Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started 5 gal last thursday... now my basement reeks of the farts. Oh well... here's hoping it's as good as ya'll claim.

I can't say that I've ever smelled anything "farty" from this... Then again, I prefer EC-1118 in this, so maybe that's why.

It is great stuff. No doubt.

I can't say that I've ever smelled anything "farty" from this... Then again, I prefer EC-1118 in this, so maybe that's why.

It is great stuff. No doubt.

I can. Almost every batch I made had a terrible smell while fermenting. Enough so that, my wife asked me to move it to another part of the house. Good news is that the bad smell goes away and the taste is awesome.

I've made this recipe a few times as originally posted. Has anyone successfully aged this on wood? I'm thinking of making a 6 gallon batch and splitting out 3 gallons to age without wood (possibly used for blending) and 3 gallons with wood. Can anyone help suggest the type of wood, form (chips, cubes, spiral), and estimated amount of time in contact with wood?

I've carbonated every batch to about 2.5 vol CO2. Is there any opinion on if the wood aged version should be carbonated?

I did an apfelwein aged with Hungarian medium oak cubes for 4 weeks, I did 3 ounces of cubes / 6 gallons cider. Came out incredible. See this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/oak-my-cider-two-options-362178/

It's been 1.5 years in the bottle at this point and it's only getting better. I carbed mine strongly (up near 3 volumes) and it's almost like champagne. I love it.

I did an apfelwein aged with Hungarian medium oak cubes for 4 weeks, I did 3 ounces of cubes / 6 gallons cider. Came out incredible. See this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/oak-my-cider-two-options-362178/

It's been 1.5 years in the bottle at this point and it's only getting better. I carbed mine strongly (up near 3 volumes) and it's almost like champagne. I love it.

That's almost exactly how I do mine; comes out great.

I'm happy to see someone else who likes this highly carbed. It seems like the "still" crowd is usually more represented around HBT.

Was going to cold crash the apfelwein for a day or two before bottling. Does anyone cold crash this stuff before they bottle?

Was going to cold crash the apfelwein for a day or two before bottling. Does anyone cold crash this stuff before they bottle?

I don't, but I've never had a clarity issue, if that's what you're worried about. I wait for the yeast to settle out and it's clear as can be.

That said, it couldn't hurt.

Just a pet peeve of mine.. I don't like to much settled yeast in my bottles.

Like I said, I leave it long enough in the primary to where most of the yeast settle out; there's a little "dust" in the bottom of each bottle, but I pour carefully.
I carb strongly, so [perhaps without justification, as there are always yeast in suspension] I prefer some yeast hanging about.

I say cold crash if you like.

So I have a very nice and sturdy growler from the Ithaca beer company that I'd like to use to store / prime. Ed Worts apfelwein in. I know the growlers are not meant for high carbonation like for beer... How much priming sugar .. Using plain old table sugar... To get a low carbonation so when it's done carbing it has a light fizz to it.

Getting ready to move out of this house and I stumbled upon 5 gallons I made 3 or 4 years ago still in the carboy. Poured a glass. Wow. Poured a second glass. Highly recommend. Potent. Cheers!

I just bottled three gallons of this. After a cold crash of 24 hours I took the gravity before I bottled it. It was .009 I started with 1.062. So this stuff is hot! Possibly drunk it with a dash of tonic or sprite!

No sure if anyone else posted this in the thousand plus threads, but I hate having to get dextrose for this recipe as I don't really use it for anything else.

I settled on 8 cups of table sugar in 4 cups of water and 4 tbs of lemon juice simmered for at least 30 mins and cooled. I straight sub this for the specified dextrose but I qs to 6 gallons not 5.

Hope that helps anyone else who hates ordering Dextrose :)

I just bottled three gallons of this. After a cold crash of 24 hours I took the gravity before I bottled it. It was .009 I started with 1.062. So this stuff is hot! Possibly drunk it with a dash of tonic or sprite!

That works out to about 138% ABV.

What was your exact FG? Something isn't right with your numbers or I'm interpreting it wrong.

No sure if anyone else posted this in the thousand plus threads, but I hate having to get dextrose for this recipe as I don't really use it for anything else.

I settled on 8 cups of table sugar in 4 cups of water and 4 tbs of lemon juice simmered for at least 30 mins and cooled. I straight sub this for the specified dextrose but I qs to 6 gallons not 5.

Hope that helps anyone else who hates ordering Dextrose :)

I use brown sugar. Lhbs is so over priced and I get 7.88% abv with two pounds in five gallons

I'm trying to wait until it's been in the bottle for 30 days... It's been eleven days now.

What variations has anyone used on this? Anyone use cranberry or another juice with apple ? Any tips?

I've made this before, and I and everyone I shared it with loved the results!

So, I'm trying a little experiment... I've got two new batches of this recipe running, with a slight twist.

Before pouring the apple juice, sugar, and such, I added 48 oz of Vintner's Harvest Raspberry puree into one carboy, and Sweet Cherry puree into the other.

It will be a few weeks before they're ready, but I'm wondering if any of you have tried this, and what your results were.

I didn't take an OG, so I don't really know what the final ABV will be. Thoughts?

So my apfelwein has been in the bottles eleven days. When I opened out I could hear a little co2 gas escape. But still flat. It smells great. But tastes a little on the bland sid still very good. Remotely reminds me of angry orchard hard cider. But that's a bit sweeter. So far good. I still think it's good. The 7.88% abv is well hidden. I know it needs time . another member mentioned it takes 30 or so to get to carb up. Very happy with this because 9 gallons cost me around 30 cents per bottle and if it's def OK now I have no doubt it will be amazing in a few months. Put away 12 of the 22 ounce bombers t not open until six months. Another set to not open for 8 months. I'm fueling my pipe line with some that I can drink in a few week (beers) and also some beers are marked not to open for three or six months. Depends on the beer. Over all I'm very happy with the apfelwein! Very happy. The 7.88 abv is undetectable... Lol until the 2nd bottle. Wow buzz!

OK just got into the apfelwein. Lol I mixed it with sierra mist not feeling it. Going to try a little sprite on the next one. Haha. I need a bigger pipe line.

i done this and its been in the primary for exactly 2 months. it now reads 0.99
do i bottle it? does it require any priming and if so how much

what am i supposed to do next

I started a batch today. 4.5 gallons of juice, 2.75 pounds of sugar which came out to about 1.092. I'm fermenting it with Wyeast 3711 French Saison yeast. Can't wait.

After 3 weeks and 2 days, mine has gone from 1.092 down to 1.017. The sweetness is just about gone and it's around 10% right now. It's delicious right now but I know it will dry out further and go through a phase of nastiness before it gets good again.

The only downside is that it has no belgian character from the 3711 and I don't know why. My brother has made it with 3711 and said it had lots of belgian character. Maybe it hasn't gotten hot enough.

I'm very pleased with it thus far. I see more better bottles in my future. :rockin:

I made an apple wine 4/27/14....checked FG 8/17/14 and tasted it.

The SG went from 1.084 to a FG at .990

I like the taste...not sweet...and I would call it dry.

Do I need to bottle or can I just serve/pour to glasses??? It is a 1 gallon jug.

Back