting a 6 gallon batch of apfelwein.

5.5 gals of 100% apple juice (nothing but juice and ascorbic acid)

2.5# of turbinado sugar (a compromise between cane and brown sugar)

1pack of EC-1118

heated up 2 gallons of the juice and disolved the sugar in it before adding it to the carboy, put 2 gals of the remining juice in, let the temp come down to 75 then pitched the yeast and remaining gallon and a half of juice. shook the hell out of it for a few minutes to aerate before putting in the airlock.

my question is this, i pulled a sample to get O.G. and only showed 1.070. seems low to me or am i on track?

My last batch was right at 1.070 with more or less the same recipe. 3# sugar in 6 gallons. 1070 will net you 9% or better

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I entered a 9 month old batch in the County Fair and scored a disappointing 29. I entered it in category 28C dry/sparkling (Apple Wine) but when I got my score sheets back, they had judged it as a New England cider. Any idea what went wrong?

I'm late to this party!

I read Ed's article on the main page and proceeded to read about 400 pages of this thread. I have enjoyed Ed's haus ale quite a bit and figured since this sounds so easy and tasty that I had try this.

And now I wait...

Yep, 5Gal of Mott's processed per original recipe. First time trying anything other than beer. I'm going to let it primary for 2 months and bottle. Hope to enjoy some with the family for Christmas. Thanks Edwort!

I did a 5 gal batch exactly lock the original recipe. I now have a second 5 gal batch with white and brown sugars. I also used Montpellier yeast in the second batch. Curious how it works.

Bottled mine today!

1412538927504.jpg

I entered a 9 month old batch in the County Fair and scored a disappointing 29. I entered it in category 28C dry/sparkling (Apple Wine) but when I got my score sheets back, they had judged it as a New England cider. Any idea what went wrong?

I'm betting the judges didn't know what it was, I mean I've had new england cider and I wouldn't call apfelwein new england cider. New england ciders are never carbonated are they? I assume since you entered it in the sparkling category it was carbonated?

Would anyone have tried this with french saisson yeast? What would the results be like

Would anyone have tried this with french saisson yeast? What would the results be like

At the top of the page go to the "search this thread" window and type in "3711" or "saison" and search. I'm not trying to be a jerk telling you to google it. I've read most of the thread and I know people (including myself) have used that yeast but it would take forever to find the individual posts.

As for mine, I used 3711 on it and I'll be bottling in next couple weeks. It went from 1.092 to .997 the last time I checked. It is very dry and tastes like white wine.

Placed an order for 6 gals of (cider/juice) to make a 'traditional' 5 gal batch and a 1 gal batch with a twist. Just need to work out what that twist is now.

Yep, 5Gal of Mott's processed per original recipe. First time trying anything other than beer. I'm going to let it primary for 2 months and bottle. Hope to enjoy some with the family for Christmas. Thanks Edwort!

So about 12hrs after pitching had some bubbles...36hrs she is REALLY pumpin the CO2 out with no krausen. I have it just sitting in my basement where ambient is about 68F. Definitely getting the sulfur that folks have talked about...It's not running me out of my house but I'm really glad this baby aint in the bedroom. Lit a candle in the basement for a little while just in case SWMBO happened to walk downstairs for something :D It has got the cloudy/creamy look just like EdWort's pics. I'm sure it will all clear up in a few weeks.

The only thing that has me concerned is that I keep looking at my MLT and Grain Mill wondering how many Gal of apple juice they could be traded for:drunk:

Hey guys. Newbie question for you.

Do I really need to remove the apfelwein from the carboy? If I don't want to carbonate it, and I don't need a more convenient serving vessel, could I theoretically leave it in?

Also, could I potentially carbonate it in the carboy, if I had a stopper that would seal the carboy, and if I had enough dead space in the carboy to prevent the thing from exploding?

I don't have my auto siphon or racking cane with me (moved recently), and I think bottling is a pain in the ass, so I'm trying to be as lazy as possible with this. I know with more traditional beers, there is a lot of sediment that we'd want to leave behind before bottling, but with apfelwein, is that a concern? If I had, say, a 6 gallon carboy, could I put the ~5 gallons of apfelwein in the 6 gallon carboy with the sugar and yeast, then stopper it to develop carbonation?

Thanks a lot.

Hey guys. Newbie question for you.

Do I really need to remove the apfelwein from the carboy? If I don't want to carbonate it, and I don't need a more convenient serving vessel, could I theoretically leave it in?

Also, could I potentially carbonate it in the carboy, if I had a stopper that would seal the carboy, and if I had enough dead space in the carboy to prevent the thing from exploding?

I don't have my auto siphon or racking cane with me (moved recently), and I think bottling is a pain in the ass, so I'm trying to be as lazy as possible with this. I know with more traditional beers, there is a lot of sediment that we'd want to leave behind before bottling, but with apfelwein, is that a concern? If I had, say, a 6 gallon carboy, could I put the ~5 gallons of apfelwein in the 6 gallon carboy with the sugar and yeast, then stopper it to develop carbonation?

Thanks a lot.

Your carboy can not handle the pressure. Please don't try to do that. If you want just pour it into gallon jugs or something and keep them in the fridge.

Anybody ever added brett or bugs to this? I think someone mentioned this a while ago but i dont remember seeing any responses.

Your carboy can not handle the pressure. Please don't try to do that. If you want just pour it into gallon jugs or something and keep them in the fridge.

This. DO NOT try to cabonate in a carboy! If you really want to leave it in there, you could just use a sanitized thief to pull out what you want to drink. If you don't have a thief, you're going to have to carefully pour it into something else like WH said.

Anybody ever added brett or bugs to this? I think someone mentioned this a while ago but i dont remember seeing any responses.

Again, not trying to be a jerk but there's a "search this thread" button right under the page numbers at the top. I did a search for "brett." There's only 12 mentions but f you search lacto or bugs you'll probably get more.

Brett search

ETA: the search thread buttton is very helpful on these monster threads.

Is it normal for there to be a lot of CO2 in solution after 6+ months in primary?

I guess so. Mine has been in primary for more than two months and it's reached terminal gravity and the last couple hydro samples I've pulled are very effervescent. I'm actually afraid to bottle it. hahah

Anyone who has done this before care to comment? If I want it carbonated, at which point do I risk bittle bombs with CO2 in solution?

I find it odd that the primary method of serving is listed as "still," and yet there's no mention of degassing, even though it's far from still out of the primary.

The first time I tried EdWort's recipe, I substituted concord grape juice.

At the end of the cycle, I was floored by how NASTY it tasted! I left it in the basement, and completely forgot about it. 3 years later I re-discovered it and was amazed by how good it was! So this was yet another important brewing lesson to learn. One more lesson is that I should have taken the yet one more gravity reading, because I could barely make through a second bottle. It also sparkled which was a real nice touch.

This weekend I'm going to put up another batch, but I cannot for the life of me come up with a name that also gives reference to EdWort.

Ok, I'm in.

I have my first batch in the fermenter.

I also ordered 2 more 6 gallon carboys and 5 ponds of dextrose.

My plan is to step up to 6 gallon batches.

I didn't read teh thread far enough before buying ingredients, and bought not from concentrate apple juice....so I have more invested in this first batch than most.

My plans are next weekend to start two more, one with the standard from concentrate apple juice, one with cider.

I will keg this first batch in a 5 gallon keg.

Subsequent batches will be split into two 3 gallon kegs.

At that point I can set one keg in line for drinking and one aside for aging.

This should allow me to actually age out few more months without wanting to get into it.

As long as I keep the pipeline full.

I anticipate this becoming a staple as winter months see me doing less brewing.

I suppose no one can answer my question. Yay for potential bottle bombs.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I can't help...as I just pitched yeast on my first batch.

But reading through teh thread, you could do what many seem to and do a test bottle in a soda bottle to gauge carbonation.

Then pasteurize to kill teh yeast when it is carbed but before bombs away happen.

I suppose no one can answer my question. Yay for potential bottle bombs.

This is my first batch bro. My brother has made a lot of this and he might know. I called him earlier and he hasnt gotten back to me. I'll let you know what he says. Chill.

It's your first batch. There have been a number of people respond to the thread who have done it before, and they've completely passed over what could be a potentially dangerous situation.

It's your first batch. There have been a number of people respond to the thread who have done it before, and they've completely passed over what could be a potentially dangerous situation.

If its potentially dangerous, dont risk it.

I couldn't take the risk...I've never had a bottle bomb and I don't intend to. So I popped the caps and poured everything out.

Ok just kidding...I popped one of the caps and there was no carbonation at all. It seems like the bottling wand degassed it for me (each bottle fizzed like crazy when I bottled last night). I'll keep a cautious eye every couple of days by "testing" a bottle (in the name of science and safety, of course).

I'll have to say...this stuff is pretty good still, and it has zero alcohol flavor. Which is dangerous in its own way.

I've made this more than a few times and whenever I see more standalone carbonation than normal I just add 2/3c priming sugar instead of the 3/4c recommended. Never had a problem. Just stir your sugar in for at least five minutes and you'll be fine. Cheers!

Anyone who has done this before care to comment? If I want it carbonated, at which point do I risk bittle bombs with CO2 in solution?

I find it odd that the primary method of serving is listed as "still," and yet there's no mention of degassing, even though it's far from still out of the primary.

Check with Pappers - he's got a thread here about stovetop pasteurizing homebrew cider .... He can surely help you with some answers, I'd think.
Sounds like you're getting a sparkling wine .... If that's true, I'd bottle in champagne or cold duck bottles, and if that is true, I'd definitely NOT use regular wine bottles ;)
Just bottle some of it in a plastic (water?) bottle .... let it stay in a warm room for a couple of days, and see if the bottle gets hard - if it does, then it's carbonated! If it doesn't, no carbonation ....... Have you taken a hydrometer reading of it for a few days in a row? ... that should tell you if it's through fermenting .... but I'm not a wine-o, that's my wife! .... I'm just the beer-o of the house!

Check with Pappers - he's got a thread here about stovetop pasteurizing homebrew cider .... He can surely help you with some answers, I'd think.

Sounds like you're getting a sparkling wine .... If that's true, I'd bottle in champagne or cold duck bottles, and if that is true, I'd definitely NOT use regular wine bottles ;)

Just bottle some of it in a plastic (water?) bottle .... let it stay in a warm room for a couple of days, and see if the bottle gets hard - if it does, then it's carbonated! If it doesn't, no carbonation ....... Have you taken a hydrometer reading of it for a few days in a row? ... that should tell you if it's through fermenting .... but I'm not a wine-o, that's my wife! .... I'm just the beer-o of the house!

It went for 6+ months. It's done fermenting.

The issue is that it was incredibly effervescent when I racked it to the bottling bucket. I bottled it and primed it as a cider, in beer bottles. I also back sweetened with lactose.

My concern is that there is not a mention in the initial instructions of degassing, and if it is normal for a noticeable amount of CO2 to remain in solution even after a long primary (at 70*, no less), then degassing should be addressed.

Just talked to a lady today who grew up in Germany - they always made Apfelwein when/where she grew up .... I'm going to send her Ed Wort's recipe and a link to this thread ..... She'd like to make her own! Another convert to homebrewing !!!

It went for 6+ months. It's done fermenting.

The issue is that it was incredibly effervescent when I racked it to the bottling bucket. I bottled it and primed it as a cider, in beer bottles. I also back sweetened with lactose.

My concern is that there is not a mention in the initial instructions of degassing, and if it is normal for a noticeable amount of CO2 to remain in solution even after a long primary (at 70*, no less), then degassing should be addressed.

As I said above, i'm not a wine-o, but I'd just put it outside in a shed, garage, or something to see if it's overprimed (voice of experience here, a few years back, I overprimed and had about 4 gallons of a 5 gallon batch of bottle-bombs, but what survived was great!) As I said, Pappers has a lot of experience with this and he can probably help you out on this ..... as it is, I'd open a bottle or two, and see if you get overflows/etc. If it seems OK, I'd not worry too much .... if you think it's overprimed and you don't want to pop the tops on all of them and re-cap them, I'd just pasteurize them and stop whatever carbing is going on ATM. Pasteurization won't affect the current carbonation, but it will stop the yeast in it's tracks. I pasteurized the wife's cider and it turned out just right!
Here's a link to Papper's thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/ :rockin:

Back